bbc headers - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

bbc headers

I put a 502 in my 69 camaro.and im having problems getting the drivers side header to fit .its hitting my power steering pump and shifter linkage. I have seen a lot of people on here with the same problem of getting there headers to fit . has anyone found the right combo to fix this . I have big block frame mounts . and stock big block motor mounts but no luck I tried the hooker comp headers but they will not fit.I cant return them now because there scratched to bad . I dont have the money to keep buying headers IT seems like my only option is to try to find some one to build me a drivers side header. please help

Last edited by brroed; Aug 13th, 06 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 10:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Re: bbc headers

The Hooker Super comps fit on mine. You must have the correct pads and mounts, and not all the reproduction units are correct. Also, on the drivers side the engine had to come up to get them in. Yes, they are very close, I even shaved the head of one of the ps box bolts, but it did clear.

Jody
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 10:48 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Brroed and Camcojb, could you please include the Hooker part #'s. I am going to install Hookers with my BBC build also. Brroed, let us know the outcome. And Good Luck!
Thanks

Mark
'69 Yellow/Black Houndstooth RS/SS, 4 bolt Crate 350/325hp, TKO600 5 spd, A/C, P/S, PDB, Tilt, 12 Bolt Posi 4.10 Gears, Console&Gauges, Rosewood, Cruisin with XM on 70's (building a 496!)
'70 Chevelle w/SS add-ons, 350, 700r4
Pictures
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

If it helps, my Hooker Super Comp header number is HKR2205.

69 Camaro X11 SS clone 79B Ralley Green
66 Caprice 396 Tropic Turquoise.. in progress
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 12:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amptech
If it helps, my Hooker Super Comp header number is HKR2205.

Same set I used.

Jody
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 01:16 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Gotta lay the header in before you drop the motor in thats the only way I got mine to fit!

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h152/67ss/The%20pair/
67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFLC2...eature=channel
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 02:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I just installed a set of hooker super comps with 1 1/8 tubes and they fit pretty good. Its an auto car,so no linkage issues.Drivers side i had to trim a little bit off the frame mount as it hit the header.No problem with a sawzall.and the pass side i had to trim an inch off one upper contol arm shaft bolt. Both sides can be put in with the engine in the car.You just need to jack it up a few inches per side.Ive seen/used much worse. 2" Hooker comps fit like a glove.

bob
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

what kind of pads and mounts did you use. camcojb
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech

I just installed a ZZ502 in my 68 with 2" Hooker comps and they fit great.

It is critical to use the correct frame stands and motor mounts. Check Hookers tech info and installation notes. They only guaranty an interference free fit if you use stands and mounts from Ricks First Gen. I followed this advice and they went right in.

Driver side needs to be set laid in there with the engine up a few inches first, then lower the engine and bolt her up.

Passenger side goes right in from under the car.

I did prefit the headers to the engine before installing the engine. As a result...One thing I did have to do is grind some clearance notches into the header flanges so that the flanges would clear the lower head bolts on my alum heads (hopefully you already did this before installing the engine or you will have a lot more work to do).
Other than that, it was a great fit.
IMHO you should not have to take anything off your control arm bolts. This will kill your ability to adjust the aligment when the need arrises to add more shims and the headers should fit without having to do this.
Tim

Meanchicken
68 SS
ZZ502; TKO-600; 3:73 Moser 12-bolt w/Detroit TruTrak; SSBC Force 10 4 wheel power disks;QA1 Coil Overs; Global West Tubulars;GNX Quick Ratio 12:1 PS; Hotchkis Front Sway Bar
87 Buick Grand National (does 10's)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 06, 07:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroed
what kind of pads and mounts did you use. camcojb

Original GM on both.

Jody
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 01:21 PM
Phil

Jody is correct. I used repop motor mounts and they did not fit. I bough NOS Gm and they fit fine.

Now i have a set of lemmons and they fit perfect...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 06, 06:57 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

If you are getting ceramic coated the number is 2205-1HKR if not then 2205HKR are the black painted ones. I used the 2205-1HKR's, They were tight but once they were on they fit like a glove. We had to shave the mounting pad on Flamming River box to fit deeper into pocket on frame and shaved a little off the corner of box closest to header. I'm not 100% what mounts I have but the headers are on with no dings, bends or scratches.

69 454. Delaware If you wake up in the morning and put your feet on the floor, IT'S A GOOD DAY!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 06, 08:16 PM
Senior Tech

The Hooker "Super Comps" with 2 1/8 primarys will fit with or with out a turbo 400 and with PS. I have them in my 67 L78 4 speed piece and another set in a 68 attached to a LS7 454. Not a hell of a lot ground clearance though.

3 Rats and a Mighty Mouse

Corvette Bronze 68 SS L72 427, turbo 400.
One owner Black Duece {1962} FI Vette.

http://www.nitroalley.net
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 06, 01:33 AM
Senior Tech
Phil

I could only find one set of ceramic headers that were reasonable priced by hooker that were recommended for the BBC and power steering.

If I were to do it again with the engine in, I would do the drivers side first. I did the pass. side first and was hitting on the upper control arm when lifting the engine. Even with the pass side installed, I still got the drivers side to FINALLY fall into place. I had to jack my car to an uncomfortable height. This is the key so you can manuver the header into place. The first couple of attempts, I thought there was no way I was going to get it in. Crawl back out and jack the car up some more. Luckily, I have a jack and jack stands that will handle large 4 wheel drive trucks. Be safe! Phil

Growing Old is Mandatory Growing Up is Optional

Lemans Blue 1969 Camaro SS 396/350 HP X22D80 Documented
1966 396/360HP motor, non-number matching M-21 converted to M-22, original 12-bolt 3:55 posi rear-end
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 06, 05:52 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I'm the exception. I had a negative experience with the Hookers.
I have Hooker super comp 2205s and a zz454. They fit like OJ's glove. I have repop 67 BBC frame stands and motor mounts (from Ricks). I had to shave the header flanges, 2 power steering box bolt (600 model), and a mounting pad on the engine block...and then had to ding a little to clear the ps box. Also, the collector flanges were not square to the tube.
I don't blame hooker for the power steering box troubles, since this is not a stock configuration, but the headers required waaay to much work to get to fit.

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode