Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ilikeike
  • 1 Post By zdld17
  • 1 Post By 1968RallySport
  • 1 Post By VitaminC
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 248
Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

I've searched and seen lots of pictures of where the oil line hole should be in the firewall but they're all (that I've seen) bare firewalls. Does anybody have a picture of the oil line through the 68 firewall with the engine, distributor, coil, etc installed?

Also, does anybody have any tips on how to drill this hole without removing the engine? Can I do it by removing the distributor and coil?

Thanks in advance.

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
VitaminC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 04:28 AM
Senior Tech
kevin
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: virginia
Posts: 2,360
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

if you google this I think it shows all the pictures you want
68 camaro engine oil presure line location

sound track of my 68 383

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flat tire is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 248
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
if you google this I think it shows all the pictures you want
68 camaro engine oil presure line location
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
VitaminC is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 07:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 2 Dog Town in West Texas
Posts: 10,827
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminC View Post
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
This is the old hot rod method of running an oil line inside the cabin when I was carefree and worryless. Later as I was concerned about the chaffing of the line thru the metal cowl but some GM cars have a grommet to pass thru. My newer better method is putting a bulkhead fitting on the cowl as a pass thru and a stainless braided line feeding it on both sides. I may be going overboard here on this but I just want to make sure that line doesn't pop in the passenger compartment.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zdld17 is online now  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 248
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
This is the old hot rod method of running an oil line inside the cabin when I was carefree and worryless. Later as I was concerned about the chaffing of the line thru the metal cowl but some GM cars have a grommet to pass thru. My newer better method is putting a bulkhead fitting on the cowl as a pass thru and a stainless braided line feeding it on both sides. I may be going overboard here on this but I just want to make sure that line doesn't pop in the passenger compartment.
Thanks Don. I'm hoping there's a way to drill from the inside but I wouldn't know where to start the pilot hole. I've got the line and grommet. I've read the concerns about leakage but I believe once it is successfully installed I'll be ok because I rarely drive the car.

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
VitaminC is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 10:18 AM
Senior Tech
Darin
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Stanislaus Co. Ca.
Posts: 628
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

There should be a dimple from the factory on the firewall where they drilled the hole for the oil line, the firewalls had dimples pretty much where every option was to be located.
I'm not sure if it shows in the Factory assembly manual, since I don't have it on this PC.
VitaminC likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
TKO 600
9" narrowed 3"
421" Dart SHP block.
ilikeike is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 248
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike View Post
There should be a dimple from the factory on the firewall where they drilled the hole for the oil line, the firewalls had dimples pretty much where every option was to be located.
I'm not sure if it shows in the Factory assembly manual, since I don't have it on this PC.
I've got the 68 AIM and I've seen where it should be. I haven't found the dimple yet but I assume it is there.

I'm assuming I have to remove the distributor and coil to get to it but I'm still hoping there's another way.

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
VitaminC is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 11:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 2 Dog Town in West Texas
Posts: 10,827
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

You could drill from the inside out as the hole is or should be just below the heater housing door. I would place a rubber hose on your drill bit to act as a stop to keep from going too far. Might check on whats on the opposite side just to be sure, I would guess you would be very close to the back of the block where the oil sender is.. probably close to that dimple.
VitaminC likes this.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
zdld17 is online now  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 248
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
You could drill from the inside out as the hole is or should be just below the heater housing door. I would place a rubber hose on your drill bit to act as a stop to keep from going too far. Might check on whats on the opposite side just to be sure, I would guess you would be very close to the back of the block where the oil sender is.. probably close to that dimple.
Thanks for the tip!

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
VitaminC is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 248
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

I think I'll try the "coat hanger" trick

Please! Need a pic of location of firewall hole oil gauge line for 67!

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
VitaminC is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 01:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Daryl
 
1968RallySport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 771
Garage
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaminC View Post
I've searched and seen lots of pictures of where the oil line hole should be in the firewall but they're all (that I've seen) bare firewalls. Does anybody have a picture of the oil line through the 68 firewall with the engine, distributor, coil, etc installed?

Also, does anybody have any tips on how to drill this hole without removing the engine? Can I do it by removing the distributor and coil?

Thanks in advance.
Here's a picture of mine.

VitaminC likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1968RallySport is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 248
Re: Anybody have a picture of a 68 oil line with engine installed?

Thank-you very much Daryl, that helps.
1968RallySport likes this.

'68 numbers matching J-6 Rally Sport
'68 numbers matching C-C Base - (SOLD)
'68 numbers matching J-2 Rally Sport (SOLD)
VitaminC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome