Team Camaro Tech banner

Pre-painting a car

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sauron67MM 
#1 ·
I just finished watching the latest episode of Graveyard Carz and I see that they pre paint the car when it is all apart, then assemble it, line up the panels and block sand it one last time prior to painting the entire car assembled. What is the purpose of this step versus jamming the car apart and assembling it? Also it didn't appear that they cleared it so did they use a single stage and base/clear afterward? I'm trying to figure out whether I want to paint mine when its dis-assembled or put it all together and paint. I don't like tape lines and rough edges.

#3 ·
Both ways get to the same end result....I was taught cutting in.
I will also say all the cars I painted were daily drivers, no "show cars"...so there may lay a difference ?

#4 ·
I panel paint solid colors and paint metallics assembled.

Don

#5 ·
They cleared the cars, I'm not sure what you saw.

The process I 'think' he is referring to is color and clear. Remove from the booth, wet sand, then take it back in for more clear. It did appear on the one episode that they had more color to apply on the 'final' paint. May have just been spotting in an area they blew through.

Remove and wet sand and polish. I don't think he's doing anything different from most custom shops.

#6 ·
No for some reason he paints them twice. I've never seen it before but that's what he does.

Do

#7 ·
Yes he paints them twice, you can see on the last episode where he painted the front nose and doors but not the rear clip, then they redid some body work on the fender lines to get them to line up with the doors after it was assembled.

#9 ·
Solid or metallic? If metallic, is your booth large enough to properly set up the nose separately from the shell.? Do you have two booths from which to operate for multiple panel shoots? It is very easy to eliminate tape lines when painting assembled by using EZ Edge or 3M smooth transition tape, followed by a quick touch off with 1000 and a fast jamb flowcoat prior to the body being cut and buffed. You will never notice when done this way, which is just one method. Taking time to correctly mask will eliminate all overspray in the jambs, engine bay and undercarriage. 100% of my bodywork and panel alignment is accomplished prior to paint. Why would people would want to paint, and then do additional bodywork for panel alignment issues? Not sure what pre-paint means in your post; I don't watch reality TV . Flowcoating is a common procedure done by many if that is the method to which they are referring.

#10 ·
I plan to paint it the original 1969 Lemans Blue. I don't have a booth per say, I will paint it in my home garage and build a temporary positive pressure booth. The last car I did was a solid yellow color and I painted all apart and put it together very carefully. I've never used EZ edge or transition tape therefore not experienced in hoow to use it. What would be the best method with this color?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.