Please help with alternator bracket! (photos) - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Erik

Please help with alternator bracket! (photos)

Hello, first of all thanks for reading my post. I have a 1969 Camaro with a 350 engine from 1971. The bottom alternator bracket has cleanly snapped in half somehow and now I need to replace it. What do you guys recommend? I have seen some for standard manifolds but the headers don't look like they could possibly get in the way? Do the '71 engines require different brackets than the '69's? Last of all, if the one you recommend is different than stock please explain why you like it more because I do not understand this part of the engine very well. Thanks again I really appreciate the help!
Erik

Last edited by lantis; Jun 14th, 11 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Re: Please help with alternator bracket! (photos)

why not just get it welded back together, grind down the bead and sand it smooth?

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67
My 67 Camaro
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator
Jake-68's rule

With the set-up you have installed, you should install the long bolt and spacer between the alt and cylinder head as the alt is vibrating and broke the bracket.

You can get the long bolt and spacer most anywhere, store or Pick Your Part.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls.
'With age comes wisdom, but then wisdom ages you even more.' GO CUBS! Other Stuff
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

*edit* Don't mean to sound repetitive. Looks like we were all posting at the same time.

*second edit* From what I see of the left head, it looks like you might not have accessory holes which is why they used a short bolt.

The reason it snapped is because it is incomplete. The bolt that goes through the bracket and the lower hole in the alternator is supposed to be about 7" long and screw into a hole in the head. It goes through the bracket, through the lower alternator hole, through a spacer around 3" long and into the head. If your engine heads do not have accessory holes in the end then they make an L bracket that bolts to the headers.

If you have accessory holes, you can purchase something like the kit in the link below and just use the lower bracket, bolt, and spacer while reusing your top bracket.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-47293/?rtype=10

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft
www.cmengines.com
'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 06:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Hey Eric-

1. I have one of those brackets that I will give you if you will foot the cost for shipping.

2. Your bracket mount is incomplete. The bolt that runs through the bracket and alternator should extend through a spacer tube into the head. That sets it up really rigid. I believe I have one of those spacer tubes too, it isn't for a 69 model, but it will work for you. You would have to hit your local hardware store up for a long bolt.

Please send me a private email message with your interest and your mailing address.

Andrew

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos: http://www.camaros.net/showroom/show...0&ppuser=11587
Member # 159
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 08:40 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Please help with alternator bracket! (photos)

I added "back light" until I could see that you have the old double hump heads with no accessory holes. My Suggestions are :

1) Fix or replace your broken bracket.

2) Fab a "L" type bracket that bolts to the header bolt and the back of the alternator bracket as shown in the below picture.

You probably will want to gusset the corner of that bracket.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; May 5th, 10 at 08:54 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 09:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Erik, these guy's sound like mechanical engineers. Good stuff here. Also, my alternator is setup just like these guys say yours should be. Never had a problem.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495, 128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.
http://epitomesrebuild.com/
http://ss427.net/
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Erik

Hey, thank you all for such great responses. I have a few questions that you can hopefully help me out with, would an accessory hole be a threaded hole on the head? If so TJS69 is correct, second TJS69 you mentioned an old double hump head... I don't know a lot about my engine, is that the stock head for a '71? Last of all can I take one of the bolts for the header out to install the bracket mount support without replacing the gasket or should I also order one of those as well? Thanks again, I am really impressed by how helpful you have all been.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that right now I only have a single car carport, so I am not able to fabricate or weld. In a few months I am upgrading to a garage and plan to get a welder but for now I would like to buy part that I need.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old May 5th, 10, 11:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

They sell header mount brackets but only for the short water pump models with the alternator on the driver's side. If you're good, you can drill and tap a hole in the head. The best way to mark the hole would probably be to get the new bracket kit, mount the lower plate on the waterpump, put the spacer behind the lower mount without the alternator, put the long bolt through the mount and spacer until it touches the head, put some washers and a nut on the end of the end of the bolt and tighten it to jam the spacer against the lower mount, then hold the nut while you turn the long bolt with a wrench driving it against the head. That should drive it out and into the head to mark the spot you need to drill.

Those heads are not '71 heads. I think all heads started getting accessory holes in '69.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft
www.cmengines.com
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 12:21 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

mistype

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft
www.cmengines.com

Last edited by Steiner; May 6th, 10 at 12:36 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 09:06 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Please help with alternator bracket! (photos)

I wouldn't worry about the header gasket. You should be fine with only removing the one bolt. You will have to use a new, longer bolt. Any 3/8 bolt should work. As Steiner mentioned the heads you have are pre-69 heads. They are probably '461 or '462 heads. (last 3 numbers of the part numbers)

I found you a bracket that is already made for you ! You may have to modify it some, to work on the passenger side. I also wonder if it really is for a "long" water pump as most cars that have the alternator on the driver's side are a "short" water pump.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFF-4502/

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 TPI transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; May 6th, 10 at 09:27 AM.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 09:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

allen grove sells a rear alternator bracket for no accesory hole heads.
I got one on mine and it mounts to the water pump bolts.
pics is hard to see it

Dawgs 69
434 stroker
US Navy retired
http://www.northeastf-bodyassn.com/
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
With the set-up you have installed, you should install the long bolt and spacer between the alt and cylinder head as the alt is vibrating and broke the bracket.
You can get the long bolt and spacer most anywhere, store or Pick Your Part.
That was going to be my recommendation, until I realized the cylinder head has no accessory holes.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 10:02 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
They sell header mount brackets but only for the short water pump models with the alternator on the driver's side. If you're good, you can drill and tap a hole in the head. .
I did that years ago and it worked fine. As I recall, the hole was drilled through to the rocker arm valley and reqired a washer to shim it to the correct length so the pulleys would line up, and used some gasket sealer on the bolt threads to prevent oil from seeping out.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 6th, 10, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Erik

I took X33D80 up on his very generous offer of just paying shipping for the replacement bracket and spacer so now my question is how hard it is to drill and tap a head. I don't think I would have a problem lining up where it needed to be drilled but I am concerned with it leaking cracking or something else fun like that. Thank you all again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
alternator, belt, bracket, lower bracket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode