Team Camaro Tech banner

69 Grill in a 67/68 Howd they do that?

28K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Nickt34 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#4 ·
Please send me a pic or two as well. I would love to see that without having to set up an account there.

Thanks!

#8 ·
I dig it but I don't know if I would do it. I guess that is what makes it a one-off. I do like the 69 front end better than the 68 BUT I would have no idea where to start with that... but then again, who really would... well, that guy would I guess...

#9 ·
Maybe I would do it....hmmm... now i am thinking about it...

#11 ·
Does anyone else feel we're entering an era where people will look back and wonder "What were they thinking?"
Don't get me wrong, I do like the look of the car. I'm just wondering if many of these customization trends will quickly drop out of style.

It's like an automotive timeline:
70's: Shag carpet, huge fender flares
80's: Neon colors, monochromatic paint
90's: Non functional Pro-Street Posers, rise of the trailer queens
2000's: customization for no reason other than being "different"

Trends come and go... but classic design is forever. :thumbsup:

#14 ·
I'm just wondering if many of these customization trends will quickly drop out of style.
I see what you are saying there, but the thing is about this particular mod is that it is keeping the classic look of the car's sibling so it does make sense to me. However, the more that I look at the rear, the less I like it. At first glance I thought it was bada$$ but then I looked at it a second time and realized that I really like the original tail lights but maybe more like a more modern twist on them like that Blackjack car like here:
http://www.superchevy.com/features/camaro/sucs_0707_1968_chevrolet_camaro/photo_03.html

I really like those tail lights. It is what I consider the modern twis on the lights, without losing the spirit of the design. However, I don't like them enough to spend $500 on light bezels... We got a new CNC machine at my work so all I gotta do is buy a ton of aluminum and read the manual, then try it, mess it up, and get more aluminum to screw up on, then after about $700 of screwing it up, I'll go and buy them thinking I got off cheap!

That is my luck...

#13 ·
That video was truly I N S A N E !!! AND I thoroughly enjoyed every second of it! Nice grille and nose fabrication too! I have always loved the beefy look of the 67-68 wheel wells, but only have owned 69 models because of the room inside and the grille. You truly have the best of both worlds there. Take care and enjoy it!

#19 ·
It sounds as if it was sectioned 5 inches. I would imagine that it would have to be taken from the center so that everything would match at the correct angles.

If you're wanting a definitive answer, I would go right to the source. Try sending the guy a PM on pro-touring.com. Most people are happy to know you like the look and are willing to share details of the build.
I saw a '67 in hotrod a few months back and later found the owner was a member of a board I now frequent. Once I found out I PM'd him and asked details of a specific component he built. He called me on the phone to describe what he did and sent me build pics along with a list of materials.

Just like the old adage goes... "It never hurts to ask" You may be surprised with how willing the owner is to share details.

#24 ·
Harri -

Welcome to Team Camaro! If you have the photos hosted somewhere on the web, you should just be able to link them here. I have mine on Photobucket, and there is a URL link option at the bottom of each photo I use to link them here.

#25 ·
I have seen this done by a local shop, and they did it like he did I think...

See picture below:

Cut grill along side of outer light opening and up/down the outer grille.

You now have 2 pieces of grill, a large section and a small section, you are going to trim on the small section.

Dremmel out the center grill section of the small piece, this should leave you with just a outer grill ring now.

Remove 2.25 inchs from the top/lower outer edge of the small grill section. I am cutting short of the 2.5 because each car is different and its better to measure twice, and cut once, etc... you can trim more as needed, but its hard to put back when dealing with plastic.

OK, now do the same with the other end. You cant test fit one end with out the other cut down because its still to long. So now you have a left center right set of pieces.

You then hang the center piece and try to fit in an end piece, shave off end piece as needed to get fit.

Once you have both ends fitted then you have to reattach the 3 pieces together. How you do that is up to you I guess. The shop I now of used a plastic welder, but I reckon epoxy, etc... would work also.

" I hate the std 67 grill and an RS setup can cost 2k."

I saw a 68 at carlisle this yr that cheated, I was thinking about doing the same thing. He bought the RS grill/headlight covers but did not use the motors, etc... he looks to have dremmeled out the headlight covers so that the center area of the cover wash the slot look just like the center of the grill. The headlight cover then was mounted with some home made brackets to mount to the grill.

The headlight covers never retracted, but cause he dremmeled out the center area behind the slots on cover the headlight could be seen and shined thru the cover. I only noticed it because it was the 1st rs i ever saw where the headlight cover was flush with the grill, instead of slightly backset.

Attachments

#28 ·
I love that grill. I was going to go with an RS grill but I think I will go this route. How would 69 tail lights look? Does anyone have a picture of that. That might be the ultimate looking Camaro? Also with the 69 lower valence like on the that bronze 68.

#30 ·
My 68 is very heavily customised (will they look back in 10 years and say WTF! probably but I will still own it and love then, I'm building mine to last the ages).

Anyway back on topic. The only customisation I have help back on at this stage is a 69 RS grille. Going a billet 68 with turn signals deleted (replaced by LEDs embedded between the billet fins).

I will one day put a 69 RS grille on my car but the budget is already so far blown out on my car that I had to stop somewhere. The only part of the car not modified or replaced (ie shipped with the car out of the factory) is the VIN tag, the basic skeleton and the trunk lid.

I love this 68 with a 69 grill and applaud all those willing to build a car the way they want it.

#31 ·
I am thinking of trying to put a 69 rs grill in my 68 just because I like the painted look on the lights. I have to replace the grill and probably everything that goes with it when I get to that point so why not make it custom and put the things I like best. There is nobody that has done the works e just selling a kit is there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.