Team Camaro Tech banner

Cam ID update/request from Previous help request

544 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Larger Dave 
#1 ·
I was able to find out the cam I pulled out was a Crower # 00429 , Considering the equipment listed below, which cam can I replace this one with to make it less of a light to light car. I plan on changing the rear gears and keeping all the other parts? Thanks again for any help. Tony

Current bad cam:
Intake Dur. 276, Lift .614 clearance .026
Exhaust Dur. 286 Lift .620 clearance .028
4 degrees have been ground
Lobe Seperation 104 degrees

Current equipment:

750 Holley
Edelbrock JR. intake
355 ci hp block
headers
borg-warner 4 speed
hei
291 double hump heads (keeping)
456 gears

See less See more
#2 ·
What you had was a great cam for a race car though you would need more gear in the 5.13 to 5.57 range. Are you saying you want to take the car off the trailer and drive it on the street now? (you probably wouldn't have been competitive with those heads anyway.)

Need to know where and how you expect to drive the car to offer a recommendation.

Big Dave

#3 ·
Yes, exactly. I want to make it a regular driver. I personally never had it on a track and am figuring out now what the previous owner had in mind and what componants are in it. I just want to calm it down without having to replace all of the parts. I was hoping to get away with calmer gears and cam? Doable? Thank for your help

#5 ·
You also could leave the 4.56 gears in the rear end if you went to an overdrive transmission. Richmond Gear (aka Liberty) offered a 5 speed OD, as does TKO, Tremec and others if you have a manual trans now.

I ran 4.56 gears with my BBC and a 4L80e transmission. Final drive was 3.19 once the tranny shifted into OD with the 3,600 RPM converter locked up one to one. A very tolerable gear ratio for the street and still retained the get and go of a nine second car.

Big Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.