Team Camaro Tech banner

POR 15 for inside rockers?

11K views 28 replies 4 participants last post by  dhutton 
#1 ·
I've used POR 15 on external under car places like frame and I like it. Can I use it with a wand to get inside rocker panels? I've seen cheapo wands for aerosol cans but I'm thinking more of using a cheap spray gun if I can get a wand that will work with it.

Suggestions?

#2 ·
Poor choice. Use cavity wax like 3M Rust Fighter along with a schutz gun and the 3M wand.

Don

#4 ·
It is a flexible coating that will repel moisture and not crack.

POR15 is a very poor product and should never be used. Rust continues to grow even though you cannot see it. Pro shops never use it for good reason. It is marketed to unsuspecting hobbyists.

More info here:

why you never use POR-15 EVER!!!! | Southern Polyurethanes Forum

Don

Reactions: bondora68
#6 ·
What is the opinion of KBS? They also have a cavity wax.

#7 ·
So it sounds like you don't recommend POR 15 for anything under the car? I am also replacing trunk pan and have a related question. The pan came with a black coating of some kind. Does it need primer before whatever I use as finish coat? Hopefully I don't have to sand off all that black coat. Then what do you recommend for it and frame rails or anything else under there?

#8 ·
The black coating should be EDP if it on offshore manufactured pan. Just scuff it and spray it with 2 or 3 coats of a quality epoxy primer. If you use SPI epoxy no topcoat is needed and it can be used on all underside parts without topcoating because it contains UV protection.

SPI can be ordered direct over the phone with free shipping.

southernpolyurethanes.com

Don

#10 ·
Yes that is the epoxy. It is mixed 1:1 with the activator so you will get two quarts of mixed epoxy. That might be enough but I would go with two plus two quarts or just go ahead and buy gallons. It is great for control arms, inner fenders etc. I brush it inside doors and spray trunks.

Don

#12 ·
Yep. Just be sure to apply the topcoat within the recoat window or you will have to scuff it before applying the topcoat.

Don

#13 ·
How long is the recoat window?

Also I'm doing some research on self etching vs epoxy primer. Confusing! So much of what I'm reading is based on using one or the other for a full paint job when right now I'm only concerned with under the car and the inside of the trunk. I may wind up replacing inner rockers and portions of floor pan as well as trunk. I won't be media blasting parts of the under carriage that are still solid. I may try to wire wheel those areas clean but I know that won't come close to media blasting. So I need to figure out what is the best approach given those assumptions.

#14 ·
#16 ·
I recommend you put a topcoat on Nason epoxy. It will likely not stand up otherwise.

Don

#17 ·
OK, I put 3 coats of Nason on it using a brush. I'm amazed with how smooth it is. All I did was the rear section of frame rails and tail panel. Tomorrow I plan to use a rattle can of some kind for a top coat. Is there any other prep I need before that? Any suggestions on what to use for top coat? Also I plan to spray spatter paint on the inside. Is that considered a top coat that will go directly on the epoxy primer?

#18 ·
Spatter paint should be fine for a trunk topcoat because it is not exposed to sunlight/UV

Don

#24 ·
I blast everything. Issue with naval jelly is if you don't get it all off and neutralized your epoxy will fail. Hopefully someone else will offer some advice.

Don

#26 ·
Naval jelly is an acid as far as I know. You have to neutralize the acidic film left behind by repeated rinsing with water. Do not allow the un-neutralized film to dry. Rinse immediately.

Don

#27 ·
OK. I do rinse thoroughly. I've only used it once but at least for surface rust it was pretty good.

What was on there when I started is a coating of a tar like substance. Where I could get the wire wheel to it it ground off OK but it is on some places I can't get to with that. It's also on the inside of the quarters. I don't want to use a grinder or wire wheel on that. I'll see what naval jelly does to it but I doubt if it's going to do much to the tar.

#28 ·
I'm close to being ready to spray epoxy primer on the undersides of the trunk pans (still off the car) and I'm thinking of spraying the rest of the trunk area before welding the pans in. But now I can't find my spray guns. I have a DevilBlis StarterLine kit I bought years ago and never used. I am really looking forward to finally using it. Somehow it got moved and stored somewhere I haven't looked yet. If I don't find it soon I may use a cheapo siphon gun I bought at Home Depot. I used it for painting bookshelves with interior enamel. It comes with a 1.8 and a 2.2 tip. Is 1.8 what I would use for the expoy? Any other tips on using one of those versus a better automotive paint gun?

#29 ·
1.8 tip for epoxy. Sorry no siphon gun advice.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.