How do I tell if it is a cast or steel crank - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How do you tell the difference between a cast and a steel crank just by looking at it? A magnet does stick to it and it pings when you strike it with a wrench. It is supposedly steel. Is there any other way to tell and am I doing it the right way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech

A cast crank will have narrow raised area in the center of each throw. On a forged crank It is much wider and and not as high.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 04:14 PM
Senior Tech

yep thats all their is to it, you can also take a small wrench and tap a counter weight, if it rings like a bell its forged, if it lets out a thud its cast
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I went back to the storage building. I'm not sure what you mean by the narrow raised area in each throw, but if I tap a couterweight with a wrench with the crank standing on the flywheel end on a concrete floor, it rings like a bell. I also got the casting number (I think). I had a little trouble reading it. A couple of the numbers were a little hard to make out. This is what I think it is: 38515280. The first eight could also be a 9, but I don't think it is. The last two numbers "80" are what I couldn't make out real well. The last zero also looked like a "J". It is a small block 400 crank out of (I believe) a 1973 4 bolt main truck block. Thanks for the help.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 05:42 PM

you looking for the casting line. if its narrow and raised its cast, if its wide and looks like its been ground its forged, or send it to me and i'll tell you if its cast or forged

------------------
pics of my car
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/chrisfast66hb1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
www.chevelles.com/showroom/chrisfast66hb1.jpg
</A>
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 05:59 PM

i ran the casting #'s and the closest thing i could find was 3951529 as being a cast crank from a 400 small block. try www.mortec.com for casting #'s

------------------
pics of my car
<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/chrisfast66hb1.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
www.chevelles.com/showroom/chrisfast66hb1.jpg
</A>
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 01, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Royce

If it is a Chevy 400 crank, I am almost positive Chevy did not make a forged crank for the 400's (I am not 100% sure, but for some reason that is stuck in my head).

Royce

------------------
70 Camaro 383ci
69 Camaro 385ci
91 Camaro RS V8 (305 TBI)
Link to my 70

http://profiles.yahoo.com/camaroman7d
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 02:44 AM

Cameron,

Like Fast66hb said, the only crank I could find that was even close to that casting number was a 3951529. That number is for a 1970-72 400ci engine. But we seem to have one less digit than you posted. I looked at PartsScavengers.com. I didn't know GM made a forged crank for 400's either.
Good luck man....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 03:22 AM
Senior Tech

If its out of a factory 400 sbc
its cast
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It may not be the factory crank. I was told it was steel. I was also told that the block had never been bored. When I checked it, it was .030" over. I am for sure on the number of digits, the last two humbers are obviously digits, it is just very difficult to make out what the numbers are. I am going back to the storage building tonight to look at the casting marks. If I can borrow a digital camera off of my neighbor, I may post some pics so you guys can get a better look.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 01, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just looked at the crank and it has the narrow casting marks that were previously mentioned. I guess this means that it is a cast crank. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode