Team Camaro Tech banner

'68 "Restore as I Drive" Project in NH

170K views 1K replies 44 participants last post by  69TAPoser 
#1 ·
I finally acquired my 'first' First Gen Camaro last week (see explanation here: http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=277969) so I figured that I may as well start a thread. It's a decent driver now, but there is so much I would like to do. However, I have promised my wife and friends (and myself!) that I won't get into any major projects on the car until after driving season. :yes:

I have a Quick Fuel carb on the way and my wheels/tires are for sale as the wheels are pushed out too far (3.5" back space) and the tires are too tall (70s). I will be "cleaning up" the engine bay over the next several weeks (it's a mess as you can see below) as well as fixing a few oil leaks. The interior will need to wait until winter, but it isn't too bad now (needs a new headliner and sail panels).

Phil

See less See more
#2 ·
Very cool Phil. If I start any projects during the car season, I always try to keep my Camaro one weekend away from being back on the road. Save the big stuff for the off season.

I have done a ton of upgrades on my '67 while still keeping it on the road. Good luck with yours.

#9 ·
:thumbsup:

Well, I got to drive it for about a week before it was put on jack stands. :clonk:

Sold the wheels and tires on Monday and the carb this past Saturday. New wheels and tires will be here by Friday and this showed up today...

I have been selling off a bunch of old stuff to help fund my "upgrades." I am down to 2 dogs and 2 kids. Anyone need an over-privileged teenager or two?

This is a sickness and there is no cure. :wacko:

Phil

#16 ·
NH69Z28RS said:
The new wheels and tires look great Phil, does it look like the tire rub issue has been taken care of with this change?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Fronts: 15x6 with 3.625 backspacing - 225/60/15 tire
Rear: 15x7 with 3.75 backspacing - 255/60/15 tire

They are definitely not going to rub and I think I could lower both the front and the rear by 2". As we all know, one project leads to another.... :secret:

Phil

#15 ·
The new wheels and tires look great Phil, does it look like the tire rub issue has been taken care of with this change?

I agree she does look like she's riding a bit high.

#18 ·
thx!

Today with the help of NH69Z28RS we got the Quick Fuel "Slayer" 600 cfm carb installed (electric choke and vacuum secondaries). So far, we are pretty impressed with it. It was "pretty close" right out of the box and I am definitely burning less fuel than with the Holley 650 cm double pumper.

Still lots of stuff that I would like to do, but today was a good day in the shop. Thanks again Scott! :thumbsup:

Phil

#20 ·
with those wheels its starting to look like a 68 TA Sunoco Camaro throwback. My 68 was like yours when I got it 11 years ago all white now its sunoco blue with yellow stripes. I am still running ralley wheels your wheels look great, keep up the good work!

#22 ·
Thanks icpop..really happy with the wheels and tires, just need to work on the stance. ;)

Wow, nice Camaro Dan...welcome back!

Since the sun is finally out, I just went for a 1st beat run...WOW! With the combo of the new carb and the smaller tire diameter she is MUCH more snappy. Our commercial drive at the shop makes for a nice "test strip." She snapped out pretty far hitting second gear (far enough that I backed off), so I am happy. :D

+1 vote for Quick Fuel carbs!

Phil

#24 ·
Mods - Any chance this could be moved to the "Build Projects" section?

I have been "hoarding" parts since August and I have spent the past month or so gutting the interior and prepping to drop the subframe (which I did today). I also did a compression test on the engine (as it is unknown to me) and got some pretty good numbers (180s with 2 being in the mid 160s).

The plans for the winter include:

- A few small trunk/floor metal repairs
- New headliner, carpet, door panels and seat covers
- Lose the B&M shifter and install the original console/staple shifter
- Hotchkis suspension and front/rear swaybars
- New body bushings
- New brake/fuel lines
- Powder coat the subframe
- Clean and repaint the engine bay (fire wall and inner fenders)
- Clean up the engine (repaint block, new valve covers, new air filter, etc)
- Replace brale booster/master/prop valve
- Media blast and repaint the front fenders, hood and nose
- Change nose stripe and rear blackout to Hugger Orange (keeping the white paint for now).
- Replace engine harness
- Strip and paint the rearend

...Hopefully all by Spring! :eek:

Here is what it looks like as of today...

Phil

#25 ·
Hey Phil,

Glad to hear you finally got your power restored yesterday afternoon so you could resume "normal" life and get back to work on your 68. Looks good with the sub-frame separated from the body but it does beg one question, where did all the parts go that where sitting in the bay where the sub-frame now rests?

#26 ·
Hey Phil,

Looks good with the sub-frame separated from the body but it does beg one question, where did all the parts go that where sitting in the bay where the sub-frame now rests?
Virginia got excited when I cleared out the 2nd bay....then I rolled the subframe over there. :disco:

Phil

#36 ·
;)

Last night I was able to strip the components from the front of the engine and pull the engine/tranny from the frame. Next up is splitting the tranny/engine to get the engine on my engine stand.

It's amazing all of the "hack" things you find and this car is no exception. The top 2 "hacks" finds of the day were:

- The use of 4 separate short nut/bolts to install the engine mount vs. 1 long bolt on each side (very fun getting a wrench on the nuts inside the mount cup)

- Transmission cross member bolts with heads smaller then the opening if the cross member...one was actually not even holding! :eek:

No gasket was used across the back of the intake (all silicone), so there was also a massive oil leak and the back of the engine / top of tranny are covered in oil.

Phil

#39 ·
Engine is on the stand and degreased...

...My son got dirty 2 days in a row...this is probably them most important advancement. :)

Up next is prepping the block for paint. The timing cover will be replaced, the oil pan and intake will be media blasted and powder coated and the heads will be polished. I already have replacement valve covers and air cleaner.

Phil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.