Carb/Fuel problem - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Carb/Fuel problem

Ive got a 67 firebird and recently I have had some hard start issues.

Its only after its been sitting for a while, like overnight.
It turns over just fine, had plenty of spark, the problem is fuel...

When I first hit the key it just barely fires but doesn't 'catch' and keep running, i then have to continue cranking for like 45 seconds to get it to start. For that 45 seconds or so it sounds like its just freely cranking over without any fuel.

So this morning I pulled the top of the carb off and the fuel bowls were empty, and the line to the carb was dry.
The float adjustment was fine, the filter screens were very clean and the needles and seats looked good

It has an edelbrock 1406 carb (600 cfm, electric choke) and a mechanical pump

So, i guess my question is what should keep the fuel from draining out of the carb, is there a check valve in the fuel pump?

Thanks
Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Carb/Fuel problem

I just installed the fuel pressure gauge i bought months ago

I have about 4.5 and bouncing at idle, 4 steady at anything off idle
but when I stop the engine it take 15 seconds for the pressure to drop down to nothing
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 06:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Talking Re: Carb/Fuel problem

check valve in the pump is inop.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

thank you, i was not sure if there was a check valve in the pump

thanks again
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Mech fuel pump won't hold pressure very long. Hard starting when cold? Depress gas pedal a couple of times to set choke and dump a couple squirts of fuel into intake.

No fuel overnight in bowls? Heat soak of carb, evaporating fuel from bowl. Might install a heat isolator plate between carb and intake. A plastic/composition one, or wood.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.'Other Stuff' CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Talking Re: Carb/Fuel problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskeesour View Post
check valve in the pump is inop.

Wait uh minute....is it the stock pump or OEM factory pump?

November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Well, no check is necessary because the fuel inlet level is higher than the bowl level. But the fuel pump itself should have checks.

Your gas is either vaporizing out the top or possibly leaking thru the carb into the intake. Sounds like you've had the carb awhile and would have had vaporization problems before now. I can't right off top of my head think of a possible external leak on an Edelbrock where you would lose evry drop.

The only problems I've ever had on Edelbrocks have been caused by dirt. I would kit it and try again.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ess_main.shtml

somebody will come along that has maybe had this problem on an eddy

Your 4# fuel pressure is a little low. Heck you may be losing the pump. Do you have a vented gas cap? I can't hardly imagine the tank sucking back hard enough to vaporize all the fuel in the bowl and return it to the tank, but stranger things have happened.

Hey why don't you try unscrewing the gas cap tonight and see how it does in the morning. Yeah, that beats hell out of buying one of Edelbrocks high $ kits.

Tim Smith
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskeesour View Post
Wait uh minute....is it the stock pump or OEM factory pump?
no, its looks something like a holly mechanical pump, and may be but I dont know
it has been there for a long while
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 07:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Eddy's are pretty simple...Ive worked a couple and I remember them only being 2 pieces. I cant think of a spot where they would allow vaporization of the fuel....I would check checks in the pump and make sure tank is venting proper...

Thanks Chief.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Mech fuel pump won't hold pressure very long. Hard starting when cold? Depress gas pedal a couple of times to set choke and dump a couple squirts of fuel into intake.

No fuel overnight in bowls? Heat soak of carb, evaporating fuel from bowl. Might install a heat isolator plate between carb and intake. A plastic/composition one, or wood.
Setting the choke and pumping the empty accelerator pump doesnt really help

the problem is not only when cold, just after sitting for a few hours, the motor could still be 100*
it seems like the problem is just time, not really the temp

And i just went out and ran it for a few minutes (only got to about 150*), checked to make sure there is fuel sitting in it and I will check tomorrow and see if its still there
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
Well, no check is necessary because the fuel inlet level is higher than the bowl level. But the fuel pump itself should have checks.

Your gas is either vaporizing out the top or possibly leaking thru the carb into the intake. Sounds like you've had the carb awhile and would have had vaporization problems before now. I can't right off top of my head think of a possible external leak on an Edelbrock where you would lose evry drop.

The only problems I've ever had on Edelbrocks have been caused by dirt. I would kit it and try again.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ess_main.shtml

somebody will come along that has maybe had this problem on an eddy

Your 4# fuel pressure is a little low. Heck you may be losing the pump. Do you have a vented gas cap? I can't hardly imagine the tank sucking back hard enough to vaporize all the fuel in the bowl and return it to the tank, but stranger things have happened.

Hey why don't you try unscrewing the gas cap tonight and see how it does in the morning. Yeah, that beats hell out of buying one of Edelbrocks high $ kits.
I am not lossing every drop. there were still about 7 or 8 in there this morning LOL

Yes, i do have a pretty new locking vented cap, and a full tank right now

But I when I was out there a few minutes ago, the pressure was down to 3.5* so I guess i need to find a new pump or a rebuild kit for this one
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 07:49 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

The fuel pressure will bleed off.

Tim Smith
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 07, 07:50 PM
Banned
Ron

Are you sure the float level and the float drop are adjusted properly?.....I have a #1407 and both float adjustments were way off!....On mine, the float level is 7/16" and the float drop is 1".....If everything is OK then I think it's time for a fuel pump with a maximum pressure of 5-6 psi
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 04:28 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

But even if he gets a new fuel pump, it still is not going to remedy the "no-fuel" in the carb issue. I suspect evaporating fuel from heat since he mentioned no fuel squirting from accelerating pump.

The reason the engine is cranking so long is the fuel pump is sucking fuel from the supply and filling the bowl. Takes time/strokes. Since you have only 4 psi, maybe a new pump is warrantied. Definitely would help shorten the cranking time.

I'd find or make a heat isolator for the carb. Lay an A/C thermometer about the base of the carb or shoot it with a temp gun to see the temp.

You might try another brand of fuel, different recipe. Maybe the station you trade at got a snoot full of winter recipe, it will evap fast in summer.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.'Other Stuff' CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 07, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Are you sure the float level and the float drop are adjusted properly?.....I have a #1407 and both float adjustments were way off!....On mine, the float level is 7/16" and the float drop is 1".....If everything is OK then I think it's time for a fuel pump with a maximum pressure of 5-6 psi
I have not measured the drop, but it looks like its about 1". The level is 7/16"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode