V6 tran with a 350?? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2000 Our previous General Forum
Replies ONLY - no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 99, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

I have a 89 RS camaro that is a v6 and i am putting in a 350.Will the tranny bolt up to it or will i need a new tranny..thanks if you can help..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 99, 06:50 AM
Tech Team

Is it an auto, or manual trans? It should bolt up, but will not last too long if the 350 has any performance mods done to it.

------------------
70 & 1/2 RS
SB406 & M20 4spd
9" rear

70 Malibu 350/TH400

Gold member #103

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 99, 11:01 AM

WAR,
If your V-6 is a 2.8 (pretty sure it is) then the trans will not work. The 2.8 trans has a different bellhousing than the small block. All this is assuming that it is an automatic.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 99, 05:50 AM
Tech Team

Bill:

Good point, I forgot about that darn 2.8. I just automatically thought of the 4.3. Thanks for setting me straight.

------------------
70 & 1/2 RS
SB406 & M20 4spd
9" rear

70 Malibu 350/TH400

Gold member #103

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 99, 07:06 PM

hey i want to make this a little clearer since i want to do the same thing...i have an 84 with a 2.8L 5speed, i want to put a 350 in will the 5 speed bolt to the small block or do i need a new bellhousing, or new tranny
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 99, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech

nick, the bellhousing flange on a 2.8 is completely different than a 4.3 v-6 or V-8. I believe there is a difference in the input shaft of the trans too. Best off to find a V-8 donor car.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 99, 09:25 PM

yeah the input shaft is 14 spline not 26 like the v8 tranny....it for the best i guess the 5 speed is on its last leg..i'll guess i'll run it into the ground..
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 00, 12:41 PM

Wink

If you want to keep a 5-speed in your car you need to get a 5-speed out of a 86-92 camaro with a V8. Also keep in mind that you can put a 6-speed into your car with little mods. Trust me I've seen it done.

------------------
Charles Taylor
89 Camaro RS
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 00, 04:37 AM
Senior Tech

Most 3rd gen cars with a 4 or 6 cylinder had 14 spline t-5's for manuals. The 8 cylinder cars had 26(?) spline. The v8 trans did not last long behind a 350 (IROC's were automatics), so you can imagine how lonf the even weaker 4/6 trans would last.

Do keep the six speed in mind. I have one in a 92 Firebird and love it. The swap was a cake walk.

Scooter, imagine if they had come with the 4.3's. Darn Camaros would have been as fast as the Vettes then....hey wait....maybe that why Chevrolet used the 2.8.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP
**How fast is just a matter of how much $$$ **

[This message has been edited by Mark W. Winning (edited 08-31-2000).]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 31st, 00, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech

Mike Knell of Jaguars That Run, a very large engine/transmission swap expert, calls people who insist on using the 2.8 and 4.3 transmissions, both automatic and stick, with V8 conversions "totally suicidal" and shows a few blow-up w/schrapnel pics in his swap manuals.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 01, 06:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nick:
hey i want to make this a little clearer since i want to do the same thing...i have an 84 with a 2.8L 5speed, i want to put a 350 in will the 5 speed bolt to the small block or do i need a new bellhousing, or new tranny<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick,
Fist off for the bolt pattern on the 2.8 is different then the V8's and even the larger V6's (why GM did this is beyond me)
Second if you have a factory 5-speed with the V8 bolt pattern it will not last on the 350. the 350 puts out to much for the factory 5-speed and it burns it up. the 350 and the 5-speed were not avaible on the same car from the factory.
you need a after market 5-speed. or just go with a 700R4

I will be making the same switch. I have done a ton of research one it and it will be difficult but thats not going to stop me!!

Hope this helps,
Chuck

------------------
I'm not shy, Im Just observing my Prey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode