Team Camaro Tech banner

Intakes And Hood Clearance

19K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BonzoHansen 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap or the slightly shorter Performer Air Gap intake on a 1970 Camaro? I was thinking of using one of these but was not sure of hood clearance even with a low profile air cleaner.

Any advise would be helpful....Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
For one thing the Edelbrock Dual Plain Air Gap is the Same Height as a Performer-2 & RPM, You can check the Edelbrock Site to verify the Height.

Generally you require a Drop Base Carb Plate (Say a Morrosso Drop Plate) topped with a LT1 Scoop to run a 4" Air Breather in a 2nd Gen with a BBC/Holley/RPM - A 4" Breather will not clear the Hood with a BBC and Edelbrock Intake in a 2nd Gen even with a Drop Base unless you use a 3" Filter - Don't know about SBC's in a 2nd Gen - Never ran one - But a SBC over Air Gap should clear with a 3`Filter & Drop base Morrosso Plate.

There`s a Garbage Can Tin Lid in there for a Total Seal Cowl Induction:

See the Dodge Air Breather Puke Can on the PSGR Valve Cover to a Base Morrosso Carb Plate and the Dodge Heater Hose Bracket bolted to the Alternator. I`m Not Proud - Holley Annular Booster 80511-1-Edelbrock Dual Plain RPM Air Gap in Chevy Color - Almost looks Stock even with the Volvo S70 Electric Fan - LOL.

10.25:1, 7000rpm, 625Hp, Donovan Cam Gear Drive, Lunati SR 73 MKIV LS4-M21-3.31 12 Bolt Posi - 70Z :eek:

Just to show it`s a 7000rpm 460-M21 & 3.31 Gears.

Note: I just Bolt on the LT1. GM provided the Hood Sub-Frame Structure.

Believe me the Mill is not Cheap and you have to know what your doing - I`m the Mechanic & don`t trust anyone to Wrench my Ride.
She`s a 12 Sec 150+mph Road Warrior on pump gas and, over time, have owned it since 76 treating her with my personality.

Eat your heart out Baldwin & Nicky - I did it the way the General intended a 2nd Gen Z to be.

Hope my Post gives you some Idea about Cowl Induction - Be Creative - That`s GM`s Theme about 2nd Gens.

#3 ·
I have a 73 Z28 w/ an Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap on a SBC 350- small Holley Carb and a Cowl Induction type are cleaner and I have to run a GoodMark Cowl Induction Hood also. The air cleaner cowl "ring" w/ gasket just fits w/o any damage to the hood. I still think the Air Gap is taller than a std. Performer intake-JMO.

#5 ·
Sorry I was in a bit of a rush when I posted my question...Yes, this is a SB car..350.

I have been getting some say yes the RPM Air Gap will fit under the hood with room to spare and others sayin it won't with the carb I will be using which is a Holley 670 cfm Street Avenger with an electric choke.

#6 ·
Beyond the factory low rise intake, none of the aftermarket intakes will clear the stock height hood on a 2nd gen Camaro with a BBC. The low rise and factory air cleaner cleared fine.
My '71 came stock with a BBC and the low rise cast iron intake. Once I decided to change to a aftermarket intake I found that no air cleaner/intake option would clear the stock hood, and finally gave up and went to the cowl hood.
The SBC 2nd Gens have a lot of clearance, and easily clear with the right dropped base air cleaner.

#7 ·
Hi thanks for the info. I see you said you had to use a raised cowl hood. Did you opt for a 2" rise or the 4" rise. My 71 Cam has a 454 (short block not the tall block) Edelbrock 2.0 performer intake with a small thin adapter to allow the use of a QuickFuel square bore. When I bought the car the intake was removed their intention was to install a Weiand Team G high rise intake with a 1000 cfm Holly Dominator new parts which came with the car. SO, my question is: What size raise on the hood do I need to fit the Edelbrock QuickFuel combo, will the 2 inch rise be enough for the Team G high rise with the 750 cfm QuickFuel carb. The 71 Cam came with a fiberglass 4" rise cowl induction hood lift off. Cons I don't like the height of the hood. To me the huge hood rise takes away from the original beautiful flowing body lines. Also there are 6 hood locks to hold the hood down. What if there is a fire in the engine compartment. By the time I got the hood off, the car could be burned down to the ground. So do you think a 2 inch rise metal hood work with the Eldebrock combo and the Team G manifold combo. Thanks much for any help you can offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.