I failed - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
I failed

Not sure if I am writing this to look for comments or as a therapy thing.
My mom had been battling lung cancer for the past few years. They got it the first time but it came back and she had been in and out of the hospital more and more lately. Both of my parents are older - Dad 88 and Mom 76. My camaro has been a part of out our family for over 30 years as it was my first car. I guess you can say like a grandson to them. When I finally had enough $ saved to start the restoration, they were both soooo excited which was a little over a year ago. When the cancer came back for a 2nd round, My mom said all she wants is to be able to make it to go to a car show with me. If that wasn't enough, around that same time Dad says to me I hope I can get a ride in that car before I die. I wasn't sure how to take that comment - If I get my car done, would that have given him/her a free pass to give up? I feel soo guilty for even thinking that so I worked on that damned car every night after work and all weekend long. I gave everything I had to get it done before anything happened. I failed mom - she passed a week ago today 8/4/16
Project 1BADSS has passed with her and project Memorial has taken its place. My wife did a little research about cancer colors and it appears white and pearl are the colors of lung cancer. I am a few weeks away from turning her over to the body shop and now have a color scheme picked out in honor of mom. I plan on running with the typical black/white z-stripe theme but adding the long lost technique of lacing into the z-stripes. I will be doing a white pearl lace pattern for you mom - I miss you and I love you and I am so sooo sorry I couldn't get it done in time-

'68 Camaro SS with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: I failed

First of all, sorry to hear about your mom.... she sounds like a nice lady. Don't let it bother you too much. Some things are beyond our control. I'm sure she is still watching over you and the car, and will be there for it's first cruise. RIP, mom!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 05:12 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

My condolences Greg. I don't look forward to that day.
pittpens24 likes this.

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 72 B
Semper Fi!

Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 05:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Sorry to hear about your mom. You did not fail!
pittpens24 likes this.

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/242@.050 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 05:50 AM
Brian

Garage

Greg - Sorry for your loss.

I am a strong believer that our spirits last long after the physical body is gone.

I bet your Mom is sitting next to you right now and she will know the time and effort you have been putting into the car. Ask for a sign and you will get one.

My Mom pasted 15 years ago and I still see signs that she is about the place checking up on me. I often hear phrases that were unique to her, coming out of strangers when I need to hear them most.

Sounds like the paint scheme is the right tribute to her for you and the car. You did not fail her, you showed her that you love her.

Brian
jr68 and pittpens24 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Sometimes people set goals for themselves to give them strength to carry on. I don't believe she intended to set a goal for you and I'm sure she wouldn't want you to feel like you failed and carry that with you. Your color choice sounds like a nice way to commemorate her. I haven't heard of the lace pattern in the stripes but it sounds very cool. I look forward to seeing pictures of it. Best wishes to you and your family.
pittpens24 likes this.

1969 Yellow/black Std Coupe Camaro. GMPP Crate 330hp/350 + TH350 trans.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 06:12 AM
Tech Team
Bud

Garage

Sorry to hear that your mom passed. You have not failed. Things change in our lives people pass. It is now time to move forward as I'm sure your mom can see your effort. I bet your Dad was kind of ribbing you to lighten things up. Post some pic's of the paint scheme. I am curious to see the final product. Bud....
pittpens24 likes this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Sympathies to you. I lost my Mom long ago, but it's her Camaro I'm driving and always thought about her during the restoration. Big reason I kept it just like she had it.

Scott
pittpens24 likes this.

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 08:03 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Sorry for your loss. My wife and I both lost our moms in their 60's. No one ever fails that tried. It's kind of ironic but not all things go well, my wife woke up in the middle of the night last night and said "what if things don't work out like we plan." I replied "it's not because we didn't try." I guess the same answer works for you too. Keep your mom in your heart and she will never leave. I was a mama's boy I miss her but smile when I think of her. My dad just passed also recently, he fought the good fight and made it to 89.
satz28 and pittpens24 like this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

you didn't fail! you did all you could, but sometimes it just does not matter.
my mom saw me and my bride leave the church in my 68 Camaro. soon after it was parked with a blown engine.
mom would often say to me "I would really like to see you get that car on the road"
times were hard for me in the 70s money was tight. so it continued to sit, but her words would ring out every now and then reminding me to get it running.
I started the restoration in 2011. mom was failing fast. I too worked day and night. sometimes through the night. none the less I didn't make it. mom died December of that year.
I feel your pain, but don't be to hard on your self. you did all you could
pittpens24 likes this.

sound track of my 68 383

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Greg, deepest condolences for go out to you and your family for your loss.......think of the precious time that you got to spend. I lost my Dad when I was a teenager and that stings.
Don't beat yourself up and finish the project as a tribute to her.
Take care.
pittpens24 likes this.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family.
I understand your position as my wife of 40 years was taken by cancer.
There is a higher power, I call him God, who has planned out our lives.
There is nothing one can do to change it. It would be nice to know ahead of time what course it will take.
Life is too short.

Get the Camaro fired up and take Dad for a ride. He will enjoy it.
Don't care if the Camaro is finished or not. Do it for him.

As far as writing, I recommend to do it - write to your heart's content - its makes grieving easier.
In fact, do whatever action makes you at ease in coming to terms with Mother's passing.
She is still in your heart, she is guarding over you from above, her spirit is still within you.
As you ride, she will be also - smiling every mile as you are.

Life's too short - enjoy it and tell others you appreciate them and love them.
It's soothing to give more than receive - I know and so will you.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'I wish the Dollar Store would sell gas,' '
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 01:58 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Greg, very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

Time is one thing we have no control of, and when the Lord calls, we have to go.

As for your thoughts on the color, I think that's a nice combo, and the pearl lace in the stripes sounds great...
pittpens24 likes this.

68 Camaro~LSx
Best to Date....and tuning
1.546 60'...7.132 @ 94.43 660'...11.327 @ 116.79.

<-Pics

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 16, 02:24 PM
John

Garage

I tell my son all the time I'm gonna be dead before he ever finishes his car. I say it to motivate.

Now I reconsider as I don't want him to think he failed me if I kick the bucket before its done.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 16, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

I don't know what to say other than thank you all for your kind and gracious words. On behalf of my family and myself - thank you!
As far as God's plan...... I think maybe he could have shown just a little compassion as my wife was just diagnosed with breast cancer. This is insane! I told my wife we are beating this thing! I lost my aunt and my mom but not her! Then I said to lighten things up, "honey I love you and since the stripes are already dedicated to mom, I am not painting my car pink"
jr68 likes this.

'68 Camaro SS with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode