Best Oil Pan Gasket - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Best Oil Pan Gasket

I have an oil leak that is comming from the rear of the oil pan, appears to be the gasket. It has a one piece gasket from Fel-Pro. It's a fresh rebuilt
SBC 350 with a Moroso oil pan. The engine was broken in on the dyno, and it did leak in the same place as now. The builder said he put a new gasket, started it up again and it didn't leak. Now the engine is in the car, with only a couple of miles on it, with this leak. I can say that I have no other leaks anywhere else. I'm thinking of doing the gasket change with the engine in the car by lifting it for clearance. Not happy at all at the moment! But I have to get it done. I don't want to go with the same gasket if it's going to leak again. Any suggestions on gaskets would be appreciated. It's a '69 block with a stock front timing cover. Oil pan is also studded, which may pose some problems getting the oil pan out. Thanks in advance, if I left anything out, please let me know and I will provide the needed info.

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 10:21 AM
Tech Team

Re: Best Oil Pan Gasket

those one piece fel-pro gaskets usualy work pretty good. you do have to have the surfaces completly dry to get a good seal and dont use any silicone. you might just try a multi piece cork set .
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bigblockSS View Post
those one piece fel-pro gaskets usualy work pretty good. you do have to have the surfaces completly dry to get a good seal and dont use any silicone. you might just try a multi piece cork set .
Yeah, thats exactly what the builder told me, they were good gaskets.
You mention no silicone as well, when I get in there with a light I can see silicone between the gasket and the rear main cap. Seems like he did this to keep the gasket in position, while installing the pan. What might be a good adhesive to do this when I get in there to fix this?

Ken
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bigblockSS View Post
I have had a failed Fel Pro one piece oil pan gasket just like these guys.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ight=piece+oil

I just installed a Corteco one piece pan gasket.

Mike
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike68RS View Post
I have had a failed Fel Pro one piece oil pan gasket just like these guys.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/show...ight=piece+oil

I just installed a Corteco one piece pan gasket.

Mike
I have never liked the Felpro one peice pan gasket and the Corteco 16635 is a much better gasket!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 02:59 PM
Senior Tech
George

I used a milodon on my 406 its a one peice! works nice!

1948 Chevrolet Fleetline Areosedan PRO STREET!
406 Solid Roller motor!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
george

Both felpro one piece oil pan gskts that i used failed with two different pans..albeit under the timing chain cover.Never again for me.Went back to a victor cork and rubber with rtv in the corners and dry as a bone.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech
Chet

I too had bad luck with the Fel-Pro 1 pc gasket for my 350 and now my 400, leaks at the back and it wasn't the main. This time while I had to to do a rebuild of the 406, I put in a Victor Reinz 1 pc from CNC Motorsports.com and I have to say I really liked the way it made compared to the Fel-Pro and the material it is made of is Victo-Tech Rubber instead of the silicone type. I was able to put ultra black around the ends of the timing cover and the back end of the pan as well as the corners as suggested. Though I have not had the car running yet, I feel better about the way it went together and pretty confident that it won't leak. I'll know hopefully by the end of the this weekend.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 05:54 PM
Senior Tech

WOW I thought it was just me with FEL-PRO one peice gaskets now I feel better.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 05:58 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

I've had bad luck with them too with my car. I've done what your talking about doing 3 times, and it sucks. I finally had to pull the motor to get it right. I put it back on the dyno to ensure that it wasn't leaking before I put it back in the car the last time.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags
My Cars
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Dang. I was gonna say to use the Fel-pro one piece and that I've had good luck with them until I read how many of you have had problems with them. I always used a little silicone in the corners and they sealed fine.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/8-7.6sec@88mph,1/4-12.1@110mph,Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC
http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k264/pnewell44/
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 09, 10:28 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I put a one-piece FelPro in mine and it didn't leak for the thirty minute run. The thing to be sure of at the rear is that the little recesses are completely clean and free of any old RTV and degreased. Nothing sticks to old RTV, not even new RTV. The gasket has two little tabs that go up into those recesses and there along with the front corners at the timing cover should be the only place RTV is needed on the one-piece.

I did mine with the motor in the car and actually had to jack the pan up onto the motor to get the bolts in. The two ends of the gasket had to kinda stretch around the round parts on the front and rear. That coupled with the thickness of the gasket made for a big headache trying to get the bolts in while holding the pan up by hand.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 09, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Thanks to everyone for the information and feedback! Looks like I won't be going with the Fel-Pro one piece again. Where can I get the Corteco gaskets from? I haven't done a search for them yet. I can already imagine my frustrations under the car taking care of this problem. You guys think I should pull the engine? Grrrrrrr!

Ken
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 09, 09:14 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

They make 2 different one piece gaskets for the sbc's, depending on which year model.
I'm beginning to wonder if some of you recieved the wrong ones.
Mine works fine, your supposed to apply a small ammount of silicone on the corners by the timing cover and rear main.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 09, 10:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

I've had no problems with Fel-Pros 1 pc gaskets. I have one on the oil pan and both vlave cover. I'm also using the blue Fel-Pro t'stat gasket.

No problems at all.

Rob

Sold 6-1-2014 after owning the car for 18+ years

69 Z-28 X-77 HO * DZ Put away * M20 * 4.10
406 CI * CC XR274R 236/242@.050 564/570 110 LSA/106 ICL * Brodix IK 200
475 HP, 495# tor
Street Tires, Full Exhaust Sep 07 -12.68 @ 113 MPH * Street Tires, Open Headers Oct 08 - 12.65 @ 116.2 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode