69 SS/RS 396 with Rear Disc Brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Tag Team De-coding tags and numbers.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 17, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Richard

69 SS/RS 396 with Rear Disc Brakes

I have a 69 SS/RS 396 Camaro with the cowl X-22 Norwood code with a March 5th Week build and Deluxe Interior and many of the other parts match up with date codes etc. One thing that is weird is that it has disc brakes and the axle codes match to the car. Supposedly the original rally rims on the car are here and they are 15 x 7 Rallys and even stranger there is an aged DX 15x7 rally tire pressure sticker on the door. I don't have POP or Build Sheet unfortunately and I'm not trying to sell the car just trying to figure out what is going on. Is there any part numbers on the rear disc brakes and calipers I should look out for? Is anyone aware of an SS396 with rear disc brakes?

I can give out other details via PM, probably not smart to post Vin and Tag and numbers online.

Rich
chris d likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 17, 09:28 AM
John

Garage
Re: 69 SS/RS 396 with Rear Disc Brakes

Why would you be concerned over posting the Vin number and Cowl tag?

Guys do it all the time with no problems
onefiness likes this.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 17, 09:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl

Garage

Along with the VIN and cowl tags post pictures of the rear axle stamp and casting numbers, outer ends of the axle, ect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 17, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I think the JL8 4 wheel disc brakes required 15" wheels because of the large brake rotors. So the disc rear might be original if the dates line up. Do you have any pictures showing the master cylinder and the brake lines coming out of it? The shouldn't be a proportioning valve if the rear discs are original to the car.

Jeff H
69 Z28 Hugger Orange original factory JL8 brakes, being restored
09 Z71 daily beater
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 17, 03:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I have been aware of a 1969 SS (396/auto) Camaro since the 70's with the factory JL8 brakes.. so it did happen. Sounds like the OP has one too..

PS. That car was traded in to an Oldsmobile dealer and sold on their used car lot for $900 (adverstised price in the local newspaper).. and I might have given $900 just for the rear end at that time (had I checked it out and known about the rear).. And it was a nice car also!

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 17, 09:09 PM
Cam
Cameron

Joe Oldham, the editor for Cars magazine back in the late 60s had ordered a 69 Camaro SS396 coupe with JL8 brakes. There were what, 206 JL8 cars from the factory, and it is widely believed that all were Z28s. Apparently not ALL were Z28s. As I understood (or assumed) they all came with 15x7 Rally Wheels.

IIRC, Joe's car was an L78 / M40 car. Tuxedo Black with color-keyed Astro Bumper, black vinyl roof cover, an actual stripe delete car for real, base interior, console, no factory gauges, factory power windows, fast ratio power steering plus JL8 brakes. I can't recall the gearing but lets say that it was ordered to do street battle late at night. He stuck it with 15x8 wheels (Keystones maybe?). Gotta be one of a kind.

1967 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe,
all stock & in family since new,
Oshawa-built
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 17, 03:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

The JL8 has been found on some pretty base cars. Would love to find one.

Unusual JL8 Car Found

1969 Camaro SS JL8 396 4 speed cars found

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 159

Last edited by Andrew69; Mar 4th, 17 at 04:07 AM.
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 17, 04:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

In the 48 years that car has been around, it very easliy could have had disc brakes added to the rear end. Through the 80's & 90's, there were a lot of mods that could have been done. The numbers will tell the tale. I'm sure there will be date codes on the parts if it is in fact authentic. Pics of the brakes will help everyone here with your question.
B....

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 17, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
Jimmy V

If the OP is as uninformed about JL8 as he sounds, I say it's very plausible.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 17, 01:37 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew69 View Post
The JL8 has been found on some pretty base cars. Would love to find one.

Unusual JL8 Car Found

1969 Camaro SS JL8 396 4 speed cars found
So far, one 307 car. A second reputed car but it's long crushed.

No verified 396 cars that I know of. That one in that thread was a SS350 car originally, 124379N646603.

Kurt S.
CRG -
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 17, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam View Post
Joe Oldham, the editor for Cars magazine back in the late 60s had ordered a 69 Camaro SS396 coupe with JL8 brakes.
IIRC, Joe's car was an L78 / M40 car. Tuxedo Black with color-keyed Astro Bumper, black vinyl roof cover, an actual stripe delete car for real, base interior, console, no factory gauges, factory power windows, fast ratio power steering plus JL8 brakes. I can't recall the gearing but lets say that it was ordered to do street battle late at night. He stuck it with 15x8 wheels (Keystones maybe?). Gotta be one of a kind.
Maybe. Long gone so unless some docs survive, we'll never know. Articles about it definitely misstate some facts. It wasn't stripe delete and there's doubt it was a real JL8 or a Phase III (vs L72).
Car Guy Chronicles: BALDWIN-MOTION SS427 CAMARO: WANTED!

Kurt S.
CRG -

Last edited by Kurt S; Mar 4th, 17 at 07:19 PM.
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 17, 07:50 PM
Cam
Cameron

Kurt, the link you supplied shows the car I was speaking of. It sure doesn't look like a stripe delete in those pics. Back in those days there were day 2 cars and day 45 cars. Most self-respecting performance car enthusiasts wouldn't leave a car stock for long. And true enough, sometimes article can misstate facts. Thanks for the link

1967 Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe,
all stock & in family since new,
Oshawa-built
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 17, 05:15 AM
Senior Tech
Chet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Keller View Post
I have a 69 SS/RS 396 Camaro with the cowl X-22 Norwood code with a March 5th Week build and Deluxe Interior and many of the other parts match up with date codes etc. One thing that is weird is that it has disc brakes and the axle codes match to the car. Supposedly the original rally rims on the car are here and they are 15 x 7 Rallys and even stranger there is an aged DX 15x7 rally tire pressure sticker on the door. I don't have POP or Build Sheet unfortunately and I'm not trying to sell the car just trying to figure out what is going on. Is there any part numbers on the rear disc brakes and calipers I should look out for? Is anyone aware of an SS396 with rear disc brakes?

I can give out other details via PM, probably not smart to post Vin and Tag and numbers online.

Rich
You do see that there is a whole forum for decoding VINS? Why would it not be a good idea to post yours? Its not like your Social Security #. SMH

69 SS clone, fathom green, TMI sport seats, 200r4, 3.42 posi rear end, IROC steering box, SPC control arms, koni shocks.. Future mods include bolting on the Profiler heads, FIRST TPI, and roller cam sitting in the garage
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 17, 08:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
Maybe. Long gone so unless some docs survive, we'll never know. Articles about it definitely misstate some facts. It wasn't stripe delete and there's doubt it was a real JL8 or a Phase III (vs L72).
Car Guy Chronicles: BALDWIN-MOTION SS427 CAMARO: WANTED!
Great reading on the link above. I noticed a final comment about Joe getting his "Unicorn" back. Is this saying he finally got the stolen car back?

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 17, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
Kurt S

No, he didn't get the original back, just a likeness.

Kurt S.
CRG -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode