'68 Camaro vibrates and rattles when accelrating - Team Camaro Tech
Troubleshooting Diagnosing problems done here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy

Help! Whenever I accelerate hard the car and steering wheel/colomn vibrates. It also does this whenever I'm driving over 35 mph. Sometimes it makes a rattleing noise from the engine too.

I originally thought this could be a transmission or rear axle problem, since I only felt the vibration when in gear, but I now believe that the engine shakes a little more than normal, so thats where I think the problem lies. It also isn't the tires, which were replaced and balanced a little over a month ago.

If anyone can offer some advice, please do! Anything to give me a place to start looking will make it easier on me. Thanks.

------------------
1968 Camaro (327ci/TH350)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech

Have you checked the engine and transmission mounts?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 08:18 PM
David Pozzi

Check for anything loose, trans, bellhousing, broken motor mount, trans mount, bad U joint, etc.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350 Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 01, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

David & coach, thanks for the suggestions, but it isn't the motor mounts. the mounts are good, the transmission is solid, and so is the bell housing. the U-joint has a little bit of play, but it's to my understanding that a little play is okay.

The engine shakes a little bit, as all engines do a little as they run, that part is okay. What I've noticed is that every couple seconds, it shakes a little harder once, then is normal. A second later, it does the same thing. Could it be my distributor points or the timing maybe? I don't have a timing light, but I'll see if I can get my roommate's timing light tomarrow to check just in case.

Thanks again for the help.

------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 01, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Cool

The magical sentence:

Sometimes it makes a rattleing noise from the engine too.

Probably has alot of carbon in combustion chambers, causing pre-ignition(sounds like a can of marbles?). Quick fix is to slowly pour into carb with engine running at 2500-3000 rpm, some water. About a pint or so, should be enough.

Next I'd do a point change, set the dwell, set initial timing, adjust idle mixture using a vacuum gauge, then set curb idle. Take for a test drive. Should see a definite improvement. Try some higher octane fuel or Octane booster.

Keep us informed,

Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 01, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Everett#2390.

Your "water treatment" is something that my friends and I refer to as an "engine steam cleaning". Hopefully that is what I'll be doing later today.

I'm pretty sure the points need replaced as well, because I checked my spark plugs and they need replaced again, after only a few monthes of service. And of course I plan to do the stuff that would follow a points change.

And I run 92 octane gas in my camaro (it's generally good to me, so I like to be good to it). I'll get back to you when I try this stuff out. Thanks.

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode