Team Camaro Tech banner

1985 tuned port won't run

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  big gear head 
#1 ·
I'm working on a '85 tuned port TransAm. It starts and runs rough for a few seconds and then quits. If you open the throttle, it dies. The plugs are wet with fuel. Fuel pressure is 42 psi. Removed and cleaned plugs and they fouled immediately. Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong?

#2 ·
Check fuel pressure. Look for rapid drop when pump quits and engine is off. Injector problem. This engine also has a cold start injector or a ninth inj. Might try unplugging the connector to it. Driver's side toward the middle of the TPI. Sure sounds like dirty injectors streaming or leaking.

#3 ·
If your SES light isn't on, then I agree with Tom3. The only other items that I think could cause a flooding condition would be a bad MAF or a O2 sensor, but these would cause the computer to give a code.

------------------
67 Camaro LS6 454/TH400/12bolt 3.73
1989 TransAm 5.7L WS6 W/all the options

www.geocities.com/akfourme/

#4 ·
Also give the fuel filter a check. Its back above the rear end. Mine was so blocked, you could not blow through it.

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed (Soon to be LT1)
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
"Speed KILLS, so drive a FORD and live forever!"
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

#6 ·
Just thought some of you might want to know, the problem was a blown fuse. All that work and it was a blown fuse. The injectors on one side were working and the other side wasn't. Just a blown fuse. I never would have believed it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.