How do you set the miles back on the speedometer? - Team Camaro Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 04, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I didn't quite know where to put this, so I placed it here. (Admin) If this is inappropriate, please move it to the correct forum [img]smile.gif[/img]

After waiting for almost an entire year, this weekend I should finally have my car back. With a fresh engine installed, I would really like to roll the miles on the speedometer back to zero so in the future I'll know exactly how many miles I've place on it. If my mechanic forgot to do it, I will try and do it myself (provided that its legal). If so, how do I go about doing this?

[ 07-29-2004, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: garfield ]

When you buy an American car, you provide work for a man and his family for three months. -Jay Leno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 01:27 AM
Senior Tech

Question

I'm sure mileage tampering is illegal in all state. What about buying a new one?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 02:00 AM
Senior Tech

Instead of rolling back, why not go forward to 100,000 (basically 0 again), that doesn't sound as illegal. lol Hook up a cordless drill to the speedo cable and go to town.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 02:08 AM

It can be done, but you have to remove the speedo from the dash and get to the number wheels themselves. Rolling it back with a drill would take days and days.

It's not easy.... I know! They have to be moved in a certain order in the right directions.
In NY, there's no title for a car older than '75 so there's really nowhere that mileage is shown on registration docs. Once the car get's over a certain numbers of miles, a title will only show "...in excess of XXXXXX miles...." anyway.

Since I won't have a title, and the car is being rebuilt 100% from scratch like the factory, I put mine back to zero. Like it or not.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by 69:
I'm sure mileage tampering is illegal in all state. What about buying a new one?
This is one that I'm considering. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2485725268 I just shot the seller an e-mail asking if he/she had the ability to set the milage back to zero prior to selling. If they respond I'll post back and let you all know what they said.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 02:25 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Must not be to hard used car lots did it alot in the 70s and 80s.It is against the law to tamper with the miles.But I think this is aimed at car lots and people trying to sell late model cars as low milage.I have seen a few restorations with NOS speedos with 0 miles. Same thing as far I can see.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 02:36 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

On the title....at least in Michigan...are 3 check boxes for 1-actual mileage 2-not actual mileage 3-exceeds mechanical limit of odometer....just make sure you check the right box if you sell it and shouldn't be accused of trying to defraud anyone
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 02:56 AM
Senior Tech

You pull the speedo out, remove clip holding number wheels to assembly. Note the "tangs" are lined up on a strip of metal. You hold the wheel that shows each mile (way to the right)and turn the wheel to the left of it till it shows what you want. Then hold that wheel and rotate the next wheel to the left till you get your desired reading. Move though the whole cylinder and then load it back into the speedo assembly with the tangs locked into the metal strip as before and put the clip back on. Newer cars (I forget the year) have the whole asembly incased in plastic to prevent tampering. Oh yeah, wash your hands before you grab the number wheels. Nothing like greasy finger prints on your "low milage car" 8^).
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech

The drill trick is how guys do snowmobile odometers, I've never messed with an automotive odometer.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 07:21 AM

I tried it and wore a cordless drill battery down to nothing..... the numbers barely moved. It just doesn't spin fast enough. I'm sure it'd work eventually but doing it manually only takes 15 minutes.

Now, if you could hook a vacuum cleaner motor up to the speedo cable....
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Down here (Texas) vehicles over a certain age are mileage exempt (meaning the vehicle likely has mileage in excess of mechanical limits) and is clearly marked as such on the title. My assumption is that if the title is exempt from mileage then it legally makes no difference what the odometer says- so long as you do not misrepresent the odometer reading when sold.

I had to replace the spedo on my Harley years back- the new one had all zeros. When I sold the bike I gave the new owner the old spedo to prove how many miles the bike had before it broke.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Its easy to do once you take the speedo apart. I bought a nice used cluster to replace my broken up original and i spun the mileage around to match my original odometer reading.Cant see how thats illegal.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by 68RSZEE:
You pull the speedo out, remove clip holding number wheels to assembly. Note the "tangs" are lined up on a strip of metal. You hold the wheel that shows each mile (way to the right)and turn the wheel to the left of it till it shows what you want. Then hold that wheel and rotate the next wheel to the left till you get your desired reading. Move though the whole cylinder and then load it back into the speedo assembly with the tangs locked into the metal strip as before and put the clip back on. Newer cars (I forget the year) have the whole asembly incased in plastic to prevent tampering. Oh yeah, wash your hands before you grab the number wheels. Nothing like greasy finger prints on your "low milage car" 8^).
I'm gonna keep this in mind....Thanks!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 04, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Eric

Hey Show -- noticed you are here in GR. Ever go to C's, Gemmens, Dairy Ranch, etc?

E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 04, 03:52 AM
Senior Tech

Once you have the speedometer out and on the bench, itís about a 5 minute job to move the numbers. But while you have it out you might as well spent a little more time and clean and lube it. Donít try to clean the number roll! Iíve wiped the paint off the numbers with dish soap and water on a soft toothbrush, and WD40 will dissolve the paint instantly and the same applies to the face.

Ron
The ďJunk Yard DogĒ
An exercise in interchangeability on a Well optioned 67 SS 350 vert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode