Millions were made. Also, millions were re-manufactured and sold by many re-builders over the years.
I don't think so sonny, and it appears Hylton is a bit off with his calculation of how many 837 Alternators were issued as well. The 1100837 Alternator was the stock Delco unit for all Z/28 cars built in 1969 unless the car was special ordered with one of the following RPO options:
K79 Generator; 42-amp Delcotron
K85 Generator; 63-amp Delcotron
Given the fact that there were 20,302 Camaro Z/28 cars built in 1969 and only 338 total cars were optioned with the upgraded RPO, one would reason to guess that there were somewhere in the neighborhood of 20,250 of these alternators issued on 69 Z/28's. There were not millions, there were not just a few hundred, there were however thousands and yes they still exist. The problem with alternators is that companies like Wilson and Autorite rebuild them and accept cores.
With that being said, you could probably bet that 40% of those production numbers still exist on Z/28's, another 30% are probably rebuilt and exist on other cars, 15% exist in basement parts storage, and about 15% have been toasted in boneyards. Thats gives you an average chance of 1 in a 1000 finding one on eBay in the next 12 months that fits your date requirements and about a 70% chance of seeing a repop before a real one. (lol)
Not sure how accurate those percentiles are, but the production numbers are quite bang on. Some more useless trivia for those that like it. Gee thats me