Paint Your Car Online - Using Your Computer - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 07, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Lance Baker

Paint Your Car Online - Using Your Computer

Ever wonder what your car would look like in a different color ? Don't have the $$$ to repaint it just to find out ? Neither do I.

However, there is a very interesting shareware program online called
(((( Paint.net )))) It is an excellent and yet inexpensive photo editor that you can download for free---however they do recommend a $10.00 donation, which I gave when I realized how good this program was. Simply search it out via a Yahoo search for Paint.net, then download.

Below are a few samples I created of my own Camaro. My car is currently PPG Hugger Orange, with a black oversized hockey stripe, chased with a 1/4" stripe around the outer edge---done in PPG Platinum. Looks like chrome in the sun.

The program allows you to change the hue and saturation of the color. I've provided some wild examples, like the lime green. However, you can mute that green and give it a more subtle look, as I did with the other green example. Also, check out the pencil sketch as well---would make a neet post card !!!

This program is a fun tool for the computer, but could also assist someone out there that can't decide on what color they want to paint their car. They could take various pics of other cars and adjust the color until they get close to what they want.

Oh---and one side effect---it'll change the color of your lawn as well.

Enjoy---Lance in Mesa, AZ

19SIK9 Lance Baker Mesa, Arizona
Hugger Orange '69 - Blown 383 - caged - slammed - 17" TTII's - a little Old School blended with a little ProTour makes for one bad '69

Last edited by 19SIK9; Mar 18th, 08 at 10:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 07, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Re: Paint Your Car Online - Using Your Computer

I like the drawing affect.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line http://www.camaros.net/forums/133-build-projects/211805-my-67-camaro-time-line.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 07, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Lance Baker

Joe,
I tried to work a little with the pick of your '67 and came up with the following. I think the program requires a slightly more pixelated type format in order to get the effect of the drawing that I did on mine.

However, it does give you a slightly more artsy-fartsy shot of your '67.

Feel free to use for Christmas cards----LOL.

Lance

Hugger Orange '69 - Blown 383 - caged - slammed - 17" TTII's - a little Old School blended with a little ProTour makes for one bad '69

Last edited by 19SIK9; Mar 18th, 08 at 10:54 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 07, 10:37 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Here try a newer shot. I don't have any of it togehter but it might give an intresting effect to the new paint color!!

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211805
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 07, 11:09 PM
Team Member
Matt

Love the color variations on your Camaro, but the psychedelic grass is kinda scary.

Thanks for the tip.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 07, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Lance Baker

JOE,
Your car was fun to work with, especially with that Candy Apple red depth you've got going on. Nice color choice for this year. I like seeing people step out of the box when it comes to paint.

I think you'll appreciate the Cobalt blue and possibly the copper color. I'm personally a fan of greens. Your car came out a little bright in greeen, but that's just the way the program runs.

The first pictured red one is your original color.

I had to reduce the pics a little for them to all download. But I think you get the color idea anyway.

Enjoy-----Lance in Mesa, AZ

Last edited by 19SIK9; Mar 18th, 08 at 10:54 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 07, 05:47 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

The blue next to the orginal color (Prowler Orange) looks like a color i was thinking of painting it. Lazer Blue from GM. The color next to that is what the car looks like in shadows or low light and no sun out but not dark out eighter. The Prowler Orange really changes up from what you see and that bronze color.

I love that bright green, that's almost a Rally Green and I thought of maybe going witha color simular to this color......I was just not brave enough to do it.

I love the Teal Color and that would have been hard choice of between what I have now and that color!! My color being and OEM Color made it way cheaper to buy that some custom colors though.

Thanks!! They look great. Maybe someone will get the nerve to go with that green. It would look very cool I think.

-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=211805
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 07, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
J.A.

I have tried downloading , but no go.
Any ides?

Thanks.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 07, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Lance Baker

You may want to see if it installed in your Programs list----via the start button. When I downloaded----it went in without a glitch.

Also, since this is "shareware", it didn't make a difference if I contributed or not, as I tried the program first, then went back and gave them a $10 donation----so we can rule out the donation factor.

Other thing to consider is whether you are running Window XP, etc. I have XP and I think their program is set to run with that----but not sure if capable with Vista or even a lower level such as Windows '98.

I'm no techy---so only real advice I can offer is keep trying and if all else fails, check their forums column.

Lance in Mesa, AZ

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 07, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19SIK9 View Post
Ever wonder what your car would look like in a different color ? Don't have the $$$ to repaint it just to find out ? Neither do I.

However, there is a very interesting shareware program online called
(((( Paint.net )))) It is an excellent and yet inexpensive photo editor that you can download for free---however they do recommend a $10.00 donation, which I gave when I realized how good this program was. Simply search it out via a Yahoo search for Paint.net, then download.

Below are a few samples I created of my own Camaro. My car is currently PPG Hugger Orange, with a black oversized hockey stripe, chased with a 1/4" stripe around the outer edge---done in PPG Platinum. Looks like chrome in the sun.

The program allows you to change the hue and saturation of the color. I've provided some wild examples, like the lime green. However, you can mute that green and give it a more subtle look, as I did with the other green example. Also, check out the pencil sketch as well---would make a neet post card !!!

This program is a fun tool for the computer, but could also assist someone out there that can't decide on what color they want to paint their car. They could take various pics of other cars and adjust the color until they get close to what they want.

Oh---and one side effect---it'll change the color of your lawn as well.

Enjoy---Lance in Mesa, AZ
There is a free one that is like photoshop that was brought over from linux for windows called gimp. I have not tried it on windows because I have photoshop but I did use the linux one and liked it a lot. here is a link to it. http://www.gimp.org/windows/

Have fun with it Bob

67 SS350 convertible
In pices for now
http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i37/Mud_Rat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode