67 RS/SS headlight wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old May 28th, 11, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil McCullough

67 RS/SS headlight wiring

I have a 67 RS/SS convertible that has been apart for over 25 years, it has the original wiring harness's that have been cleaned and re-taped and are in pretty good condition. The issue is all tags and markings are un readable as far as reinstallation. all the harness's had been removed from the car for extensive body reworking. I have most of the wiring back where it belongs and am currently working on the front wiring, the hide away headlights, park lights horns etc. I have all the GM manuals and wiring diagrams as well as some aftermarket diagrams, but have found none that are very helpful for the RS hideaways!
It seems to me that I don't have enough wires to hook up the headlight motors and all the limit switches.
I have tried to find "living" examples but there are none in my area. I don't know where to turn for help. Parts suppliers can only offer there worthless pamphlets regarding the RS wiring issue! I'm stumped! hipirn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old May 28th, 11, 08:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Re: 67 RS/SS headlight wiring

http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old May 29th, 11, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil McCullough

Jason thanks for the reply. The depicted diagrams on that site are ones taken from various GM manuals and are marginally helpful but not very informative to a novice (with some experience) that is looking at a handful of wires that are not the same color as those depicted therein! Un-fortunatley only owners of 67 RS's will face this issue and thats not a very big audience... hipirn
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old May 29th, 11, 07:28 AM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: 67 RS/SS headlight wiring

Most venders sell the 67R/S wiring book it is laid out nice, sounds like you might need new harness, their are alot of different items that you need.Correct harnes is going to make job straight foward. If I could do it ,most can cause I am no means an Electrical expert. When harness is laid out and run correctly ,all conection points and plugs pretty much matched up. Wires are color code, green ,green/black & brown etc., also resistor wire that goes to light switch. ,relays and limit switchs .Realy the book will help!! Also do a surch on the subjct tones of info. I did mine almost seven years ago , and once got it all adjusted ,it has been troule free. Hope yours does the same! Just take your time.

Mike , Mountain Green,67R/S , 350 ,T400 , A/C
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old May 29th, 11, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech

Talking Re: 67 RS/SS headlight wiring

Boy , my spelling is way off today

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old May 29th, 11, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

First thing I would do ( and have done) is color the schematic and it will be much more clear to you. All the relays are the same, you just need to match the connections correctly, limit switches stop the motor running in each direction by breaking the ground. Good ground are essential and every switch relay or motor can be tested individually with a 12v, a test light or multimeter. There are lots of troubleshooting posts available if you search. Sorry icant be morehelp at the moment because I am writing this from an iPhone but get it wired best you can then tell us what it does or doesnt do.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.
the Melrose rs - L30 327/275hp
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil McCullough

Thanks for the comebacks (my 67RS/SS convt. is a family heirloom also). Apparently there is a 67 RS wiring book that I don't have? Where can I get one? All the ones I've seen thus far have about a 1/4 page diagram for the 67 setup and does not show each connection. The rest of the information is about other information (not head lights) and other models though they do have some diagnostic information.
One thing I know for sure, the wiring harness is original and no one but me has worked with it. I've been working on cars 50+ years and it's hard to admit that I'm stymied with this but I suppose that's one of the penalties of the "golden years"!
Also where do you find this kind of wiring information? is it archived on this forum or elsewhere? Thanks again for your indulgence.... hipirn
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech

It is called 67-69 RS ,console gauge & Headlight wiring diagram manual. I think Ricks, Classic Indutries, NPD, etc have them. The book is from JimOsborn reproduction.inc. www. osborn-reprodution.com . It is16 pages full of instructions and diagrams, good detail, hope this helps

Last edited by mike shields; May 30th, 11 at 08:03 AM.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 07:09 AM
Senior Tech

The 67 asemby manual is also good to show you were things are mounterd and how the wireing harness is routed under the hood and in the dash also, it is a copy of what the plant workers used back in the day.

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 08:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

There are just two wiring harnesses in the front of your car. If you have the two then your not missing anything. Is your harness stock or after-market? I have some pics of the limit switched and may be able take some others. Give me a idea where you are working.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 09:10 AM
Brian

Garage

The link in blue89bird's post is to a great resource of documents. The link listed for the 67-69 rs console gauge and headlight wiring is the manual mentioned "67-69 RS wiring manual" minus the front cover artwork. Its a zip file of a PDF scan so you can print it out and give it a good study. http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/Electrical/scan.zip

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
Click here
to send me a private message
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old May 30th, 11, 05:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Phil welcome to the site. I have a few of the front wiring, some before and some after restoration. Two pics are on there side so top is to the left.

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt. Limit.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	22631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lt-Hl.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	22632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt. limit.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	22634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt-Hl.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	22635  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reg..jpg
Views:	478
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	22636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring-rt.jpg
Views:	2107
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	22637  

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.

Last edited by rogerh; May 30th, 11 at 05:43 PM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Getting a '67 RS Camaro's headlight doors working again can be tricky.

Retro-Electro has nice replacement motors (the best in my opinion) and a nice troubleshooting guide as well as some wiring information. Enjoy.

http://retro-electro.net/FAQ67.html

I think the trickiest parts are the diode and the highbeam switch grounds.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old May 31st, 11, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Phil McCullough

Guys thanks for all the information. I have not been able to respond the past 24+ hours as my service provider (computer) had a catastrophic failure of some kind and I just got back on line. The pictures provided will be a big help. I all ready see one problem, the big red wire that goes to the right front does not have a terminal to hook too. The referenced site looks like it'll help too.
Apparently there are jumper wires that go between some of the limit switches that I don't have also. As soon as I get back to the car (trying to plant garden after the rain finally quit) I'll tune in as I'm sure to have other questions... Thanks again...... hipirn
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 11, 09:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Phil welcome to the site. I have a few of the front wiring, some before and some after restoration. Two pics are on there side so top is to the left.

Roger
Roger,

Thanks so much for those pictures...really helping me as well. Without trying to hijack this thread, anyway you can describe how your wiring harness lies that goes to the assorted limit switches.

Mine doesn't seem to have long enough wires to reach the limit switches inside the headlight capsules, and I'm thinking I just don't have the harness ran properly.

Thanks so much!

-Jason

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode