Extremely Rare 1968 RS/SS Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Extremely Rare 1968 RS/SS Camaro

I was recently given the opportunity to purchase a very well optioned 1968 Camaro that is believed to be a dealer swapped 427 car. I did some research on the vin and these 2 articles popped up
1968 427 Alum head - Need Help
1968 SS Camaro?? COPO?? Interesting Mystery!! | Technical & Restoration | The Supercar Registry Bulletin Board

other options this car has is a bench seat with headrests and RS trim as far as I know no other car exists with this combination.
fold down back seat
Ash gold exterior with white vinyl top
A/C
4 piston caliper disc brakes
power steering
power brakes
4 speed car
double louvered SS hood
RS Trim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Re: Extremely Rare 1968 RS/SS Camaro

Here are some pictures of the Camaro
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160811_152034-min.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	164682   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160811_152324-min.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	164698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160811_152049-min.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	164706  

Last edited by Thelargechic; Nov 13th, 16 at 12:12 PM.
post #3 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 05:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Niclas

Garage

I can tell you what you dont have.
Its not a Z/28, L78 L89 or a COPO 9737.
The CE Block is from 1969

post #4 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 05:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Niclas

Garage

Get a NCRS Shipping Report.

https://www.chevymuscledocs.com/index.php
post #5 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 08:26 AM
Retired
Jim

Vertical heater door area proves it was small block or 6 cyl from factory.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Jimmy, no need to start more than one thread. It just makes things confusing and you get duplicate information.

Mods, please merge this thread with the one I've posted below:

1968 aluminum headed 427 car. What is it???

As for the car itself, as previously stated, it didn't start out life as a Z28, L78, L89 or COPO because A/C wasn't available with these engines. Not only that, but a CE block would not have been used as a dealer transplant. CE engines were factory warranty replacements. A transplant would have used an over the counter service engine and it would only have the suffix code stamped on it. It's also extremely slim that a 1968 would have come with 1967 heads. It would have come with the 3919842 aluminum heads. But it's a moot point really because from your initial post, it appears the guy that originally posted back in 2001 has sold off the engine and transmission!

At this point there's no way to tell what engine originally came in the car, but I didn't see (I may have missed it) what the axle code was. Was that ever found? That MIGHT narrow it down.

Ed
post #7 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 09:30 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Vertical heater door area proves it was small block or 6 cyl from factory.
Jim, I believe you're thinking about A/C vs. non A/C cars. All cars with C60 came with the vertical opening.

By the way Jimmy, since the transmission wasn't original to the car, we're not sure if it came with a 4 speed or not, or, if it did, WHICH 4 speed (Muncie or Saginaw). You need to post a picture showing where the speedometer cable comes through the firewall. This will tell us more.

And if you do buy it, could you send me some high resolution pictures of the seats? I'd like to use them in the HEADREST REPORT (and you would get picture credit or course)!! My email address is in my signature to the left.

Ed

Last edited by bertfam; Nov 13th, 16 at 09:44 AM.
post #8 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

I'm 99% sure all big block cars had the heater core hoses closest to the fender.
post #9 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertfam View Post
Jim, I believe you're thinking about A/C vs. non A/C cars. All cars with C60 came with the vertical opening.

By the way Jimmy, since the transmission wasn't original to the car, we're not sure if it came with a 4 speed or not, or, if it did, WHICH 4 speed (Muncie or Saginaw). You need to post a picture showing where the speedometer cable comes through the firewall. This will tell us more.

And if you do buy it, could you send me some high resolution pictures of the seats? I'd like to use them in the HEADREST REPORT (and you would get picture credit or course)!! My email address is in my signature to the left.

Ed
This car is one of the most interesting cars ive ran into, i'd love to take some pictures once I pull the car out of the black berry bushes, wouldn't an SS car come with a Muncie regardless?
post #10 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
I'm 99% sure all big block cars had the heater core hoses closest to the fender.
Only without A/C. With A/C they were all in the same location (pictures below)

1. 6 cylinder and small block without A/C
2. Big block without A/C
3. All with A/C

Quote:
wouldn't an SS car come with a Muncie regardless?
No, the standard transmission for the SS was the 3 speed manual, with the automatic and Muncie 4 speeds being optional, but we haven't established the car as being an SS.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 cylinder & small block without AC.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	164722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big block without AC.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	164730   Click image for larger version

Name:	All with AC.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	164738  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B.
CRG -
post #11 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikke View Post
Get a NCRS Shipping Report.

https://www.chevymuscledocs.com/index.php
sounds like a great idea, this car seriously is driving me crazy on what it might be, im 99% sure it was atleast a big block car from the factory. How or why the 427 was in the car at the dealer in 1969 is a huge mystery to me.
post #12 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Quote:
Only without A/C. With A/C they were all in the same location (pictures below)

1. 6 cylinder and small block without A/C
2. Big block without A/C
3. All with A/C

No, the standard transmission for the SS was the 3 speed manual, with the automatic and Muncie 4 speeds being optional, but we haven't established the car as being an SS.

Ed
The camaro does have 4 piston caliper disc brakes in the front, double bump ss hood with matching paint on the underside to tie it to the original paint code (could of been repainted I know) BUT this car was purchased at $4400 in 1969, could it of even not been an SS at this price?
post #13 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

You're asking for opinions without submitting the data I've requested and frankly, I like to deal in facts. I can't help you if you can't help me. (and the underside of the hood should NOT be the same color as the exterior. It should be flat black. And with the custom deluxe interior, it should have come with the sound deadener.) So far there's nothing that confirms the car started life as an SS. The telltale signs haven't been posted yet. (axle code, speedometer hole, etc...)

I suggest you take a look at THIS LINK and put together some prices, but offhand here's what I can see:

V8 Cylinder Coupe - $2,670.00
Vinyl roof - $73.75
Power disc brakes - $100.10
Bench seat - $32.65
Fold down rear seat - $42.15
Custom deluxe interior - $110.60
Headrests - $52.70
A/C - $360.20
Power steering - $84.30
Rally Sport - $105.35

So far you're up to $3631.80, but now you need to factor in any other options the car may have (i.e. deluxe seat belts?, tinted glass?, power windows? (can't tell from the pictures), AM (or AM/FM radio)?, bumper guards?, etc....

You also need to factor in tax, license, dealer prep, and any dealer installed options that may have been purchased.

How do you know the car was purchased for $4400? Do you have the original paperwork?

Ed

Ed B.
CRG -

Last edited by bertfam; Nov 13th, 16 at 11:58 AM.
post #14 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
Ed

If you want to know if the hood is original, check the stamped date code on the driver's side of the hood at the rear edge. HERE'S AN EXAMPLE of what you should find.

Ed

Ed B.
CRG -
post #15 of 83 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 16, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jimmy

Quote:
You're asking for opinions without submitting the data I've requested and frankly, I like to deal in facts. I can't help you if you can't help me. (and the underside of the hood should NOT be the same color as the exterior. It should be flat black. And with the custom deluxe interior, it should have come with the sound deadener.) So far there's nothing that confirms the car started life as an SS. The telltale signs haven't been posted yet. (axle code, speedometer hole, etc...)

I suggest you take a look at THIS LINK and put together some prices, but offhand here's what I can see:

V8 Cylinder Coupe - $2,670.00
Vinyl roof - $73.75
Power disc brakes - $100.10
Bench seat - $32.65
Fold down rear seat - $42.15
Custom deluxe interior - $110.60
Headrests - $52.70
A/C - $360.20
Power steering - $84.30
Rally Sport - $105.35

So far you're up to $3631.80, but now you need to factor in any other options the car may have (i.e. deluxe seat belts?, tinted glass?, power windows? (can't tell from the pictures), AM (or AM/FM radio)?, bumper guards?, etc....

You also need to factor in tax, license, dealer prep, and any dealer installed options that may have been purchased.

How do you know the car was purchased for $4400? Do you have the original paperwork?

Ed
I apologize for this, I have not been able to look at the car for awhile. I'm doing the best I can to provide accurate information. what could I look at to tell if this was an SS car. And I was mistaken about the underside, the top of the hood is black with flaking paint revealing the original ash gold paint. Camaro hood - Album on Imgur picture of the flaking hood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode