Team Camaro Tech banner

Service replacement voltage regulator?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  click 
#1 ·
My 04D build 68 RS has a 1119515 voltage regulator with a 12V N 1L code on it. That wouldn't be the original VR for my car. From what I understand there's no real knowing the year built given the single digit. So this could be December 1971, December 1981, etc? Or did they only make 1119515 VRs in a range of years?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Id recommend you buy the electronic version replacement, VR715 and then put your old cap on it. Perfect fit and now you dont have the 'points' inside the VR that can at times get fussy. :)

Reactions: VitaminC and zdld17
#4 ·
Jim, I still have my regulator but I converted to one wire with internal reg in the alternator, Does the change to a VR715 effect things if I changed from the old? I did some regulator wire re-routing at the plug in. Never had any issues in all the miles driven since Billings.

Hope you are well.

#14 ·
There has to be some sort of regulation on a generator or alternator.

Here is an external voltage regulator for a generator that has 3 connections for a 61 Chevrolet:

While this is external voltage regulator for an alternator has 4 connections for a 71 Chevrolet:

While a voltage regulator for an 81 Chevrolet is an internal type built into the inside of the alternator:

Granted every manufacturer and every model went through different time frames when they changed these things and sometimes parts get changed and the system redesigned from how it was originally but all of these things have to work in harmony with other things and I've seen people put in internally regulated alternators and then they don't know that the external regulator needs to be abandoned and not used.

Jim

#15 ·
Don follow others on your question... I have no clue about differences in one wire, 3 wire, internal or external regulated etc...

Kurt, when I had my VR apart it had some crusty built up on the points or what ever they are called, maybe from a bad ground , who knows but I recall over the years of some folks 'playing' with the adjusting screw on the VR trying to get a correct or stable voltage as I recall. Anything like that with adjusting screws in my mind is asking for trouble when someone starts to play with it. The Electronic version eliminates that option to adjust, in my mind that was the only reason I changed mine out. :)

Reactions: zdld17
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.