Engine Quest heads- any good? - Team Camaro Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Engine Quest heads- any good?

Looking for some 170cc/1.94/64cc heads for a street 327.
These appear to have vortec chambers and are ridiculously inexpensive (bare). I have the screw in studs, guideplates, good springs and valves already so I'd swap them over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anybody using these?

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.
the Melrose rs - L30 327/275hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Engine Quest heads- any good?

Those are at a good price. Maybe you get what you pay for ? I compared flow numbers and even the double hump heads had about the same numbers. The vortec heads really outflow the double humps ! The RHS outflow the vortec's. I haven't checked the Dart s/s yet.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Engine Quest heads- any good?

Yeah, as you know I am looking at these and the RHS. Do you know the numbers for each at say .400" and .500"?

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

They are pretty nice heads for the $. They make all the IMCA heads as well. Much better than I can say for some other brands out there.

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES
WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM
Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 01:13 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

They look good, but so does any other good, clean bare head.
A part of me says no, just because of the "Vortex" in the Ad, either they don't know much about heads, or they got their secretary to do the ad....
Either way, you can't find a set of used bare double humps for $150 unless they are free.
I'd say get em, if they are horribly wrong like Patriots heads (vlaves in the wrong place) send them back, if not, use the money you save to get them worked, or go with a roller cam.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 02:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Yikes, those RHS heads STOMP the others across the board!!

post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 05:54 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Those figures are a little hard to believe.

The RHS head outflows a small port vortec by over 10%. Somehow I doubt this is an apples-to-apples comparison.
It took Chevrolet 40 years to get to the vortec design- the best gen 1 port ever.
I'll stick with the vortec port on any mild to medium hot smallblock. And the best deal going in an aluminum head ($900):
http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...50168/10002/-1
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 09:26 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Yes, those numbers may or may not be that accurate. They are the numbers that the manufactures have listed.

As far as Chevrolet Vortecs, they were primarily designed to be used in 350 V-8 pick-ups at low RPM's. Why wouldn't the aftermarket easily outflow them ?

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 10, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Here's an excellent site for head flow info
http://www.purplesagetradingpost.com...%20Eliminators

post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

What I find interesting is that the 882s that everyone says are junk flow as good as the 462 hump heads.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 01:42 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plum View Post
What I find interesting is that the 882s that everyone says are junk flow as good as the 462 hump heads.
right, but the thing is that on a stock motor, the 76cc 882's are dogs, and apparently are crack prone. That is not to say that people with the right combo aren't making power on them... plus they are almost free. Def. not for me and my stock 327... my lightly ported 186's work great compared to them, but the compression change is quite a bit of it I think.

All things considered, if I could get a set of heads complete like the profilers etc for 1000 bucks or so I wouldn't hesitate.... but, even if they aren't that cheap, the increase of a couple hundred to get the afrs (1500) or equivalent would have been money well spent in my opinion. They are just such a better head for the money, and easily justified in my opinion. Hell, my 186's cost me 150, already had ss valves in them, but cost me 500 for machining, new springs, new seals etc, a couple valves were burned, and I needed new pushrods for about 100 more... add it up, and that is kind of expensive for some old heads. I really like the increase from the 882's, but if I knew it was going to be that expensive I would have held out for at least some way better iron heads, but probably would have saved a little longer for the aluminum afr's, brodix or w/e.

From those flow #'s I would stay away from the eq heads. From time to time you can get a set of camel humps freshly machined around here for 400 bucks.... that is the cheapest way I would go, otherwise I think I would keep saving!
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 03:27 PM
Banned
Bethanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Yes, those numbers may or may not be that accurate. They are the numbers that the manufactures have listed.

As far as Chevrolet Vortecs, they were primarily designed to be used in 350 V-8 pick-ups at low RPM's. Why wouldn't the aftermarket easily outflow them ?
The vortec port was a direct copy of the 95 LT1 port (I think that's right).
It flowed so well that it was put on the gen 1 engine.
It's quite a bit taller, hence the matching intake is required.
That's why it outflows the older type port.
The LS ports are very tall and narrow. Seems that tall is good (I'm over 6')
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 10, 10:01 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Beth View Post
The vortec port was a direct copy of the 95 LT1 port (I think that's right).
It flowed so well that it was put on the gen 1 engine.
It's quite a bit taller, hence the matching intake is required.
That's why it outflows the older type port.
The LS ports are very tall and narrow. Seems that tall is good (I'm over 6')
i used to think that the vortec port was a copy of the iron LT1 head. but last summer when i had the intake off the Caprice LT1 i've got on an engine stand in the garage i laid an old used stock vortec intake gasket on it. . i remember that the vortec ports lined up perfectly with the top and bottoms of the gasket, but the LT1 ports are about 1/4" shorter- the same height as a standard small block port. i'd like to get an LT4 intake gasket and see how that matches up with the vortec gasket..
i can say that the iron LT1 chamber looks almost identical to the vortec head, tho.
if i was a betting man, i'd say that the vortec ports are more like the LT4 ports than they are like the iron LT1 ports.. which brings up the question of which came first within GM Powertrain- the aluminum LT4 heads used on 96 Vettes and a few 97 Camaros or the iron vortec heads used on 96-99 trucks.. ..

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 10, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Barry

Send a message via AIM to barryfrise Send a message via Yahoo to barryfrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose RS View Post
Looking for some 170cc/1.94/64cc heads for a street 327.
These appear to have vortec chambers and are ridiculously inexpensive (bare). I have the screw in studs, guideplates, good springs and valves already so I'd swap them over.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170546363032&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anybody using these?
I just noticed eBay auction 170554850847 this morning and jumped on it. I bought a pair, and with shipping it was $255. These are Vortec-style heads that allow you to keep your Gen 1 intake manifold (you have to go with center-bolt valve covers tho). To keep my costs down further I'm planning on using the valve train out of my current Chevy casting 3973487 heads in these EngineQuest heads. I found another post that indicated that that was possible, but I'd be interested in any confirmation or comments from anybody, thanks!

Last edited by barryfrise; Oct 20th, 10 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode