Spray on bed liner As under coat? - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 06, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Spray on bed liner As under coat?

Has anyone tryed spray on bed linner as under coating.

Dont forget to sign my guest book Project 68 SS http://community.webshots.com/user/bigstick1973
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 06, 09:44 PM
Tech Team
Cameron

Re: Spray on bed liner As under coat?

Yes, my body shop recommended, and I OK'd it. They applied it by roller to get a little rougher texture, I don't think he could have sprayed it. It looks pretty good, but not as good as an original paint job. It's a bummer because I had the car media blasted throughout, and I could have had a show piece underside. It's also hard to hit all the nooks and crannies with roller/brush. But, this will be a driver, and I feel it will be more durable and will help with sound deadening. As I add more hardware to the underside of the car it gets even better looking so I'm really happy with the overall look. I guess that's all that matters in the end. If I had to do it again I'd probably research it a little more, and I might end up in the same place. I don't really want to have to worry about washing and detailing the underside of the car.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 02:27 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I have done it but if it was mine I wouldnt do .To me it looks cheap and it is hard to strip off if you change your mind .
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

That's what I plan on using for mine.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
Justin

Hey guys, I used the spray version of the beadliner on my front subframe. After I applied 2 coats I then brushed on POR-15. It came out pretty good. It has a real durable finish.

Here is a link of the pictures. Let me know what yall think.

http://community.webshots.com/album/481360551tPhnOa

Justin

1967 RS/SS--BB-4spd.

Justin
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 09:51 AM
Senior Tech

I sprayed bedliner on my undercarrage

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
Tony

I saw it done on a 64 Impala. I think it was called a Rhino liner. Thick and coarse. Looks like it would be strong but I think it hides the body too much. Paint is much better, imo.

1969 Camaro SS350, original motor/12 bolt/interior and build sheet in Fathom Green.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 10:04 PM
Senior Tech

I just saw one of my old friends 63 Chevy truck for the first time tonight, that is what he did under the cab and it looked GREAT. This is a SERIOUSLY detailed truck (it could BLOW away many all out show cars) and the underside of the cab looked perfect for the truck.

Brian

1965 Buick Gran Sport Convertible
1948 Chevy pickup.
2003 Dodge Caravan
1959 Rambler American (Yeah I said RAMBLER, you want to make something of it punk?)
"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
Brad

I did my under side floor and wheel wells. Im happy with it. Im not going for a concourse resto so no biggie. Plus its kinda the in thing right now. Something new something you couldnt do or even heard of doing to a resto project 5-10 years ago.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech

I was thrilled to see that it looks so good. I am restoring a 55 Ford F-100 pick up bed into a trailer and plan on using it in it, as well as a chip guard on the fronts of the fenders.

Brian

1965 Buick Gran Sport Convertible
1948 Chevy pickup.
2003 Dodge Caravan
1959 Rambler American (Yeah I said RAMBLER, you want to make something of it punk?)
"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 06, 10:19 PM
Senior Tech
John

I used Gator Guard on the bottom side of my 69. I saw it used on one of the hot rod shows. (American Hotrod, the "Junkyard Dog: 55 Chevy I think??) This 2 part epoxy coating is tough as nails and when sprayed on looks great. I used Black, but a White base can be top coated any color. I will never have to worry about rust in this life, nor or will the next owner either!

If you are trying to be original correct, then this isnt for you......Jb

Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 01:02 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

wouldn't even consider it .
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 05:12 AM
Tech Team

I used Southern Poly's spray on be liner under my 69 Camaro. I took and mixed a quart of the car base coat minus the binder agent, in with the white bed liner material (normally you mix in the black dye they supply)! So I have the benefit of 1/4 of material on the bottom of the car and it is colored to match the paint. So it blends in the wheel wells! I love the stuff and do it on all my cars
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 06, 06:51 AM
Tech Team

I used the spray on type of bed liner in a can for my subframe and under car. It isnt as textured as the rhino lining, but a little more texture than spray paint. I think it looks great.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 06, 03:44 PM
john

Am in the process of a rotisory resto on my 69 z, i coated the inside of the car with a street rod spray on liner called COOL CAR, looks like a thin bed liner but has ceramic built into it, covers great, suppost so stop all heat transfer and highest noise reduction available, came from Nasa originaly. Havent driven the car yet, hope it works, $150.00 2 gallon bucket. Also i was told to coat the inside, leave the pan smooth, many "hackers" are using the thick liners to cover poor work, fiberglass patches etc. Said to scare some people off if trying to sell. hope that helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode