Team Camaro Tech banner

Swivel seats in GM cars? 70's camaros?

7K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  wwallman 
#1 ·
Im in a hunt for folks that might recall if swivel bucket seats were ever offered as an option in any 70's camaros? I had them in my 74 chevelle laguna and it was offered in other mid and full size GM cars back in the 70's but Ive never heard of it in Camaros, my guess is the car was too small to make it work. Does anyone recall any info ?

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Coupé Sedan

See less See more
#3 ·
Don't know about them being offered but I just saw a few weeks go swivel buckets in a 70-73 Camaro. It was a low rider style Camaro with hydraulics etc.....so you can figure what the interior looked like. I thought it was cool and looked like it was done in the 80's.

#7 ·
I recall them in the mid 70's , Gm may have been trying to copy some of Ford Tbirds ideas , that along with the earlier models that had swing away steering columns. Seems people with a 6.70x15 tire under their clothings thought they were great, along with women that tore their stockings on the floor mats.

But at John mentioned, the swivel hardware were noisy.

#8 ·
None of my reference books show either swivel seats or a p/n for any swivel parts for Camaros. I do see references for Mid 70s Chevelles, Monte Carlos and Caprice with a notation that they were not available on full size Caprice wagons.

I did see a nicely done swivel seat conversion once at a show a few years back on a 71 Camaro. In discussing the seamless install with the owner he told me that the seat base swivel came from a Mid 70s Renault Le Car. He used the lower swivel base from the Renault that used less floor space than stock mounts and used the lower part of the upper portion of the Renault mount at which point he fabricated a graft for lack of a better term that enabled him to mount his stock front/back slider to the Renault base. May sound complicated but in looking at it the merging of the two mounts looked very simple and clean. Without getting down on hands and knees the seats looked perfectly factory stock. Owner said he had to build in a 1.5 inch rise to the mount so the seat bottom would clear the door sill. Could not tell that by looking at them.

I took some Polaroids of the conversion but moved since then and they are in the everlost box. But I still keep my eye out at junkyards and swap meets for a pair of Renault Le Car seats as the conversion was pretty simple and could be done in a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.