Team Camaro Tech banner

Paint n00b question - what kind of paint system is this?

924 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sauron67MM 
#1 ·
The paint on my hood started cracking and then coming off in chunks. I did not have the paint done; I bought it this way. I am also not the least bit educated on the ins and outs of auto paint.

Looking at the cross section, what are the different layers of stuff between the metal and the red paint layer?

See less See more
#2 ·
Scott is the expert here but if I had to guess it would be filler, spray polyester, primer and single stage red. Just a guess though.

Sorry to see this. That is a bit of a mess. I saw this car on the forums when it was for sale and never would have guessed it was like this. It will all have to be removed to bare metal.

Don

#3 ·
Thanks, Don.

The silver lining is that it cemented my decision to replace the cowl induction hood that the previous owner put on there with the correct hood for the car.

#6 ·
Don's right, it is filler over bare metal. Looks just like this mess on a 66 Chevelle I have to repair.
Thanks, Scott. Helpful as always.

What's the point in painting the car that way?

If the whole car is like that, am I in trouble down the road?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.