Have a lead on 68 big block - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 17, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Terry

Have a lead on 68 big block

I have a lead on a 68 big block 4 speed car. Its been in storage for over 10 years and was told it was a 396. Owner later corrected that its a 427 - ok real excited now. Then owner says its a 427 with a 396 crank as he was trying to remember all the details. I now think it may be a 454 with 396 crank to equal a 427. I've never seen one and wonder what I should be looking for. Will also be looking for details to see if it is a factory big block car. Would actually be happy with any big block car...Hope to see it soon as it is a ways away. Any experience with this engine combo??
Thanks in advance,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 17, 05:24 PM
Tech Team
Greg

Garage
I've got a 427 from a 69 Impala in my 69 Camaro. It's originally a 390HP motor that had some minor tweaking as well as a cam upgrade. The engine builder estimated about 450HP which is fine for me in the lightweight Camaro body with a stick.

It's a blast to drive and revs like a small block. While I've heard before that a 454 block with a 396 crank yields a 427, I have no experience with an engine built that way.

I'd be interested to hear feedback on this combo.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 17, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Have a lead on 68 big block

A 454 with a 396 crankshaft displaces 427 cubes; but the crankshaft has the wrong counter weights for the bob-weight of the larger diameter bore 427 piston.

The 396 crankshaft is the same as the 427 crankshaft in stroke and journal size, but the counterweight design differs. The third counterweight on a 396 crankshaft is 3/4" wide, and with a 427 it is 7/8" wide. If you use a 396 with standard weight pistons you will need some Malory metal to balance the rotating assembly.

You could use longer rods to lighten the pistons by changing the compression height, and have them lightened even further in the machine shop, but it will cost more in labor; plus you are now buying eight rods as well as eight pistons. Better to buy a 496 rotating assembly from Scat and just run 350 horse 396 decals.

Big Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Assuming it's actually a 427, check to make sure that it's a low-deck (passenger car) motor and not a tall-deck truck motor.
To make sure it's a 427 and not some other big block, check the block casting numbers against mortec.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 12:15 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larger Dave View Post
A 454 with a 396 crankshaft displaces 427 cubes; but the crankshaft has the wrong counter weights for the bob-weight of the larger diameter bore 427 piston.

The 396 crankshaft is the same as the 427 crankshaft in stroke and journal size, but the counterweight design differs. The third counterweight on a 396 crankshaft is 3/4" wide, and with a 427 it is 7/8" wide. If you use a 396 with standard weight pistons you will need some Malory metal to balance the rotating assembly.

You could use longer rods to lighten the pistons by changing the compression height, and have them lightened even further in the machine shop, but it will cost more in labor; plus you are now buying eight rods as well as eight pistons. Better to buy a 496 rotating assembly from Scat and just run 350 horse 396 decals.

Big Dave
I did just about like Dave is describing with my 447 BBC. Used a 3.76 stroke Callies crank with 496 pistons and 6.635 inch rods. Came to within 0.005" of the stock deck height that way. The balance guy did have to lighten the crank a little to get it to balance, drilled a pretty healthy hole in both front and rear counterweights. The engine runs real well with the large bore and short stroke, revs almost like a small block.

Bryan
1967 Camaro 427 BBC, Viper T-56 6-Spd, Z28, Red w/ White Stripes
No, it's not stock.
No, it's not real.
No, it's not for sale.
It's just the way I like it.
1998 Camaro Z28, Daily Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode