Team Camaro Tech banner

pro street tire recommendation

34K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  novamob 
#1 ·
Can anybody give me a recommendation for street radial tires? M/T's, BF Goodrich, Hoosier or any comparible brand ??
I'm running 15X7 steel wheels on front and 15X12 on the rear.
Thanks

#7 ·
I ran BFG drag radials for a couple of years on my daily driver back when they first came out. They actually handle decent, and traction is much improved. I would use up a set in a year, 12-15000 miles. I took it easy on them driving but did race it a lot too, they like a good burnout so that uses them up. Traction gets scary in the wet though.

The Mickey Thompson et drag radials are much better at the track, but rain use would be really scary and they don't last as long.
I have heard positives about Nitto d/r on the street as well.

My guess is tire size needs will determine what to use also.

#11 ·
I shoulda searched this section a little more before I posted this question. Looks like 'pro street Gary' had the same question & answered it with a couple pix. The Hoosier Pro Streets look great on his Camaro and should work for my 69 just fine.
I appreciate all the help

#13 ·
Those M&H's look great too. Have you used them?
Now it's the 'section width' that I'm having trouble with. I took off 32 X 14.32 slicks and the Hoosier, for a 12" rim, (#19300) has a section width of 16.0". That M & H is closer to what may fit...the BS of the wheel is 5 "

#14 ·
I have used M&H tires in the past, but not those specific tires. I can tell you the people at M&H are good people. I have heard those tires work very well, they just have limited sizes, so you don't see many out there. M&H has been around for a LONG time and were the first with a "cheater" slick.

#15 ·
Novamob - Last year I switched from M/T 31x16.50-15 bias ply Sportsmans to 31x16.50R15LT Hoosier Pro Street Radials on my 69.

The Hoosiers don't get the flat spots from sitting, and "wander" less while driving.

The M/T's were also a very high-pitched "squeally" tire (especially during right turns in summer).

These were mounted on the same 15x12 Welds.

It did take some getting used to the outer "corner" of the tread of the hoosiers visually. The outer edge stills reminds me of a dirt track tire.

Hope this helps.....................DC

#17 ·
I run the MT Sportsman S/R...running skinnies up front and 31x18.5 out back. No noise issues, handle well, and one night i found myself in a rainstorm and was pleasently surprised how well the car did. Only down side is they dont hook. So race days i change my rear wheel combo to my MT Drag radials...but for cruising they offer a nice ride.

#20 ·
The tires are en route to Summit in Ga, so I really won't know if I'll need them til they're mounted. I'm figuring that I only have 2" from the back of the wheel to the frame and not sure how far the tire may bow out. Probably have some room to fill on the outside between tire & the fender. It has long wheel studs

#27 ·
Thanks. It's the 1st time I've tried to convert a drag car to a street car, so there's a lot of trial & error. I put 5/16" spacers on today (hope they work) and will re-adjust the coilovers tomorrow to lower the back a little.
Can anybody recommend the best size tire for the front without rubbing ...235x75x15 maybe?

#29 ·
Today I dropped the coil springs an inch or so, put some 3/4" spacers on and raised the front a bit. The build has stalled because it's running and I can enjoy driving it (unfinished) while I work out the bugs & I'm also tapped for $$$ and will have to wait to do the interior. Thanks for the compliments so far :beers:

I'll start a new thread with some before/after pix. It is not a frame off restoration....hell, I haven't even wiped off the bottom of the car's vintage burnt rubber & engine/exhaust oil & grease. It is, what it is :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.