Steering gear upgrade interesting note - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 15, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Cory

Re: Steering gear upgrade interesting note

I am Sure this is a very OLD question but here goes. My Stock Box is leaking from EVERYWHERE. I need to re-build or re-place it. I priced re-building it and the shop said $350. I am thinking - Heck for that price I can probably Buy a new replacement. Now starts the confusion. I am finding all kinda stuff with all Kinda claims. I have a 68 (firebird) and I am wanting to improve the steering if I am going to Buy a new BOX. I want a direct swap out with no problems. I already have Power steering in the car. SOOO what box should I consider? I am finding all kinda different turns ratios and so forth? I know CPP is good stuff but I am confused and Un-informed.

Can you guys offer me a suggestion?

Here are 2 list of several different ones currently available.

http://www.firebirdcentral.com/FIREB...how=240&page=1

http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...steering%20box

This box seems appealing but I am uncertain?
http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1964_..._p/pow-400.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 15, 05:29 PM
Senior Tech
Tom Anderson

Garage
converting manual steering to power steering on 67 need some help pls

Hi Guys
Here is my problem, I have a 67 rs Camaro it had manual steering so I switched to power steering BUT now the car barley turns left and right turn is sharp. Do you also need to change I think its called the drag link bar which attaches to the pitman arm ?. I say this because of my turning problems and I checked it out , If that bar was 3 inch longer when both tires were pointed forward that bar would come out right under my pitman arm . Any help please thanx in advance
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 08:11 AM
Tech Team
Frank

I have been researching this issue. I have a 69 that I want better steering for and the best info I came up with so far is this site .. Get a pen.. Chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html these are from Jim Shea who was the engineer for Saginaw that designed the steering for GM. I'll keep a post to let you know what I pick up. So far I think I'm gonna try the flex coupling and pump from a 70-82 chev/gmc p/u and a box from a 92-98 grand Cherokee , you have to replace or rebuild the pump so it will give to faster ratio box enough fluid.. I will post something to his I made out. Good kuck

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chet

Well, if you want to reinvent the wheel go ahead. Why would you want to combine all those parts from different sources? Your camaro's pump can be modified easily. What is it about the 86-92 iron/z boxes you don't like?

69 SS clone, fathom green, TMI sport seats, 200r4, 3.42 posi rear end, IROC steering box, SPC control arms, koni shocks.. Future mods include bolting on the Profiler heads, FIRST TPI, and roller cam sitting in the garage
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 15, 12:44 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

This steering gear is $125 at rockauto without an exchange.

Seems a no-brainer.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 05:47 AM
Tech Team
Frank

All I did was say what I was going to try on my specific ride. I don't really have a specific choice, I'm not trying g to re-invent anything either. The article I gave gives a lot of different choices. Your right though, the pump can be easily upgraded .. I haven't purchased anything yet. This coming weekend I'm going to pick and pull my parts, I've located them but when I go I may change my mind on a few types. Ill mention something on how it worked for me....
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 05:57 AM
Tech Team
Frank

Also I don't have anything against the Iroc-Z . I had a 84 Z28 and a 90 Iroc-Z ... Loved them .... Also a 87 trans am a supercharged cougar XR 7 , alot of other cars and trucks along with many sport bikes and Harleys. It's been a great ride... I'm not claiming to know anything special either. Always wanting to learn more and give some if I can .
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chet

Settle down, my friend. You can do whatever you want, its your car. Just pointing out that there is a proven to work method for upgrading your steering. There are many stories of these swaps gone bad and usually its because somebody didn't get the correct box. There's a current thread where somebody used a CPP box and it "clunks" when turned.

69 SS clone, fathom green, TMI sport seats, 200r4, 3.42 posi rear end, IROC steering box, SPC control arms, koni shocks.. Future mods include bolting on the Profiler heads, FIRST TPI, and roller cam sitting in the garage
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 10:14 AM
Tech Team
Frank

I was hoping to find some stories of these swaps and I'm not o e to believes everything I read, I always have to investigate it and do my own analysis. Thanks .
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 15, 10:24 AM
Tech Team
Frank

Im going to try to use the box, pump and lines. I'm thinking I need to be sure the rag joint connects properly, the diameter of the pump is the same as original and I use the same pitman arm.... Think?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 16, 09:43 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69x22SS/RS View Post
Im going to try to use the box, pump and lines. I'm thinking I need to be sure the rag joint connects properly, the diameter of the pump is the same as original and I use the same pitman arm.... Think?
Frank... Did you ever get the JGC box installed? Very curious as I'm on the same path. Picked up a '96 JGC box with just under 110,000 on it. Very smooth, no leaks, so all I need now is the right rag joint and adapters for the hoses. I think I'd like to use new hoses so maybe that simplifies things a little.

I'm also in Mass, just outside of Springfield... maybe we'll meet up at a local cruise night or show. Marks Classic Cruise in East Granby is having a Camaro/Firebird theme night in September, Mark your calendar!

Mike

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150,
Pertronix Ignition, CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust.

Power Front Discs, Quick Steering Box, Digital Guages & More coming soon.
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode