Team Camaro Tech banner

Title Transfer

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Legeance 
#1 ·
So I have a quick question that may or may not have been answered before and it may or may not be in the right section. Ok so some states don't require a title for cars over a certain amount of years and lets say I find a car in one of these states that I want to buy but my state requires a title. I heard that I can bring my state the bill of sale that this car came with and they will issue me a title. I've heard this from several people in Georgia since they are a titleless state. They said that if I bring the Florida DMV a bill of sale showing the car is mine and the registration they will issue me a Florida title. Sorry I'm kinda in a rush so this may not make sense.

#2 ·
Before just taking someone's word, I would call my local DMV, MVA, or even a State Trooper Barracks and ask them :beers: and hope you find what you need.

Be sure to let us know how it goes :yes:

#4 ·
They said that if I bring the Florida DMV a bill of sale showing the car is mine and the registration they will issue me a Florida title.
This is correct. I brought my 84 Z28 from NH to FL in the early 90s. Back when they had the ridiculous "impact" fee for out of state cars. All I needed was my registration. If I had bought an out of state vehicle, it would have been the bill of sale. Like was mentioned though, call the DMV to make sure nothing has changed. Shoot, go on their website. I guarantee it's spelled out there.

#5 ·
Quick search and.....done.

Florida Vehicle & Car Title Transfers | DMV.org

Buying a Vehicle

When you buy a vehicle from a private seller, you will need the following items to complete your car title transfer and registration:
•The title with the transfer section completed by the seller. •See Electronic Car Title Transfers if the seller doesn't have a paper copy of the title.

•The Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (Form HSMV HSMV 82040). •Proof of your car insurance, for example:•An insurance card.
•Your auto insurance policy.

•A completed Florida Insurance Affidavit (Form HSMV 83330).
•Payment for title transfer fees: •$75.25 to get an electronic title OR $77.75 for a paper title.
•$2 per lien if you'll have a lien on the vehicle.
•Registration and license plate fees based on the weight of the vehicle.

You AND the vehicle owner should go together to a FL tax collector's office to avoid any complications when completing the DMV title transfer.

If you are outside of FL, you can mail the forms and fees to your local county office.

Additional Documents

Be sure the owner has a lien satisfaction document for any liens listed on the title. Otherwise, you will be responsible for liens once you own the vehicle.

You should also get a Bill of Sale as proof that you bought the vehicle. You can have the bill of sale form notarized for added verification

#6 ·
I did this with a 34 Ford glass car that I built. I purchased a New York State license receipt from 1955 for a 34 Ford Coupe that was licensed for that year. That 34 Ford was long gone as the town where the 34 was licensed was a hotbed of dirt track racing. I live in Texas so when I took the license plate receipt along with a bill of sale to my DMV office I was told I needed to provide a list of parts so they could determine the car cost. (so they could tax me out the wasoo:surprise:. I knew this was incorrect and the club that I belonged to at the time had a woman that worked in a neighboring county tax office. She took my paperwork and within a about two weeks I had a Texas title for a 1934 Ford Coupe. I stamped the vin on my frame rails and never looked back. As long as I made it clear to the next buyer that indeed the car was glass and not original all was good. Sold the car about a year ago to a gentleman in Ohio.

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.