Chevy "X" Connecting Rods - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 99, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Can anybody tell me about Chevy "X" connecting rods? I saw them in a catalog and they appear to be good quality rod, a step up from stock rods, it looks.

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech
They are mid ' 70's castings, they are actually X and O castings. I have seen them in truck engines, and passenger cars.They supposedly are a little stronger , but not like Pink rods, or any available aftermarket rods.For a stock rebuild or a mild street engine though, they should be fine with a good set of rod bolts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 99, 02:36 PM
It used to be that the "X" rods were a better rod, but beginning somewhere in the mid eighties, they started showing up in a lot of 305's and they are not the same rod. The most important thing to look at on the rods, if you decide to buy them, is the thickness of the beam, about halfway up the length of the rod, measured in a front to rear direction as the rod sits in the motor. The older "X" rods were usually in the .575" area. The newer ones are as thin as .512" and are substantially weaker. If the place you are buying them from cannot tell you this measurement, then I would stay away from them. I personally think you are better off finding a good set of used rods that measure correctly, and have a local machine shop install ARP bolts and resize the big ends. I am not saying this due to my business, I just think it is the best way to go. Price should be very similar.
Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 11-28-99).]
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode