turn a firebird into a camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

My 1968 camaro was recently stolen, I can't afford to buy another one, the average price are going for 4 grand for a clunker, and 3000 grand for one without tranny and engine. These prices are just down crazy considering that a brand new honda accord with ac/and automatic is going for 20k out the door. Anyways, I recently came across a 1968 firebird, I never really cared for the front end of the firebird, is it possible to replace the front fenders. grill and hood with 1968 camaro parts? I really like that black out rs look

Thanks in advance

the firebird is going for a 1000 running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 11:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

The radiator support has to go, but ask "Geezer", he got to have the correct answers for you.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 10-17-2002).]
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 11:30 AM
Senior Tech

Use a complete Camaro front clip, engine and front light wiring harnesses. Itíll bolt up and plug in.Donít forget the cowl.

------------------
Geezer

[This message has been edited by Geezer (edited 10-17-2002).]
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Are you guys saying that I have to basically hack off the entire front end of the firebird in order to put a camaro hood and fenders?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 12:08 PM
Senior Tech

You donít have to hack anything, The sheet metal will all bolt up but the only thing reusable would be the radiator support. You could reuse the fenders if you cut sidelight holes in them but the extensions are different and so are the inner wells.
Check this one out. http://adcache.collectorcartraderonl...0/34035990.htm

------------------
Geezer
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech

you'll have a Cambird
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 12:32 PM
Senior Tech

I saw this thread at work today , this is something I am going to do to a 67 soon the camaro body's are getting to high even in JUNK form , but people have not realized the potenial here with a firebird , I am going to find me a 67 firebird hull and make a camaro out of it , I am even going to change the tailpan , when finished a car like this would be great fun , you could fix it any way you want , !!

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Ok maybe I'm missing the boat here. But, I don't think we are on the same page.

Here what I plan to do, tell me where I'm wrong.

1 I'm going to take off the fenders and the hood and front grill. leaving everything else on there engine, radiator, and wheel well.

2. bolt on the camaro fenders and front grill, and put the hood back on.

is there something missing here? I don't have to change the wheel well and all that do I?

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech

hannibal YOU GOT IT RIGHT !!!!!
the body hull of a firebird and camaro are identical !! you can unbolt the firebird fender's , and hood , bolt camaro stuff back on and GO!!! , the cowl vent panel under the wiper's is different too ,

------------------
69 camaro traded for 67 camaro traded back for 69 now back with a 67 rs WILL IT NEVER END ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I HOPE NOT .
ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 02:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

What will it be titled as? Any problems in that area or with insurance company? Just something to think about.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 03:11 AM
Senior Tech

Am I missing something here? Yes the sheet metal will bolt on to the Firebird body but the "Bird" has different quarter panels and rear body panel.

------------------
1965 Buick Skylark Gran Sport Convertible
1965 Buick Skylark H/T
1948 Chevy pickup, chopped and sectioned.

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech

Sorry I was a little brief but it was quitting timeÖ What it will take is; replacing the cowl, hood, header panel, lower valance, fender extensions, r$ headlight switch, vacuum canister, hoses and fittings, bumper and brackets, grill, two complete r$ headlight assemblies, parking lights, window washer nozzles and the hood latch assembly and support. The inner fenders can be used but they are cut off in the front to clear the bird bumper brackets. The light harness could be reworked and the fenders could be reworked but it would be a pain to put the bumper bracket notches in them where the fender extension meets. You would also have to weld r$ head light adaptors in and cut sidelight holes.

------------------
Geezer

[This message has been edited by Geezer (edited 10-18-2002).]
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 03:38 AM
Senior Tech

If you change the front end, replace the taillight panel, cut the rear roll pan and install backup lights, and fill the louvers and change the rear bumper it will look like a Camaro.

------------------
Geezer
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 04:54 AM
Senior Tech

frankenchicken it's alive!!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

It will be registered as a Firebird since it will be carrying a firebird VIN along with a Firebird Trim Tag.

You can do it but don't think your ever going to be able to sell it for anything more than the price of a parts car. People that want Firebird's don't want Camaro trim hanging off it and those that want a Camaro, don't want to find a Firebird VIN in their car.

Don't waste your time or money. My .02 cents.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode