single stage paint questions - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

single stage paint questions

OK, I initially posted a thread regarding SPI epoxy primer, but I found myself with more questions than when I started, so I broadened the post (feel free to delete the other one).

I plan on using an epoxy primer with a single stage paint. My questions are as follows:

1. what is a good brand of single stage paint to use? I am looking for a good quality paint at not PPG prices. haha.

2. where can I find both the epoxy primer and paint? I would ultimately like to use the same brand primer and paint. While it's not necessary, I'd just rather use the same brand if I have any issues. I'm having a hell of a time finding either single stage paints or any suppliers near me on the internet, and I am usually more than adept at finding things on the net.

3. when shooting, how long should I wait between coats of single-stage paint? I'm sure I'll find this answer on the net somewhere, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 01:11 PM
Senior Tech

Re: single stage paint questions

check out eastwood.com

they have the paint you need, and it depends on the paint, but usually you can spray another coat after 15 min
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I've read that eastwood's paints aren't great. Is this true? On top of that, I need LeMans Blue, and I'm pretty sure they don't carry it. I want it to be exact.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 01:22 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Tom View Post
I've read that eastwood's paints aren't great. Is this true? On top of that, I need LeMans Blue, and I'm pretty sure they don't carry it. I want it to be exact.
i have no idea

i was actually just ready to buy some of their primer and paint.. i hope someone else can tune in
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 01:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

ok have seen this question alot lately...

I would pass on the eastwood auto paints, I check their forums often and to date no posts have popped up praising or backing the product. Its most likely a private labeld low end paint.

Your local paint supply store will have paints that do not hang in the ppg price range. Or there is tcpglobal.com. They sell private labeled paint under the kustom shop name and restoration line paint. These are both valspar based paint lines supposedly. I have used kustom shop on some small projects and like what I have seen. I have been using the kustom shop hi build primer around here on various projects and just ordered some more for the camaro project.

I have not used restoration line before but hear it is pretty thinned down and takes a little more paint to get good coverage.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 01:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

As for Lemans Blue, at least with PPG, it does not exist. The book crosses it to a color from the late 70's, don't recall exactly which. It's VERY close.

When you buy your paint make sure you get the datasheet.
The datasheet has lots of info, including product compatibility, recommended reducers, recoat time, tape time, tape removal time, everything you can think of, every question you could ask, will be on the datasheet. Follow it exactly.

JimM's firstgens.com Camaro Board

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hmm, interesting re: the color. I've used this place in the past http://www.carpaintonline.com/index.php and they use the original codes to match the color. However, I believe it's their "own brand" (I'm not sure what products they're using to mix), but say it's very close to PPG Concept DCC single stage paint. It's also $230 per gallon.

I checked out the Kustom Shop and didn't really see any single stage paint. Perhaps I missed it? I'd also worry about the colors matching up with the original. I'd really like it to be as close to original as possible.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Southern polyurethanes makes a good inexpensive single stage urethane. Lots of good paint/body advice here http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 02:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

SPI does not make le mans blue, plus they are getting out of the paint industry.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 02:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

I would hit my local paint supply co. they will have omni, nason, etc... that I am sure they can color match for you. Dealing with online co's and remote suppliers is not as safe bet as a local paint supplier. If I had a specific paint blend I wanted I would be getting it locally instead of internet/phone/mail order.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Well, I think that's the way I'm leaning based on the difficulty I've had on the internet. Now I just need to find a good local paint supply company. Anyone know of any in NY or NJ?

Based on what I've read, it seems like SPI is a good way to go with the epoxy primer, no matter what paint I end up using.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: single stage paint questions

You might want to check out the "Kirker" line.
Here is a link to their AE line - http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/Kirk...c-enamels.html

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
Other V8 things - some of which float
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 03:07 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

If u are going single pot u have enamel or laquar, I dont think the old nitocellelose is avalable any more unless u buy lots of nail polish.
These paints dry rather than cure, which have there own quirks also
Any undercaoats, espec the last coats for fimal block down, should be left for a good week before blocking...this gives them a good chance to shink 1st
Enamel is not very forgiving, it runs/hangs easy and not suitable to sand out, means wiping off panel and respray....
1st coat thick enough to just see thru, 2nd coat goes on when u touch with the finger and it stretches, this holds the sec coat up...u then get the hell out, and leave for 12 hrs
It is slow dry and if mixed and put on correct at the right temps will flow out over night.
Enamels, if cut will loose a little of the orginal gloss, but still looks good.
After a month or so polish, and maintian a good polish as they do over period tend to chalk off.

Laquar is very forgivng, fast drying, nice finish but lot of finish work.
Again let undercoats dry like enamels, and final block down
1st coat again so can only just see thru, by the time u have finished the 1st dump, where u started will be dry to touch....hit in with a quite heavy coat, but dont go overboard, u have to be real agressive to get it to hang or run..Then hit with a ouple good coats of clear.
let dry for a week then light wet sand with 1200, and again heavier with 1600.
Then cut.. polish about a month later.

All systems should use the right type of undercoats and thinners, not doing so can end up with alsorts of issues from frying, paint cracking after couple summers, to paint going glug in the pot.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 08, 07:54 PM
Tech Team

Although I haven't tried it yet, I don't shoot very much single stage, I am thinking Utech (sikkens now owns them)might make a decent single stage if you want to save some cash. At least there base seemed to be nicer with better coverage then omni-ppg owned or limco-basf owned, and the little I see mentioned of utech, I don't ever really see bad comments.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 08, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

A member here on the boards contacted me regarding a couple of gallons of single-stage R-M lacquer paint he has. Said he's had it about 20 years, stored in a warm garage, and has been shaken periodically. Seems like a good price for the paint, so I'm interested. I'm a little concerned about the age of the paint, but if it's been properly stored and shaken every so often, it should be ok, no?

Any thoughts? In no way am I trying to undermine the member. I just really am a newbie when it comes to paints, so I want to make sure I have all my information first. I do know to match up all lacquer products and not mix with urethane products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode