Replacing only one rotor--good idea or bad idea? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Replacing only one rotor--good idea or bad idea?

I am fixing the 4-piston front disc brakes on the 67. The driver's side rotor was turned and is ready to be installed. The passenger side rotor can't be resurfaced again (not thick enough) and was covered with brake fluid/minor surface rust that I have cleaned off. I would like to be able to reinstall it and use it with the resurfaced driver's side rotor.

That said, I've read that it is recommended that rotors be replaced in pairs so that the surfaces are identical and the pads grab evenly. If this is accurate, then I have no option but to buy two new matched rotors.

Otherwise, I've read, one side may grab more than the other and cause a pull to one side. That would even rule out using the resurfaced rotor with a brand new rotor on the other side. I don't know if all of this is just marketing from the manufacturers of the rotors or the truth.

What do you all advise? Any reason you can see why I can't install both of these rotors "as is" and just use them? I'd think that unless one had a lot more friction than the other, there wouldn't be that much of a difference in the two...ultimately won't the pads grab evenly...especially once they grind on the rotor a few hundred revolutions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 07:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Replacing only one rotor--good idea or bad idea?

While I have heard that too (replace rotors in pairs) I don't buy into it, and would replace only the bad one.

My reasoning is that the caliper pistons are able and expected to "adjust" their position in repsonse to both rotor and pad wear. The thickness difference between "new pads & new rotors" and "near worn out pads and rotors that have been cut to the limit" is a good 1/2 INCH!

I don't think it would be an issue, and have personally replaced only 1 rotor more than once without a problem.

JimM's firstgens.com Camaro Board

Jimragtop.com New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I agree with Jim. Just make sure that the rotor you can't resurface still meets the min thickness that is stamped on it. When you use a rotor that is not thick enough you run the risk of the piston in the caliper coming too far out and losing its sealing ability. That would be a train wreck.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Seems you have nothing to lose trying except time. So if the bad rotor is worn past the minimum "machining" specification, but if it isn't past the "discard" specification...wouldn't hurt to try. (I have no idea what those dimensions are or that is what they are really called, but if I designed brake rotors, that is how I would do it...)
My only concern would be how many miles of wear are left on the bad rotor until where you would have to be concerned about a catastrophic failure of the rotor if it is too thin.
I've read about people just scuffing up the surface with a scotchbrite so the new pads will bed in properly...
Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I agree with Jim. Just make sure that the rotor you can't resurface still meets the min thickness that is stamped on it. When you use a rotor that is not thick enough you run the risk of the piston in the caliper coming too far out and losing its sealing ability. That would be a train wreck.
Is the stamped number the min thickness that it would get machined too, or a minimum thickness to be used safely?

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 10:23 AM
David Pozzi

The rotors say "Min Thk XXX" I take it to mean that whenever the thickness drops below that number, the rotor should not be used. I don't take it as a minimum that the rotor should be machined to.

If the passenger side rotor is not below min thickness now, I'd try it and see how the brakes work. You can always replace later it if the brakes are unbalanced.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info: http://www.pozziracing.com
67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Talking Re: Replacing only one rotor--good idea or bad idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
The rotors say "Min Thk XXX" I take it to mean that whenever the thickness drops below that number, the rotor should not be used. I don't take it as a minimum that the rotor should be machined to.

If the passenger side rotor is not below min thickness now, I'd try it and see how the brakes work. You can always replace later it if the brakes are unbalanced.
David
Ditto

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 07, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

Thanks again guys. I will have the rotor mic'd and put it on.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 07, 07:15 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Post Re: Replacing only one rotor--good idea or bad idea?

One other thing to consider. A rotor that is at or near min. thickness has a much greater chance of warping. Not necessarily dangerous, but quite annoying to have that brake 'n shake feeling.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 07, 09:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Didn't we just have this conversation? I've got this weird deja vu thing going. LOL

Hydrulics in pairs. I don't ever remember having an issue with replacing one rotor when the other one was w/i tolerance after machining. Change the one and go from there.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Vent Windows Forever! ... My junk ... NastyZ28 ... NJ Camaros & Firebirds

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 07, 09:55 AM
David Pozzi

I would expect the new rotor to have different friction than a used rotor, but hopefully when broken in, it would even out with the other side.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info: http://www.pozziracing.com
67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode