Team Camaro Tech banner

First timer restoration, 67 RS

99K views 392 replies 44 participants last post by  Redec 
#1 · (Edited)
I have posted many threads asking questions and have got great advice from this forum, but I think it's time to start my own build thread so I can consolidate and recieve advice in one place.

Here is the history. I got this car sometime in Dec 2007. I had 2 friends who are in the business that went with me to get it. They were all out going to help me put this car together. Well, that didn't work out quit like I planned. With absolutly no experience in the field, and after reading many many threads. I decided to tackle it pretty much alone, with the help from camaros.net of course.

For thorough pictures you can check my sig, but for this threads sake, I'll try to hit the main parts.

Here is the car when I picked it up

Me getting it ready for the jig

Floor cut out and rocker work beginning

See less See more
#4 ·
Now I was planning on putting in my new rails and trunk next after a little fab work on one of my Y braces, but I am also considering removing the rest of the quarters and roof. I have full quarters to put back on and a new roof, but I was going to ask if my bracing looked good enough to take it that far down. I have the front torque boxes bolted to the jig, the rear of the rockers welded and braced to the jig, and supports welded to the package tray. running veritcal and horizonal. If I do it I plan on blasting the rest of the care before I put the rails and floor in it. What do you think?

You can see the rear bracking good here.

#5 ·
Cory...

Looks like you got a nice jumpstart on that resto for sure! Looks good...! Should be a similar road that I traveled down with my resto. Reminds me of when I started on mine. What colors are you going with?

Nice work! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
Cory...

Looks like you got a nice jumpstart on that resto for sure! Looks good...! Should be a similar road that I traveled down with my resto. Reminds me of when I started on mine. What colors are you going with?

Nice work! :thumbsup:
Back to the original, GG....Granada Gold with black standard int and black BB stripe.

Thanks for the kind words Todd, I have of course been in your thread hundreds of times for references and planning. These threads are so useful.

#9 ·
Wow, Cory- Looks very familiar!
Nice work, what's the time frame you have tied up in the project,so far?
I started on the car about 13 months ago. At first, while breaking down the car, I was working on it 3 or 4 days a weeks. After I got it on the jig I have pretty much been a weekend warrior with the exception of the week I blasted and primed the front.

Also- this is your "first" project?
I owned a clone 73 z and I did a lot of engine work with it. Worked at a local pepboys and turned wrenches when I was younger. Nothing major body wise. I didn't own a welder before I bought this car and I never considered getting this deep into a project by myself.

Did you replace the inner as well as outer rockers?
Inner and outer on both sides. Also a kick panel seperatly. I didn't know it need to be replaced so I ordered my inners w/o the kick panels.:confused:

#13 ·
Well I finally got my metal to put in some extra support. Got the bracing finished and started on the quarters.

But now I see just how bad my inner quarter is rusted. I have to decide if I want to replace this or maybe try to fab a small piece for it. The other side shouldn't be as bad but it does have some rust through it too.

Looks good on this side.

#14 ·
Looking great! You will verrrrry happy you braced it up like that to maintain the original dimensions everywhere. As long you don't mind working around it. Will you have to remove it all before installing the full floor or can you wiggle it in there?
Keep up the nice neat work. Looks like you have done this before:yes:!

PS.

I have a nice wooden body cart for sale if you're interested. :D;)

#16 ·
Do you plan on feeding the floor in through the rear of the car, front windshield, or folding it in half and then unfolding it after? (just kidding on the last one) ;)

I had an easy time sliding it in through the trunk, but when I slid the complete trunk pan into position--whew! that was tight! I should have left off one inner wheel well so it would have been easier, but hey, I like to work symmetrically for some reason.

#19 ·
Got most of the roof and quarters removed over the last couple of weeks. It's been spontaneous working on my car. Only thing left is the front window metal of the roof and rear window/quarter metal.

I need to figure out how I am going to get accurate measurements from the original drip rails before I remove them and replace with a new set. Any suggestions?

#21 ·
Looks great Cory! My 67 Vert is Granada Gold with black bumble bee stripe. (crapy paint job) but still that combo. I have kicked around going back to that combo but its hard to resist the appeal of all the flashier colors like of course, Bolero red. Time will tell. You do very nice work, and great pics!. Jeff

#27 ·
Cory

Your Camaro is looking outstandiing! I just caught up on your thread and am amazed at your learning curve. Looks like you'll be passing me up soon at this rate. I've been playing "daddy" and Mr Mom lately (just had twins), and loving it! :yes: I do admit though, I went through a withdrawal period from not working on my Camaro though. :sad: Soon enough....

Anyway... great job and keep on movin'. :thumbsup::beers:
Who knows? Maybe soon, I will be checking out your thread for tips on how to weld up the floor, trunk floor, and frame rails? :)

#31 ·
I take it you did your own blasting. What equipment did you use and where did you do it? Curious, since I will have to decide to do my own or take it somewhere.
I have a pressurized blaster, funnel type, and a 60 gal black max 5hp. I blast until my compressor cuts on and has been running for around 3-5 minutes then I take a break to let it rechrage and rest. You can also watch your pressure and if it drops below your desired psi let it recharge.

My advice for anyone thinking about buying a blaster is get a pressurized blasted that has the big mouth so you can dump the media in. Pressurized and big mouth is key. Funneling in 100 lbs of media is not fun.

A good hood/shield and breathing filter is a must. The silica is posionious.

I lay down one of the huge orange tarps in my drive way. When I use all my media I push my car off and use the tarp to gather the used media up in the center. Put it in buckets, then I strain it through a window screen straininer I made out of some pine I had left over from another project. You can buy a strainer too.

I also use a padded blanket on the opposite side of the car I am blasting to direct some of the stray media down. I still get media in my driveway but not enough to make a big deal about.

Make sure you have all house windows and doors shut when blasting. The more you reuse the media, the dustier it gets. 3 times is my limit. The black diamond from TSC is great but it gets hard to see sometimes because of the darker dust.

The first time I blasted I made a little room in my garage. Even though I spent some time making it, it still got all over the garage. It's a pain to clean up not to mention how much nastier it gets while being enclosed.

#29 ·
Not sure how I've missed your thread up till now Cory but have to say your making some impressive progress and nice work while at it. Just out of curiosity are you blasting and priming inside the shop thats showing in your pics? If so your doing one hell of a job keeping the place clean much more so than I do in my shop.

#30 ·
Cory

Need a quick favor from ya when you get a chance inbetween all that blasting...

In the picture below, can you please measure the distance between the center of each frame rail locator pin to the inner surface of each inner rocker panel? That would be awesome! Let me know if you need me to clarify to make sure.... I want to make sure I am centering my rockers around those pins correctly.

#33 ·
Cory

Need a quick favor from ya when you get a chance inbetween all that blasting...

In the picture below, can you please measure the distance between the center of each frame rail locator pin to the inner surface of each inner rocker panel? That would be awesome! Let me know if you need me to clarify to make sure.... I want to make sure I am centering my rockers around those pins correctly.
I will get the measurement when I get home from work today. I tried to brace them but I cannot promise they are in the factory position. I have seen some people complain about spread and have to pull the rockers together to get the full floor to fit.

#39 ·
Okay thanks! I will compare mine to that and see what I have. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.