Team Camaro Tech banner

68 JJ code Coupe Rebuild

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  68 RS/SS Ragtop 
#1 ·

Picked up this v8 4speed body. I'm going to use all the leftover original driver quality take-offs from my convertible project. It had quarters, rear valence and front floor and trunk pans done, but spend several years outside after the owner passed away. It real straight, but has lots of surface rust.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Big choice has come up. I came across pair of original GM SS 68 standard fenders. They need a little work in the usual lower rear spot. They're factory drilled for engine, SS, Camaro badges and the bright wheel opening trim. I want to use my RS headlamp equipment. I'm loathe to cut a pair of original fenders to insert rs conversion brackets if the fenders I have are of any significant value. I was considering getting reproduction rs fenders, but is it worth the time and money or should I just get the conversion brackets. What sayeth the internet world?

#8 ·
I don't have a real answer but I was facing the same choice on my 68 project car. I wanted to add RS to it and read that converting standard fenders to RS needed the bracket and the advice was to weld it in but they could be bolted. I researched buying RS reproduction fenders and some of the input was they aren't always a great fit. Since I had well fitting original fenders I decided to keep them. But I ended up selling the car and getting a real RS before I had to pull the trigger.

But I sure hope you're going to keep the car JJ :)

#10 ·
Thanks for the input. I'd like to see it JJ with the white SS stripe. If I keep it, it will go that way. Right now, I'd just like to get it together in primer. The purpose of the whole excercise was to use up all the leftover parts, not create a leftover pile to do a third one :grin2:

#13 ·
Hi, thanks for your interest. Yes, I'll be willing to sell the car as soon as I get the title. This body/shell came without a title the rest of the parts are mine. A South Carolina title has been applied for. It may take 45-60 days from now to be processed. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.