Team Camaro Tech banner

Went to the speed shop and??????

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  DOUG G 
#1 ·
383 475+hp
holley 750 carb
31 front squirter and 35 rear squirter

I was having a hesitation issue when i hit the gas so I went to get some new squirters turns out that i should have a 650 carb not a 750.
So here comes the question stick with Holley or goto Edelbrock.
I am not familiar with Edelbrock but many say its so much better for street driving?????? Please help.
I thought my build was done........uuuuggggg:nerd:

#2 ·
For a street car and mpg...Edel looks like the way to go. But I like Holley type carbs, just my preference.

383, a 750 VS carb would be my choice for the street....but a 650 would work fine as long as you're not turning 7000+rpm

#4 ·
Stay with Holly. I have not had much luck with the new Edelbrocks and I've tried them on my '69 and '68. I had an old Edelbrock from back in the day that worked fine. You should be able to use your 750 on that motor. Which one do you have?

#5 ·
Hollwy 750 double aed. Cant find the number because i dont have choke tower. My biggest issue is I am dumping fuel down the exhaust. I leaned it out a bit 1 turn out total on each screw. It has gotten better.
Speed shop says advance timing. When I did that it ran hot. Don't want that...
I am 16° at idle and I think 34 st 3000.
I also have to admit I like the red color of the new holley carbs.

#17 ·
Me, 3310-4 VS , jetted for 3500 ft elevations, 45 pv, 70 pri, 76 sec with 55 pv.
I have a 80531 holley 850 hp downleg , jetted for same motor, it makes the motor scream but does not have the crisp throttle response as my 750 and kills my 20+ mpg on hiway.
So 850 back in the box. Took it in on trade for a Demon I was unhappy with. Stick with my tried and proven 3310.

#9 ·
750 set up right should be fine.

When you say you're dumping fuel are you saying at idle?

Are you running a VA?

What is your vacuum at idle?

Have you set you idle mixtures using a vacuum gauge?

#11 ·
I called the guy that built my motor and then I called aed performance. The car sat for a while (3yrs) after I picked it up both told me separately that something is gummed up..
So now I will clean the bowls and metering blocksand aor bleeds.....hope that's it.

#12 ·
Replace all of the gaskets, the metering blocks for sure, return the carb to the stock setting and see where you are at.

#15 ·
I would try to repair your AED carburetor. I would replace the needle and seat and install a new float. I used to soak my carburetor and parts in lacquer thinner overnight as long as there was no plastic parts. Now I just use Gummout carb cleaner and compressed air. If you are interested in new carburetors check out these 1. AED Ultra Crate Motor Carburetors: AED Ultra Crate Motor Carburetors U750CR-RD - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing 2. SS-Series Carburetor 735cfm VS: with choke SS-Series Carburetor 735cfm VS SS-735-VS - Quick Fuel Technology 3. Q- Series Carburetor 750cfm Drag Race, chokeless & mechanical secondary: Q- Series Carburetor 750cfm Drag Race Q-750 - Quick Fuel Technology 4. Holley 750CFM Ultra XP Carburetor: https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/ultra_xp/gas_ultra_xp/parts/0-80803RDX. All of these are excellent carburetors

#16 ·
I just had a Carter AFB rebuilt by a local carb shop. Did a great job for $185 and it was nasty to start with.

Helping a guy out with his 72.

Bolted on fired up and runs perfect

#18 ·
I am gonna tear tare the carb down starting tonight. hopefully a cleaning will do.
one thing i noticed was on the video of my cars run test my vacuum went from 9 down to 4 then shot up to about 20 wtf???????
though vac dropped with higher rpm

#19 ·
Doing what it should do.

Vacuum drop off when you 1st accelerate under load then will climb again.

Highest vacuum will be when you are just cruising or coasting at speed. That's where the VA kicks in to advance the dist and save fuel

#20 ·
awesome news thanks.
I tore the carb down last night. The secondary had a bunch of black almost sand in it. I am thinking that it came from my black braided an hose. Maybe i didn't clean them out enough and some ran to the carb the first time i started the car.
I blew all of the metering block holes out with carb cleaner and air along with the main body. I cant put it bck together today (work gets in way some times) but tonight or Friday morning we will see.

#22 ·
Looks like the stuff that plugs my filter before I switched to AV gas.

Reactions: Sedd68rs
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.