KK tripoli turquoise - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 13, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Garage
KK tripoli turquoise

Does anyone have the correct PPG formula for this color in BC/CC paint? I think I can have a scan done of the orig paint but I am worried about how accurate that is going to be. I am getting close to paint on my 68 SS 350 and am worried I will get the color wrong. Just curious, is there a difference between 69' Azure turquoise and 68' Tripoli turquoise? They look very similar to me.

Thanks, Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 13, 05:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Re: KK tripoli turquoise

I'm sorry, I can't help you. But I am curious because I think Tripoli turquoise is a great color. My car was originally that color before I bought it. (When I bought it, it was in white primer and STILL hasn't seen real paint!!!) Hopefully someone can help you out. Here are two great pictures of Tripoli turquoise or what I HOPE is Tripoli turquoise!

Good luck.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 03:26 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

If those pics are of a Tripoli Turquoise car, it's definitely a different color than Azure Turquoise. My daughter was set on having me paint her car Azure Turquoise, and we looked at tons of pics of cars in that color, and they definitely don't look like the car in the pics above.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech
Monty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If those pics are of a Tripoli Turquoise car, it's definitely a different color than Azure Turquoise. My daughter was set on having me paint her car Azure Turquoise, and we looked at tons of pics of cars in that color, and they definitely don't look like the car in the pics above.
I have never seen an Azure Turquoise car in person but isnt it real close to Lemans Blue with just a hint of green?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

This PPG paint chart for 1968 Chevrolet models indicates 13517.

Looks like 69 Azure Turquoise is PPG 2078:

Note that BC/CC paint systems may appear somewhat different from the original lacquer paints, so probably a good idea to mix a small quantity in your chosen color and shoot some test areas....

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Raced in E/MP at Lions in LA. Now restoring!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 04:44 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
I have never seen an Azure Turquoise car in person but isnt it real close to Lemans Blue with just a hint of green?
I'd say it's quite a bit lighter than Lemans Blue- closer to the Glacier Blue with some green in it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

Nice car Tim....That is exactly the color mine was originally (I think). I have the black stripe that goes down the door also. I am going to see if the computer at the paint store can come close to that color. Unfortuneately, I have only the paint under the door panel to go by. Previous Earl Shibe 70's paint wasn't even close to the original.

Bob
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 13, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmadbob View Post
I have only the paint under the door panel to go by. Previous Earl Shibe 70's paint wasn't even close to the original.
Bob
The area under the door panel may not have had full coverage from the factory, so color-matching from that might throw the paint scanner off; you may be OK, but so many cars just have varying amounts of factory overspray on top of primer....

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Raced in E/MP at Lions in LA. Now restoring!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmadbob View Post
Nice car Tim....That is exactly the color mine was originally (I think). I have the black stripe that goes down the door also. I am going to see if the computer at the paint store can come close to that color. Unfortuneately, I have only the paint under the door panel to go by. Previous Earl Shibe 70's paint wasn't even close to the original.

Bob
A prophet will provide the wrong color if reading the primer showing through. If you want to verify color you need a good sample or find someone with a satisfactory match. Forget about photos or pictures on line, they can't be relied upon for accuracy.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 12:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Thanks Scott. The information you share about paint is much appreciated. I'm no where near paint, but I'm constantly looking for certain colors in real life. I want to see a seafrost green and a Tripoli turquoise in person. As I said, I HOPE that car was Tripoli turquoise because it looks great in that light on my computer! Other pics on line (not accurate) are not as nice. Paint is very much a mystery to me! Thanks again.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 13, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Buy a couple half pints and shoot test panels to see which code you prefer.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 13, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Send a message via AIM to AutoRodTechnologies Send a message via Yahoo to AutoRodTechnologies

I could check tomorrow if this color is available in pro-spray if you would like..
They are hit and miss on some of the older colors though.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 13, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Garage

Well, I went down to the local PPG dealer and he had a formula for that color in I believe Shopline level paint. He mixed up a pint and I asm going to compare to see how close it is. I have my fingers crossed that it will be close!Bob
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 13, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Please post some pics and let us know how it turns out.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 13, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

You can call the PPG library and see if they have a formula on file in DBC. Jobbers are not always on top of their game. Or try BASF or Sikkens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode