"Lifetime Battery" not so according to Firestone - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 11, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

"Lifetime Battery" not so according to Firestone

If you are one of the few remaining individuals who bought a JCPenney unlimited lifetime battery, what you thought you had may no longer be the case. These warranties have been serviced by Firestone for at least the past 20 years due to purchasing all of JCPenny's auto service centers. This was purchased in 1970 by the current/original owner of a 1969 camaro.

Today a manager at Firestone informed me the free lifetime battery placement would no longer be free. When I asked how Firestone arrived at this decision, he said they couldn't keep giving batteries away forever. I find this perplexing considering that is the essence of lifetime.

I understand it has been 40+ years and by now its gone longer than what JCPenny & Firestone likely expected. On the other hand, dont sell something you cant support. The fact it was sold by JCPenney and Firestone bought them is irrelevant. Purchasing the rights as they did also included all the liabilities for servicing claims. In any case how many of these could possible exist today? I'm sure its not many considering how long it took the manager to find anyone who had ever seen one or knew how to process it. Given his difficulty in handling the situation, it makes me wonder whether this was his personal commentary or an edict from corporate.

Has anyone here had any issues with this before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 11, 09:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: "Lifetime Battery" not so according to Firestone

I think that if you have a 40 year old battery and it just went out, regardless if you had the warranty, you got your monies worth...........

I would think that they would at least honor the warranty, in fact a letter or phone call could be in order for you. If I were Firestone, to say that I had a customer that had a forty year battery, I could use that for a commercial....

Brandan-

1969 Chevrolet Camaro 396 SS X-66
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/676916

1967 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2960049/1967-chevrolet-camaro
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 11, 10:15 PM
Senior Tech
alex

Sometime around 35 40 yrs ago we sold Willard lifetime batteries.Willard was a sub division of Eastern standard brands, it,s now all Exide.Those batteries we sold in groves. Back then bateries were 12 /24/ or 36 month was the best.Everything was going fine for about 4 yrs, then they started coming back faster than we sold them 98 percent of them were NG. The warranties drove us crazy and almost put Willard out of bisiness. In any event they made good on all the claims and after about 18 months they got rid of the name willard and E S B no longer took care of the warranties. This is what happened up in my neck of the woods . i don,t know if they sold them nation wide or just in the north east. Alex
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 12:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Wink Re: "Lifetime Battery" not so according to Firestone

I would ask them to show me the policy change IN WRITTING and 'if' ... they can produce a document ask for a copy.
Then take my original sales copy and file in my local Small Claims juristriction to get the expected value of the original warranty (based on the number or batteries expected for the remaing time I would own the vehicle) in my demand.

I bet the manager will balk at your request - and then as you stand there waiting ... just give you another battery to make you go away.
If not, or he won't/can't show the policy change in writting, ask him for the contact information for customer complaints at Firestone.
A warranty is a written performance document (and contract) between you and the original provider (Firestone DBA J.C.Penny Auto Center) - it can only be changed if you agree to the changes.
If they fail to perform you have legal right to proceed and recover your replacement battery value ...

I've got lots of 'Limited' lifetime warranty parts on cars - brakes, alternators, starters, water pumps and etc. - when they go bad I take them back
Do get 'the look' at times but usually they give me the parts with no questions after I hand them the paperwork.
Went through the "we don't do that anymore" a few years back with Bendix over a "Lifetime" friction material replacement warranty - same truck (owned since new in 1977), Bendix pads bought in 1984 - on it's 4th replacement set of front pads now, last three free
Took a minor amount of time and one letter to get the last set ...

I don't turn-over of some of the 'fleet' very often
I fiqure they'll put a 'hit' out on me eventually - it would cost them less

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
Other V8 things - some of which float
Other V6 things - none of which float
Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 01:10 AM
Senior Tech

Vintage 68 I like your style!

Same thing happened with my Abu Carcia Ambassadeur Fishing reel.
It was bought about 15 years a go with a lifetime warranty, newer used it much in the past 15 years, just occasionally whenever I got the chance to go fishing few times a year.

Well this summer the reel went bad and I contacted the manufacturer who forwarded me to this service company that today takes care of all services for them in Finland. Sent my reel to be serviced and well well guess what, got it back with a ~200$ service fee!

I went a bit mad since nobody said anything that a) it would cost me money to have it serviced, b) that the lifetime warranty was over...
Huge fight over the payment, eventually I never did pay but they expected me to understand that using the reel for 15 years was a lifetime.

Why would they sell the reel with a lifetime warranty if this was not the case? There is even a certificate in the original reel box from the royal majesty of sweden that Abu guarantees my reef for a lifetime The new reels they sell are only with 10 year warranty

This reel will be the last reel I will ever buy, it's got a lifetime warranty, although I might get into trouble trying to get it serviced ever again in the same place...

E.Y. Finland,
-67 RS
Orig: PG + 327/275 + 12-bolt.
Now: SBC409 TKO600
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 04:26 AM
Senior Tech
mark

I can not stress this enough but I hate firestone. I will never buy anything from them again. not only did they not honor there warranty but they tried to blame me for their bad tires. but enough about me. hope you are able to get them to replace your battery. mark
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 05:09 AM
Brian

Garage

Check with your own States Chief Attorney General's office. But in most cases if its in writing they have to honor it unless they have filed for chapter 11 protection, or settled with the state to discontinue the "protection" at which point you would have had to been notified in writing of the discontinuance, and been offered compensation. In some states just posting a notice in the paper serves as the writing portion of the notice.

Doesn't hurt to also write a letter to the president of Firestone - and look at your local media for one of the "action teams" that love these type of stories. Like a small dog at the ankles they make Public Relations folks sweat at night.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
Click here
to send me a private message
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 05:28 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Raybestos had a "forever brakes" warranty (as long as you owned the car)....Last time I went in they said it was the last set and they don't honor it anymore (Western Auto)
Well... neither did the truck

68 Camaro~LSx
Best to Date....and tuning
1.546 60'.....7.132 @ 94.43 660'.....11.327 @ 116.79.
RedЯum <-Pics
More here
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 05:44 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

I went to Firestone once because i had a blowout and needed a tire right then and there.
Service manager came out to me and said "we just checked your injectors and they are real dirty and he can do a $110 cleaning." At that point i said oh wow you really took an injector out of my work van? That would take forever let me see. And he started stuttering like skipping record and said if you don't want it done no problem. I said i want to see that you took out an injector on my van please! Then he started mumbling that he doesn't really know how the mechanic checks and walks out the door to the garage. Of course the waiting room is packed and watched the whole thing. And i never had a new tire put on a truck so fast in my life, he wanted me out of there so bad so he could rape the rest of the crowd.

1967 Camaro RS/SS Clone 350ci Powerglide 12 bolt 3.55 gears...Project
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...20SS/038-1.jpg
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 10:05 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Wow, 40 years later and you really expect to get a replacement battery for free? Good luck. Do you have the original receipt???

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 ...
1969 Convertible (just arrived)
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
Wow, 40 years later and you really expect to get a replacement battery for free? Good luck. Do you have the original receipt???
Why shouldn't he expect one if it was sold to him with a "lifetime replacement" warranty? Are you saying companies shouldn't have to uphold their contracts? Like was said before barring, a bankruptcy which would eliminate that liability it caries over when the company is sold...
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 10:46 AM
Tech Team
Don

Generally today a "lifetime warranty" just covers the useful life of the product and not a replacement. If it is no longer "serviceable" the useful life is over.
In my business a customer brought a product in that looked as if an elephant sat on it. In fact it was in about six pieces. According to the customer...no one ever used it...it just self destructed.

But they could just shoot you and that would end the warranty

49 Redhead (First Joy)
69 X-11; 383 Stroker/TH350; GearVendor; Moser 3:73; ...Second Joy
1950 Chevy Panel Delivery, 350/TH350 RestoMod.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 11:28 AM
Senior Tech
K.P. Walsh

I could barely get walmart to replace a almost brand new walmart battery that was leaking acid through the posts. first the kid at the counter told me "i cant just exchange it, it has to be tested", I replied "thats not needed as I am not questioning the charge, its leaking acid"
after 10 minutes of attempting to explain the not needing a recharge situation I asked for the "manager". a man my age came up. I restated my position and did'nt care about the policy or recharge to qualify replacement. I kept it simple and politely asked for my replacement battery, I got it. The 15 or 20 people behind me got a good class on how to get what you want at walmart. just keep asking for the manager, and in some cases I have gone thru 4 or 5 managers before I get whatever it happens to be.

kevin p...................
1972.5 Camaro!
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 11:39 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

[QUOTE=DonA;1633848]Generally today a "lifetime warranty" just covers the useful life of the product and not a replacement. If it is no longer "serviceable" the useful life is over.
In my business a customer brought a product in that looked as if an elephant sat on it. In fact it was in about six pieces. According to the customer...no one ever used it...it just self destructed.

Useful life of the product and not a replacement

X2

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 11, 11:42 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock1969RS View Post
Why shouldn't he expect one if it was sold to him with a "lifetime replacement" warranty? Are you saying companies shouldn't have to uphold their contracts? Like was said before barring, a bankruptcy which would eliminate that liability it caries over when the company is sold...
We are talking about a 40 year old battery here!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode