milky oil remedy - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

milky oil remedy

I have a new crate motor in my 68. I am finishing up the restoration and while she is sitting in the garage I have been using a gas can to put gas in. Well I had a gas can that has been sitting for awhile and I put the gas into the car. The next day I was sealing up a trans fluid leak so I decided to top off all the fluids. The oil dipstick was milky white, kinda frothy. My assumption is that condensation has gotten into the tank from the gas can and from the car sitting around not being driven. In fact when I got underneath the car, the oil pan and torque converter were wet with condensation. I changed the oil which looked like coffee with lots of creamer... After replacing with new oil and draining out the old gas, I put in new gas and cranked it up for a minute or two. When I checked the oil again, it was still milky but not as bad. Do I need to keep changing the oil and gas until it clears up? I'm scared of damaging my engine...

Tony
Follow my current Camaro project builds...
1967 Coupe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1968 Convertible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage
Re: milky oil remedy

I may be wrong and the experts will chime in here. But from what I know I don't see what the gas has to do with milky oil and that issue I've always known as coolant/antifreeze getting into the oil. Like a headgasket problem, ect.
DT likes this.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJProX View Post
I may be wrong and the experts will chime in here. But from what I know I don't see what the gas has to do with milky oil and that issue I've always known as coolant/antifreeze getting into the oil. Like a headgasket problem, ect.

I should clarify, although the car runs, it is not registered and has not been driven much at all. I crank it up for a few minutes every now and then. I am probably contributing to the condensation issue...It gets chilly here at night and then warm in the daytime this time of year...
Anyway I was concerned about water in the gas as well....

Tony
1967 Coupe

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 08:47 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJProX View Post
This ^^^^^^^^^

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 ...

1969 Convertible (just arrived)
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Water in your gas will not create milky oil.

The milky oil is from condensation/moisture or coolant in the oil. A cooling system pressure test will rule out coolant. From what you've told us, you are probably creating the issue by starting and running the engine for only a few minutes at a time. If you start and run the engine, you need to let it get up to normal operating temperature and then let it run for another 15 or 20 minutes before shutting it down. If you are running a cooler temp thermostat, your problem will be worse. A higher temp thermostat will help with the problem, but the real solution is to not run it for short periods of time.

I'd start it up, let it run for 30 or 45 minutes and then change the oil again. Until you can drive it, that's your only option.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 09:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Did you seal the threads on your head bolts when you installed the heads on that crate motor?? Several of the head bolts go into the water jackets, and can allow water/coolant to seep into the oil...

(I learned that on the first engine I ever put together... way back in '71...

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 09:10 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Condensate could be one source of water in the oil, but it won't amount to much by volume. When you checked your fluid levels was your coolant level down? As mentioned water in the oil is frequently caused by wicking fluid by way of head bolts, a blown head gasket, or a bad seal in the intake manifold gasket. Less likely on a new motor that hasn't been run is a cracked block or head.

Big Dave
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
Condensate could be one source of water in the oil, but it won't amount to much by volume. When you checked your fluid levels was your coolant level down? As mentioned water in the oil is frequently caused by wicking fluid by way of head bolts, a blown head gasket, or a bad seal in the intake manifold gasket. Less likely on a new motor that hasn't been run is a cracked block or head.

Big Dave
OK, so we may have narrowed this thing down. (With the help of all of you). I remember last week as I was doing the wiring, I loosened an intake manifold bolt and made a mental note to seal it back...I never sealed it back. I bet this is the source of the leak into the oil... When I changed the oil, too much fluid came out and when I checked the radiator water, it was low... I think we solved this one. I will confirm after work....
Thanks guys!

Tony
1967 Coupe

1968 Convertible

1969 Convertible
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Keep changing the motor oil and filter , even if you run cheaper oil thru after a good warm up, you can block the radiator off and build heat quickly , keep checking for moisture.

You said crate motor?? Yours? Someone eles? As someone mentioned , pressure up cooling system with a hand pump and wait and watch.

Yes, look at those head bolts/Studs.

Any chance of tasting any of the water droplets? If you taste somewhat sweet, its more likely coolant.
We did it all the time in the oil patch, salty , from well. No taste past the petroleum , was rain runoff etc. Had to watch out for some livestock.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 12:50 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

The worse thing you can do is fire up an engine in the winter without getting it to operating temp by going around the block a few times. Your way will rot out your exhaust system fast.
When winter comes with snow, store it and leave it alone until spring.

Mark 1970 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Retrofit Roller Cam

Owned: 1968 Z/28 in '74. 1971 Z28 from '75-'77 4-spd
Ordered new Z28's in 1977, 1978 & 1980, all 4-spds.
1970 Z28 owned since 1981
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 12:56 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
The worse thing you can do is fire up an engine in the winter without getting it to operating temp by going around the block a few times. Your way will rot out your exhaust system fast.
and with a battery tender plugged in too

68 Camaro~LSx
Best to Date....and tuning
1.546 60'.....7.132 @ 94.43 660'.....11.327 @ 116.79.

<-Pics

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 02:12 PM
Tech Team
Bill

I would make sure to solve the milky oil problem before firing the engine and running it for any length of time. Water or antifreeze will reduce the lubrication of your oil and possible damage moving parts, causing more problems and more $$$. It sounds like the most likely culprit is your intake manifold, as you said you may have left a bolt not tightened. Second possibility might be the head bolts if you didn't seal them. Use Permatex 2, RTV (any flavor) or Loctite® 592 PST®. When installing the intake and the heads, always use the proper torque and sequence for tightening the bolts.
Good luck!!

'69 375/396 TR 711 71 06A X22D80
LeMans Blue
'55 Chev PU Napco (Original)
350 Bright Yellow
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 02:40 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
and with a battery tender plugged in too
Mines in the basement with my John Deere batt alternating wkly on a tender

Mark 1970 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Retrofit Roller Cam

Owned: 1968 Z/28 in '74. 1971 Z28 from '75-'77 4-spd
Ordered new Z28's in 1977, 1978 & 1980, all 4-spds.
1970 Z28 owned since 1981
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech
mike

To add to this problem would be if water got into one of the cylinders and you tried to start it an hydrolocked the engine and bent some rods. Pull the plugs and see what the plugs look like, you might be able to see what cylinders are affected.
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 17, 07:36 PM
Tech Team
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Seriously, this is like car ownership 101 here.

I've heard (someone please correct me if I'm way off base here) that the oil temp has to be around 195f to start the moisture evaporating. Then you have to keep driving it long enough at that temp to get all the moisture out of the oil and all out of the crankcase ventilation system. That can take more than just going around the block a few times.

Usually tho, condensate in the oil will show it's self in the form of a light tan goop at the top of the dip stick and on the inside of the breather cap. If there is allot, it will be more like a jelly. The oil at the bottom of the dip stick will be totally normal.

If the OP's oil was like a milk chocolate, then condensate wasn't the problem.

But still, NEVER run your engine so little at a time.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode