South Side Machine traction bar question? - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old May 31st, 03, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

I have SSM traction bars on my 69 camaro. What I am curious about is this: On the chasis end of the bars there are plates you can put inbetween the chasis and traction bar, I believe I have 2 on pass side, and 1 on driver side. Now I just bolted them all up and tight. Now is this right or should they be loose, maybe not tighten or use the plates at all? I'm not sure! Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old May 31st, 03, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech

I have 2 plates on the pass. side and 1 one the drivers side and both of them are tight. I have not had any problems with them binding and they hook really well on my car so i think this is the way that you are suppossed to install them

Kyle

68 Super Sport
468, 11.5:1, AFR 305cc heads, Vic Jr, ProSystems 1000, 264/275@0.050, TH-400, flashes to 4800, 3.73's.
60' 1.55 (gotta work on this)
1/8 6.54@107.5
1/4 10.21@ 132.6
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old May 31st, 03, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech

Angry

Mine are the done the same as Yellow68.

Gene
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 03, 02:04 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

Question

Is South Side Machine still in Business? I have a Friend that is looking for a set of the traction bars for his 68 Mustang. I was going to try & save enought to buy a set for my 67 Camaro later this year also.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 1st, 03, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

I also wound up with more shim on the passenger side than the drivers. When I installed the lift bars I had the chassis on jack stands and the rear end on a floor jack from the center section.

I started with the rear end hanging low and the front of the lift bars disconnected with a friend in the driver's seat (for the weight). Then I slowly jacked up the rear end until the front of one of the lift bars (my drivers side was closest)was a 1/4" from the spring. At this point I slipped in one shim on that side then slipped in a home-made shim on the other that was exactly the right height for the other spring. It turned out to be like the equivalent of 1-1/2 shims.

Then I installed the U bolts loose on the front of the lift bars and set the car on the ground. Then tightened them both up.

That's how I did it anyway.

E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro, E85 powered 427" small block. 9.96 @ 133 MPH, 1.319 sixty foot on motor. 5.92 eighth @ 116 with a 1.42 sixty breaking beams with back tire on the bottle
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 03, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnyr:
Is South Side Machine still in Business?
The short answer...NO!
At least that's what the Summit tech told me when I tried to order some SSM items recently.

'70 Chevy Greenbrier Wagon
Three seater - orig 350 L65 & TH350 w/73K original miles

Team Chevelle #613
ACES #3920
CAMI (Ireland) #14
CanAm Chevelles #136
Carolina Chevelles #185
Heart Of Dixie #231
Long Island Chevelles #113
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 12:52 AM
Senior Tech
Johnny

What brand of traction bars are equal to then? I still have the cheapo's that were on my car when I got it & wanted to go with the Southside Machine bars to keep the tires on the ground.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by BillsCamino:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by johnnyr:
Is South Side Machine still in Business?
The short answer...NO!
At least that's what the Summit tech told me when I tried to order some SSM items recently.
</font>[/QUOTE]WRONG ANSWER!!! I posted on this same subject on the T/C board, but it looks like I need to do so as well here.

SSM is NOT out of business. The founder/owner recently retired and his son & daughter took over the day-to-day operations. it may have been poor timing on their part, but they also re-vamped the web site and moved to a different business location at the same time.

According to Linda (founders daughter, new president/owner), claims they are having some issues with some suppliers (I take it they were Jegs & Summit, could be others) and SSM refuses to sell any more products to them. It appears as though these mail order outfits are spreading false rumors in retaliation.

Linda posts on http://www.maliburacing.com and answers questions from time-to-time. This info is directly from her.

As a good note, Linda tells us they are now selling products/parts direct which they haven't done in the past.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech

That's convenient! Boycotting summit and jegs. It sounds like a typical response from someone that screwed up! Like "you cant fire me because I quit"!

They still have not answered ANY of my Emails and I still cant leave a message on their machine....sounds like they are down for the count and trying to come up for some air. Rather than have them post a message on a BBS, they should be answering the phones and Emails, that would prove they are still in business to me.

Lee

230" Dragster - 2000 LS1, 02020003 Speed Density, PRC 2.5 Heads,
MS3 Cam 237/242 .603/.609, Vic Jr. intake, Holley 1000CFM TB,
PowerGlide, 5000 stall converter. 8.70@154 MPH

My Projects Homepage: http://www.horsepowerracing.com
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

just my .02 here, but after looking at ssm, comp slide a link, etc., i went with cal tracs, and i'm extremely happy i did. they work incredibly well, w/o the harshness the lift bars give on the street. also, i know guys use them and like them, but i also know guys who ditched them after a short while of use. the slide a links i imagine are good too, but the caltracs are awesome, for a little more money initially, you won't need another bar. check 'em out [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Sean

1968 rs, with an old school, antiquated "junkyard, never even had the valve covers off" 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor........

"I aint never seen talking win me nothin'" -Marshawn Lynch
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by Slowazzbu:
WRONG ANSWER!!! I posted on this same subject on the T/C board, but it looks like I need to do so as well here.
Todd, Don't believe everything you read.
I got this same story, first hand, from TWO different SSM authorized dealers on TWO different occasions (one in FL, one here in GA) that happen to be listed on the SSM website...
The old man has died and the two surviving siblings are involved in a legal battle with regard to estate assets including certain patents.
I'm just passing on what I was told...don't shoot the messenger.
Try calling one of the dealers linked on the website. Look's like SSM's complete network of authorized merchandise dealers has collapased. [img]graemlins/sad.gif[/img]

http://southsidemachine.com/
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 04:02 PM
Senior Tech

Bill, no bullets being fired .

Well, now who ya gonna believe?

I've been in contact with Lynda at SSM and gotten this info first hand, so I'd have to go with what she said...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech
Johnny

I recieved a e-mail from Linda also stating that SSM was still in business. I e-mailed her asking for a price on a set of the bars for my 67 Camaro . I'll post when I recieve a answer
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 04:13 PM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

I thought this was a Camaro site...... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Jun 4th, 03, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally posted by chicane67:
I thought this was a Camaro site...... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
It is, what makes you think any different?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode