Bad mech. fuel pump from crankcase pressure?? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Bad mech. fuel pump from crankcase pressure??

So if its not one thing its another! Today was a beautiful day to drive the new camaro 18 miles to work. I made it about 14 miles then I noticed small puffs of smoke in my rear view mirror. So I stopped at a light and got on it some and noticed a lot more smoke coming out the passenger side of the camaro. I pull over and pop the hood to find oil all over the front passenger of the engine down low. The top of the Edelbrock fuel pump was covered with oil and as I would rev the motor the fan would splash the oil on the headers and you get the smoke.

After a little digging around the only leaking was on the fuel pump itself. I guess there are weep or seep holes on the top of it and oil was coming from these holes. I called Edelbrock and they said that when a motor has excessive crankcase pressure the seal in the fuel pump will blow and oil will shoot out the seep holes.

So then I call Bill Mitchell and they said thats BS. They have never heard of that and the fact that I have a PCV valve connected to the back of the carb and a Billet Specialties breather in the other valve cover that I am good to go.

So was this a coincidence that the first time I drive the car for more then 10 miles at around 2800 rpms the whole way and the fuel pump blows the seal?

Any input would be great!!!!

Thanks, Erik

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Re: Bad mech. fuel pump from crankcase pressure??

Fuel pumps are cheap enought o buy one and swap it out to see if the f/pump is the problem.

You could hook up (Tee) a vacuum/fuel pressure gauge to the PCV line to see how much blow-by is generated at 3K rpm's. A sealed engine should have minimal amount of blow-by. You may have to seal the breather.

Any oil film from the breather? If there is, evidence of too much blow-by.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.'Other Stuff' CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 06:50 PM

Erik,
I have never heard of a fuel pump diaphram breaking because of crankcase pressure. I would just figure it broke, things do get old and break Replace it and get on with driving.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

Enginerepairshop.com
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I did replace it, it was the only way I was getting home. Thankfully a friend who is a camaro god and drag racer lives within a mile of my work. He wasn't home but his wife gave me access to his tools. I borrowed her truck, ran to Jegs and bought the same pump and installed it and drove 17 miles home with no issues. I took the brathers apart and there was some small oil residue but not enough that I would get alarmed.

Hopefully all this is a coincidence. We'll see and time will tell.

Two engine builders told me that it is not crankcase pressure as well.

Thanks, Erik

67 Camaro Pro Street, 540 Bill Mitchell Merlin big block, Merlin Aluminum heads, Holley 870, hydraulic camshaft, 2" Hooker Super Comp headers, Mallory and Crane ignition system, TH400, 2600 stahl, Ford 9" w/ 4:10 gears and posi.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 09:13 PM
Senior Tech

This just happened to me this weekend. I am trying a new baffling system for my valve covers that don't have the room. They are tall valve cover but still don't have room for baffles because of the stud girdles. Anyway, the PCV pops off the hose at WOT and I get the cloud behind me.

I have been through 3 Edelbrock and Holley pumps. They all have the same flaw. The oil seal in them slides off the diagphram shaft easily. The 6 vane pumps like this are notorious leakers and it is very common for that seal to slide down. You have to unbolt the bottom of the pump, unhook the diaphragm and slide the rubber oil seal back in place.

I am researching what kind of mechanical style pump I am going to run next. I am tired of these production flawed units that are destined for failure. Holley and Edelbrock can send me as many replacement oil seals for free as they want, but they aren't the ones having to unbolt the pump (that should work) and hoping the cheapo cast housing isn't going to strip out this time when I put it back together.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 08, 09:15 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Beckett View Post
I did replace it, it was the only way I was getting home. Thankfully a friend who is a camaro god and drag racer lives within a mile of my work. He wasn't home but his wife gave me access to his tools. I borrowed her truck, ran to Jegs and bought the same pump and installed it and drove 17 miles home with no issues. I took the brathers apart and there was some small oil residue but not enough that I would get alarmed.

Hopefully all this is a coincidence. We'll see and time will tell.

Two engine builders told me that it is not crankcase pressure as well.

Thanks, Erik
It is crankcase pressure. But that shouldn't be enough to knock a properly functioning oil seal off. Do a search here and on other boards. You will see a lot others running into this problem. There would be a lot more people complaining if they knew the real reason their pumps failed. I think most people just throw them away and buy a new one or get a different style.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I had the same thing happen to my Edelbrock pump and they told me the seal was bad, but they never told me it had anything to do with crankcase pressure. They just said the internal seal was bad and they would replace the pump for me(free).

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech

Got this bolt installed?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Nova, he said he had oil on the top of the pump. If that bolt wasn't installed, would he get oil on top of the pump? I am asking because I honestly don't know.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Beckett View Post
I pull over and pop the hood to find oil all over the front passenger of the engine down low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
Nova, he said he had oil on the top of the pump. If that bolt wasn't installed, would he get oil on top of the pump? I am asking because I honestly don't know.
I must have misread the symptoms....
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

"The top of the Edelbrock fuel pump was covered with oil and as I would rev the motor the fan would splash the oil on the headers."

You are right about the front of the engine, but he also said he had oil on the top of the pump.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 07:57 AM
Senior Tech

Oil tends to collect much more on the top of things than the bottom.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 08:44 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

Why not just do an electric fuel pump?
If I were to burn through 3 mechs i would switch to electric...

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
Oil tends to collect much more on the top of things than the bottom.
Damn that gravity!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.'Other Stuff' CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 08, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

Curious on this condition. Is anyone running a high volume oil pump ?? and if so could the high volume pump push to much oil behind the fuel pump causing the seal to fail ????

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project
www.firstgenjigs.com
joeammo@myfairpoint.net
http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/camjoe63/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode