What Fuel Pump will work? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 00, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question

I have a 69 camaro, and I want to put a higher flowing mechanical pump than stock. I also want to run -8 braided lines from pump to carb. I have heard that some pumps hit the crossmember. I have a zz5 crate motor and will be using a speed demon 750 mechanical carb. Is this possible or do I need to stay with stock setup. I don't want to do electric if all possible. I know the z28 had a huge carb and I assume that pump was adequate. Any thoughts? Thanks!

------------------
Jay 69 SS-350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 00, 10:45 AM
David Pozzi

67's are worse. I had to bump the metal back and make more room on my crossmember.

I have a friend who ran the holley mech pump on his 69. And I think he later changed it for a carter.
I like the carter pumps and they make a special one for circle track to take AN fittings. you can rotate the housing to clear if there is trouble it screws on.
David

------------------
The older I get, the faster I was!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 00, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I run a pump similar to the one David describes. The stock pump will not have the proper connection for AN fittings as they are flare type. Unless you are running buckets of NO2 a -6 will be more than adequate. 3/8 was the biggest line available for any Camaro, ZL-1, L-78, Z-28....

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 00, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks guys. Dave, I've run a carter before on circle track cars and had to rotate the bottom half. Thanks Carl, I was wondering if the -6an fittings were adequate. What psi and gpm do you guys recommend? I was thinking around 7-8 psi and 110-120 gpm. You guys are positive I can run the carter fuel pump with those fittings and clear the crossmember without modifying it? Thanks...

Jay
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 00, 02:46 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The pump david refers to has a -10 inlet and -8 outlet. The street version has 1/4 NPT inlet and outlet (I despise NPT but what are you gonna do?)It produces 6 psi. The "Strip Super Pump" is similar but produces 7.5-8.5 psi. 8.5 is a little on the high side. I'd go with the street version, 6 psi is adequate and easier on the cam lobe.

------------------
Click here to see see my car and hear 5-speeds. http://www.geocities.com/casanoc
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 00, 05:35 PM
David Pozzi

I've run the street carter on my 67 but I've bumped the frame back a little for clearance. If your engine is out I'd recomend bumping with a big hammer to make more room. If you do it carefully, you can hardly tell.
David

------------------
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Where did you get the street pump? I'm assuming Summitt or Jeg's.

------------------
Jay 69 SS-350
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 06:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Since someone helped me on this I'll pass it on. On a 72 Camaro the six-valve performance mechanical pumps from Holley and Edelbrock don't fit; no matter how you turn them either the inlet or outlet hits the frame pads or ? Edelbrock sells a lower plate that replaces the stock one; it fits any six valve style pump. It allows the inlet/outlet to go out the bottom of the pump. They come in 3/8" npt and 1/2" npt so you could run whatever fuel line size you prefer. Part number is Edelbrock #1797 (3/8" npt) and 1798 (1/2" npt). Cost is about $20.

Jody
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

I got mine from the former Pep Boys.

------------------
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 00, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

I have a Holley 6 valve (NASCAR style) fuel pump on my 69 with SBC (ZZ3) and it fits. Clearance is a little tight and I had to rotate the valve body a notch or two, but it does fit. The clearance was tight enough that I had to use a 90 degree elbow on the back fitting (input I think) with a 60 degree hose end. You can't run the input line to the pump from the back over the cross member. Not enough room.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 10:46 AM

Hi guys, sorry this may be off topic but since alot of you guys have had carters I'm wondering if you have noticed any clattering from the pump starting at around 1000rpm(sounds like valve lash out of adjustment)as I noticed it when I put on my street carter and removed it as I am not sure this was normal(have on stock type now).

thanks
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 12:16 PM
David Pozzi

I'm shure most of you know about this, but it's for the benefit of those that haven't.

This sounds like a good time to warn everyone about a bolt hole that intersects the fuel pump pushrod hole. It 's the upper bolt hole on the engines lower right front.

Origonally a motor mount bolt hole, it can be used with a longer than normal bolt, to hold the fuel pump rod up for easier installation of the fuel pump.

If you put a bolt in there that is too long and tighten it up, you can bend the fuel pump rod and cause a knock.

Also engine oil can come out of the hole if there is no bolt in there.

There is supposed to be a rubber gromet under the fuel pump fork where it pulls on the diaphram, it quiets the operation of the pump. I've never heard of a new carter making noise.
David

------------------
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 24th, 00, 08:29 PM

I actually just use assembly lube to help hold the rod up long enough to put on the pump and right now the stock pump does not make the same noise however, I will check to see if it has the gromet that you mentioned.

thanks david
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech

Re: What Fuel Pump will work?

Since it has been a while since this thread, and I am now having the same problems mentioned, I thought maybe I would see if anyone has any good or better solutions. I bought a Holley High-Performance Fuel Pump today (12-327-11 GM SB 110 GPH) and as you can see in the picture, there is now way it is going to work. It is hard to see, but the one threaded hole on the left is actually hitting the frame. I would prefer not to have to beat the frame and if anyone has any part numbers for a mechanical pump that will fit, that would help a great deal.

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 05, 06:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Re: What Fuel Pump will work?

Can't you remove those 6 bolts holding the base on and "clock" it to a different direction that clears?

Jody

Jody

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode