327 and Vortec Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a stock 67 camaro with stock 327 in it. I would like to up the power to a good all around street driving car. I am considering puting in some new GM vortec heads. Is there any gotchas with doing this or is it a straight bolt in. Thanks in advance Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech

Vortec heads look great, I've seen two magazines put these heads on a 350 and got around 370 hp. They are cheap too, complete scoggin dickey sells them for $400. You will have to buy an intake manafold dedicated for this style heads. good choice.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 04:03 PM
Senior Tech

Jim Pace GM Parts Warehouse has an ad in the January 2000 Car Craft advertising vortecs for $418 and a drilled version (86 and prior manifolds) for $478. www.paceparts.com or 1-800-748-3791.

Good luck!
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 99, 04:04 PM
Senior Tech

Jim Pace GM Parts Warehouse has an ad in the January 2000 Car Craft advertising vortecs for $418 and a drilled version (86 and prior manifolds) for $478. www.paceparts.com or 1-800-748-3791.

Good luck!

PS while you repalce the heads consider a cam also.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 22nd, 99, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech

if your going to replace the heads replace the cam also take advantage of the potential of the heads.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 99, 06:52 PM

i think you have to use the self-aligning rocker arms with those heads. but i have also heard some impresive things about those vortec heads.

josh
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 99, 08:59 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Josh is correct about the special rockers,and yes for an extra exspence you get them drilled for old style intakes.

------------------

[This message has been edited by DOUG G (edited 12-24-1999).]
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 99, 02:49 AM

If you can afford it though, I'd go with the Vortec-style intake (Performer or RPM etc.) since they are port-matched to take full advantage of the heads, moreso than the older intakes.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 99, 11:54 AM
Senior Tech

Exclamation

I saw a price breakdown on the Vortec heads on the Team Chevelle page, and after getting the heads, G.M. intake, rocker arms, valve covers, and all the things to put them on with,you could have over $800 in them.Not as good a bargain as they seem, but they do flow well from all the charts I have seen. Just thought you should know.Click below:
www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/001933.html

[This message has been edited by Doug Garland (edited 12-26-1999).]
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 04:24 AM

Not as good a bargain as they seem? Let's not be misleading here. If someone is doing a *complete* rebuild, replacing all those parts in the process, it is a great bargain. However, if someone wants to just upgrade their heads, it is probably not the way to go.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
I am not to familiar with the vortec heads but if I were going to spend that kind of money I would definatly look into the Edelbrock aluminum heads or something like the trick-flows twisted wedge, some really good heads. I have a set of the Edelbrock Performer RPM's and would not trade them for anything.
you have not mentioned which heads that you have. Just stock. If they are the camel hump heads you allready have an excellent set of heads. cast numbers ending in 461 or 462 I believe are the ones to look for. I think the 461's are more desireable being the 2.02/1.60 valves instead of the 1.94/1.50 valves. With some machine work these heads with there 64cc chambers are real power makers. Machine work needed would be port and polish, triple angle valve job, screw in studs, z28 style springs and some good rockers, dont forget the hardened valve seats, some good valves. But by the time you get all this you could of had something like the aftermarket aluminums, which give you a weight savings as well, with the machine work already completed.
Either way you will add some extra ponys to your Camaro. Performance costs, bottom line. What you want to do is the question.
Just my couple of cents worth.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6792
IM - sixtsevnss
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 07:38 AM

I see your point Tim, but it's really no comparison for someone who wants to upgrade/rebuild everything.
Vortec heads, gasket, rockers, intake, valve covers, carb, water pump, etc etc for $1000 OR
one pair of (bare?) Edelbrock aluminum heads $1000
Possibly an entire engine rebuild or just the heads, take your pick.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 99, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech

Edelbrock perfromer rpm heads are sold complete, and are under 1k.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 99, 04:41 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

Send a message via AIM to sixtsevnssrs
Cool

V, I do like the rides that can blast from 0-60 in 5 seconds and if you can do that with a stock look then thats awsome.
Mark, Edelblrock makes so many different packages for their aluminum cylinder heads it would make your head spin.
BB or SB, angled plugs or straight, bare or complete, 64cc or 70cc chambers, regular performer or RPM performer, or torker or whatever, new style heads for 86 and up, corvette style, 23 degree heads for the SB2 block, and thats just Chevrolet. They have there hands in just about everything right now. Hell I think they have an aluminum cylinder head for my 5 hp briggs & stratton on my lawnmower. Well maybe not. But you are all right, and some great advice has been shared, but the decision on what to do is up to Rick.
If it were me I would put a blower on it with some big meats and just have fun.

------------------
Tim
67 ss/rs, MODIFIED
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/6792
IM - sixtsevnss
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 99, 11:58 AM
Tech Team

Question

I too am in the middle of this problem.I presemtly have 305 heads on my 350.Now do I go with a recondition set of double humps($700 cdn) or get a set used but not done yet($200) or I can get a set of 462 castings for $100 and work them over for another $400 or get a set of vortecs for $600 but need another intake. The possibilities seem endless. I've seen in recent articles how the Vortecs flow but does anyone have an idea how a set of 462 with 3-angle,ported and other good stuff added to them might flow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode