Team Camaro Tech banner

Sheet Metal Suppliers

15K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  HawkX66 
#1 ·
Going to be ordering some sheet metal parts here soon for my 69.

It will be the 1 piece floor pan, firewall(lower) and cowl panel(upper firewall).

I know AMD is the preferred supplier but with these parts, has anyone noticed a difference in fitment with one vs the other? (And it doesn't look like AMD has there own cowl panel, I believe even they import these).

Is there a way to find or search for a AMD local supplier rather then spend the money on shipping?

Any fitment experience with these panels from Cars Inc, NPD or (do I dare say it) Heart Beat City? Only reason I ask about these ones, I have a Cars Inc. and HBC within 10 mins of my house. NPD is about 45 mins.

Thanks for any advise you guys can give.

#2 ·
I use Heart Beat City often. Yeah, he is a little pricey but I'm happy with the parts and shipping is reasonable. Jim usually has a 20% off sale now, so maybe if you can wait till then, it may be worth it. To save on shipping costs is BIG.

#7 ·
The sheet metal parts fit well then from Heart Beat City? They are really 10 mins away so the extra money Id save in shipping/freight cost on these parts more then makes up the price difference. On a few parts I was looking at, HBC was only $20-30 more. Some parts are also $100-up more.

I bought almost AMD exclusively and can say that their deck lids plain out suck. Had 4 in total shipped to me with damage and manufacturing defect progressively getting worse each time. Biggest problem was the back edge lip that looked like a rollercoaster. Finally got my $ back and went with CHL and couldn't be happier. Fit was pretty good and was even heavier than AMD - how do I know? AMD didn't even want the last 3 deck lids back - I have 3 to compare to lol. After that, went with CHL for my roof skin and again couldn't be happier with the result. Fit very well, heavy gauge - even my restoration shop was impressed, fit, quality and minimal body work.

Couldn't agree more Greg. CHL is an underdog many times because guys just are not familiar with them. They have pretty good stuff!
Can you guys tell me more about CHL? I haven't heard of them? Any links to products? Tried to Google it but not much came up other then a few threads from this site.

#3 ·
If you can live with Goodmark I have found some great prices on Rock Auto.

Don

#4 ·
I bought almost AMD exclusively and can say that their deck lids plain out suck. Had 4 in total shipped to me with damage and manufacturing defect progressively getting worse each time. Biggest problem was the back edge lip that looked like a rollercoaster. Finally got my $ back and went with CHL and couldn't be happier. Fit was pretty good and was even heavier than AMD - how do I know? AMD didn't even want the last 3 deck lids back - I have 3 to compare to lol. After that, went with CHL for my roof skin and again couldn't be happier with the result. Fit very well, heavy gauge - even my restoration shop was impressed, fit, quality and minimal body work.

#6 ·
I installed a pair of AMD front inner fender wells on my 69. They fit perfectly. All holes lined up and no massaging was necessary to make them fit. Well worth the money. I recommend AMD.

#8 ·
Erik, Unfortunately no single brand has the best of
all pieces. I used a floor panel from Cars Inc and it
was very nice. AMD right hand quarter panel. Overly
impressed. Goodmark left hand quarter and it
was virtually junk. AMD radiator support was great.
OER trunk lid was ok. OER fenders were ok. Dynacorn
full trunk was very nice. CHL tail panel was superior to
anything else available at the time. I ordered some of
my parts through BelAir Bob. He's a vendor here.
This is the CHL website. It's not very informative.
CHLÂ* AutoÂ* PartsÂ* Co

#9 ·
Erik, If your 10 min from HBC, that's where I'd be going. Most vendors do however sell the same products, having said that, IMHO HBC does try to NOT deal with the inferior crap. CHL is just another brand. Most of the sheet metal is produced in Taiwan unless stated otherwise.

#10 ·
The CHL pieces I got were not by choice. For example, I ordered my roof from Year One only because I got the best deal on it. Had no Idea who the manufacturer was until it showed up and unfortunately alot of the major companies will not tell you unless you ask who makes their parts and even then sometimes they say they do not know. I do not think you can order direct like goodmark or amd.

#11 ·
Erik, you've seen my build so I know your familiar. The guys at the Michigan NPD are great. No hassles, no BS. I drive up there all the time.

As Al said, no manufacturer has the whole solution.
My CHL cowl was absolute scrap. Dynacorn cowl was enormously better.
AMD gets too much hype. RH 69 quarter was poor, entire stock of 4 at Summit Racing had the same problems. Golden legion RH quarter much better
Golden legion trunk lid good, but went through 2 at NPD to find a good one. They don't mind.
AMD full floor perfect.
Dynacorn full trunk ok
AMD outer cowls useable not great
AMD dash top perfect
Dynacorn package tray good
CHL wheel houses ok
Dynacorn trunk latch bracket perfect

I'm sure I'm forgetting things but you get the idea. Working with heartbeat and NPD local and eliminating the hassle of shipping and buying sight unseen is entirely worth it.

#12 ·
Any fitment experience with these panels from Cars Inc, NPD or (do I dare say it) Heart Beat City? Only reason I ask about these ones, I have a Cars Inc. and HBC within 10 mins of my house. NPD is about 45 mins.

Thanks for any advise you guys can give.
Everybody has opinions on where, but I'd drive 3 hrs before I'd drive 10 min to HBC. Never again.
NPD, like Matt said, is great to deal with. Dynacorn fit great on my car. Quarters and floor pan as well as a few other things. The only issue I had with them was the rear seat belt supports weren't like factory. You can see what I did in my build thread if you'd like. Overall it was excellent though.

#13 ·
Not the first person I've heard/read bad things about HBC.

Does NPD sell Dynacorn then?

I've dealt with NPD many times when they wee in Livonia, only been to the new Canton location once. Never had any issue with them and wouldn't mind the extra 30-45 min drive it there stuff fits good.

I have a few Dynacorn parts. Haven't put them on yet but in most cases, the metal is thicker then the factory stuff I've cut off(or maybe it just seemed that way due to rust, lol)

#17 ·
One more point about the AMD stuff. Any part number beginning with an "X" from AMD is NOT AMD. It is from another manufacturer. These parts are referred to as brand "X". Just an FYI.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the quick replies.

Looks like I will be making a trip to NPD once the weather breaks and rain can wash the salt away. I don't like to drive my Duramax though all this salt.

Think I will buy the floor and lower firewall to start. I already have the full rear frame rails and full trunk pan I bought years ago when Dynacorn first started offering these parts to the public.

#19 ·
Are you near Redford ?? This place is great and inexpensive if you know what brand and what it is you want. I ordered the trunk pieces from them (Sherman brand) and I was very happy with them. Shipping was inexpensive too! One tip for anyone considering using these guys. Place items in cart and do NOT complete order. Just leave them in your cart and go on to do something else online. You will receive an e-mail from them with a 10% OFF coupon to complete your order. LOL

Classic 2 Current Fabrication
24536 Capitol Street
Redford, MI 48239
313-534-2886

#20 ·
Do they stock parts or do they order? "Near" is always relative when it comes to parts. I'd rather drive a little further and buy in person. Redford isn't bad though. In between Livonia and Detroit.

#25 ·
I looked into C2C in the past. Their prices can be beat. I
was originally intrigued by their "Made in the Motor
City" logo and their claim of being a "leading
manufacturer". In fact a lot of their parts are AMD.
AMD is not manufactured in the US and I don't
believe they claim they are. C2C is just another
vendor. I'm not bashing C2C and certainly not AMD as
I'm a big fan of their products that I have used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.