Engine General Engine Discussion.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Gbauer
  • 1 Post By BPOS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Fuel pump...tried to go simple, didn't go simple enough.

After lurking/posting on various threads concerning fuel pumps, I decided to scrap the initial plan to use an electric pump, and just go with a mechanical. Simple, right?

I'll be running a QuickFuel 750 carb, and likely making around 400-425hp on the 383 stroker.
So...I purchased a Quickfuel mechanical carb, initernally regulated, thinking that would be a perfect match for the QuickFuel carb.

And it probably WOULD be, if there was anyway to get the inlet/outlet ports into a position that you could actually run fuel lines to them, due to the subframe/radiator hose/headers. Even rotating the bowl to move the ports, no way that pump is going to go in there, as far as myself, and 3 other motor guys who know a whole lot more about motors than I do, can tell.

So in my efforts to go simple, I guess I didn't go simple enough, and need to order a stock GM fuel pump.

Bottom line, it's never as easy as you try to make it

Jim
Hanging on the Gulf Coast

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Radiator pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 08:46 AM
Senior Tech
Darin

Re: Fuel pump...tried to go simple, didn't go simple enough.

You can't find some A/N fittings with the bends you need to plumb it ?
I had a fancy A/C Delco Hi-Perf one that had the inlet outlets @180 deg from one another,still made it work fine.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
TKO 600
9" narrowed 3"
421" Dart SHP block.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The inlet to the pump, with no fittings, is 1/4" from the subframe. If I rotate it counter-clockwise (looking down on the pump) so that I can get to the inlet, the outlet is about 1/2" from the radiator hose.

Jim

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 09:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Surely you have inlet space say with the pump face mounted to block, in 7 ti 10 oclock position? I came from the fuel tank, along the top of the frame into the fuel filter, the inlet was pointing to the frame but I had a large inlet hole , I used a 45 street ell, . I used tube insulation to cover the inlet lines and filter. Is a low buck , positive way and works.

The outlet is as you see, with an AN fitting pointing up to my line to the carb.
I realize some lines run close to hoses or in path of air flow from radiator, thats why I used the silver heat barrier cover.

I use my own tuned 3310 for a carb. I have tried all the others and they all have some glitch about them I don't like.

I have cruised over 50K miles on this set up with a Holley chrome 11-327 pump and it works best. I run a stroker also.

Simple
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0328.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	171274  

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'll take another look when I get back over to the car, with a fresh set of eyes...

Jim

Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 10:28 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

I have a holley pump on my 68 and it is a very tight fit
I used two of these ell fittings and the outlet fitting is clocked tight against the bolt that covers the pump push rod
I believe I actually ground a little of the fitting
http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...lAqXMM0Ycg.jpg

sound track of my 68 383

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The Carter 6900 is $$154 on Amazon, and $75 on Summit. That's odd...

Jim

Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 11:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
The Carter 6900 is $$154 on Amazon, and $75 on Summit. That's odd...
I took the Carter 6900 off as it has 1/4'' NPT fittings vs the 12-327-11 Holley with 3/'8"' , I am not much for bling but its been with me a long time.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

First order is a mechanical fuel pump (of the type driven off of the cam eccentric) is fixed at seven psi by virtue of the spring inside the pump. It is the pressure of the spring pushing against a diaphragm wall that forces fuel out of the pump at a constant pressure. If you have a belt driven fuel pump (like found on a fuel or alcohol car) then all bets are off.

There shouldn't be any need for a pressure regulator. But if you where to install one you would also need to install a return fuel line since all aftermarket fuel pumps are of a dead head design. You have to give the gas someplace to go with a pressure regulator.

Second point in reference to your issue with the location of the inlet and outlet. Every mechanical pump I have looked at allow you to rotate the bottom of the pump by unscrewing all of the fasteners and rotating it one way or the other then reassembling it with care to verify the diaphragm isn't torn by a rotating screw (I use Vaseline petroleum jelly to keep the rubber from wrapping around the threads and tearing the diaphragm).

Big Dave
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 01:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

My 6 banger has it mounted upside down.

Doesn't help you but thought you guys might find it a bit quirky. They're all mounted like this and a 350 fuel pump works fine but the hose connections are oriented like mine so they're a bit off. Had to get creative.
zdld17 likes this.

1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Also own: 2014 Mustang GT and a 2013 Dodge Citadel. One red, one white and one blue from the Big Three.

Politics is cyclical. You start off young voting Democrat. Grow older and wiser and vote Republican. Then you die and vote Democrat again.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 01:57 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Simple is good. My 383 makes a bit more power than yours and is fed by a $17 parts house replacement pump. I have never starved it of fuel, though I don't drag race it. Used a repro z/28 fuel line to a $75 swap meet Holley 700DP, and was easy to set up.
ZZ_430 likes this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 17, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Simple is good. My 383 makes a bit more power than yours and is fed by a $17 parts house replacement pump. I have never starved it of fuel, though I don't drag race it. Used a repro z/28 fuel line to a $75 swap meet Holley 700DP, and was easy to set up.
This.

You don't need anything more than a stock pump for your setup.

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~

Don't mess with Texas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode