Team Camaro Tech banner

302 engine oil

10K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  DT 
#1 ·
Best oil for a stock 69 302 engine?

#16 ·
Is it original or a new build? My understanding is the ZZDP is most important during break in and initial operation while the flat tappet cam is hardened. My 302 was built around 1985 and initially used Penzoil 20/50(I think). I changed to Mobile 1 20/50 and either Mobile 1 or K & N filters and have had no problems manifested. But that is a very old build and low mileage.

#17 ·
Why not make it easy and run the valvoline vr-1 racing in either 10-30 or 20-50 that you can buy at any national auto parts store, it has all of the numbers that you want

#19 ·
I believe the ZDDP need for FT engines is ongoing, notwithstanding how very important it is for break-in. The Delo 400LE 15w40 contains about 1300 ppm ZDDP and the Valvoline VR-1 contains about 1400 ppm according to the product data sheets. I think either would be good based on these measures. The Mobil Oil website advertises that Mobil-1 10w30 has 900 ppm, 15w50 has 1300 and Mobil-1 Racing oils 0w30 and 0w50 have 1850 ppm ZDDP. I can't say that I've seen the Racing version of the Mobil-1 oils. I seem to recall reading somewhere that oils for FT motors should have at least 1200 ppm.

#22 ·
Dont forget AMSOIL's Z-Rod oil in 20-50 or 10-30 very high ZDDP and film strength.

Also to the question of adding ZDDP additives to an oil, DONT... reason is the same as your grandma's cookies, if you added an extra scoop of sugar or raised the oven temp 15 degrees, it will change the taste of the cookies. Same with oil. They are extremely sensitive to how they are originally made. Adding something new WILL change the chemistry of the oil and its additives and it WILL void the original product warranty as well.

#23 ·
When O'Reilly's runs it on sale for $25 for either the 5 quart jug or 5 quarts, I buy it up, otherwise I think it is $6.50 - $7.50.

#24 ·
In the olden days, we used to break in any motor with a non detergent Amaile black label oil. The old days.
Didn't matter , what GM motor it was. DZ , Lt. LM, PP, those names didn't exist. Of course GM was using come chrome rings back then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.