A few months later I decided to see what had "happened" to the engine and why it did not run. First thing was to pull the intake. I found the first hint when I pulled the first valve cover, some broken valve springs and some bent push rods. I pulled the intake and found that it had lifters that were out of the bores and just laying in the intake and of course the other side had more broken valve springs and bent push rods. The intake had not been removed, it was sealed very well. I have no idea what some could have done to get the lifter out of the bores....a possibility they used lifter tool from and reached from the head into the valley and pulled them out?
It had 4bbl cast gm intake and big double pumper holley carb. I was at the swap meet (regular home stuff and junk) and bought a 2 bbl carb and intake for $10.00. I brought it home and rebuilt the carb, bought a new set of lifters after inspecting the cab lobes that appeared to look good and I found enough push rods in my collection of engine parts along with valve springs and put it back together.
I ran a compression check and the 327 had some very good numbers in the 160 PSI range and hardly any variation between cylinders.
I fired her up and kept the revs up to break in the cam to the new set of lifters. I had reused the old plug wires, plugs etc and she ran fine....actually very well. The trans did not need any fluid and she went into gear. My biggest expense was at the time about $35.00 for the lifters $10.00 for the carb and intake. Carb rebuild kit was about $15.00, gaskets and some ultra black, oil and filter. So for less than $100.00 she was running and running pretty good
This is what it looked like after it was put back together on that budget.