67 RS headight harness upgrade - adding relays or relay harness - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 03:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Re: 67 RS headight harness upgrade - adding relays or relay harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_P View Post
Jonathon- you shouldn't. Judging by your sig, your car is a '68 RS so its headlight doors should be vacuum operated. The above modification is a fix for a quirk of the '67 RS relay board (electrically operated headlight doors) where the addition of headlight relays breaks one of the ground paths for the door operating circuit through the bulbs. The extra relay restores a ground path and normal function, but is only necessary for the '67 RS cars.
I'm going back with electric on mine Brian. So it looks like another couple will have to be installed??

68 Resto-Mod in progress..355sbc .350 Trans Rushforth wheels
My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 03:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

Hm. If you've removed a stock '67 RS harness, relay board, motors, and limit switches to install in your '68 then perhaps. If you're using any kind of aftermarket electric conversion kit it's less likely as they probably wouldn't have engineered it this way. Also, the install of the light relays is the same as any car, it's just the addition of a fourth relay to the original three on the relay board for the headlight door operating circuit.

On a side note, I glanced at your build thread - car looks great!

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 03:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Ok good deal. I will be getting an aftermarket kit not picked one specifically as of yet but yes I will be going that route. I have already installed everything as far as relays and wiring goes out in the engine bay. I'm not too far into it to add anything else so all is good at the moment. I just saw your post and thought it'd be a good time to ask. Thanks for the quick replies.

My Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 03:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

No problem! I can't swear to it (haven't used an aftermarket electric conversion kit) but electronics have advanced a bit in the past few decades and I can't imagine anyone making a conversion kit with the same shortcoming - the complexity of the '67's electric relay setup just isn't necessary anymore. I think you should be fine as-is.

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 15, 03:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jonathon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_P View Post
No problem! I can't swear to it (haven't used an aftermarket electric conversion kit) but electronics have advanced a bit in the past few decades and I can't imagine anyone making a conversion kit with the same shortcoming - the complexity of the '67's electric relay setup just isn't necessary anymore. I think you should be fine as-is.
Thank you again sir!!....

My Build:
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 15, 11:17 AM
Tech Team
David

Re: 67 RS headight harness upgrade

I just got an after market harness that allows the HL switch to operate on lower current (relays) and keeps the HIGH current at the headlamps. My Camaro is an 67 RS/SS. Will I have the same issue with the doors not closing?

'67 RS/SS 396 4spd Muncie 12 bolt diff.
1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 15, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

Unsure not knowing the specifics but if you're using the original RS door setup with the relay board, I suspect you will have this issue.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old Jun 22nd, 16, 08:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Will

Greetings gentlemen and or ladies: I am a new member to this site so please forgive me if I inadvertently step on any toes as that is not my intention. It appears the last post to this thread is slightly over a year old so there is a chance no one will see this. I just received this years Classic Industries annual catalogue in which on page 239 they list items # 14589 for 67 and 68 RS models and # 14590 for 69 vintages. Both conversions are priced at $780. Classic claims that this kit greatly simplifies the door opening /closing through the headlight switch and there are only two wires to connect. I have requested a PDF of the instructions from Classic and if they email it I will post it in this thread. From the product description it appears the hot wire ties into the headlight relay somewhere near the driver side of the radiator and the ground goes to the right (passenger) fender. It appears that the complicated system originally designed by Chevrolet all comes out inclusive of the stop switches and relays under the left fender. I have been struggling for 5 years to get my 67 headlight doors to work without success. Two auto electric shops could not make them work as designed. I like most of you would like to keep my Camaro as original as possible but I like to see where I am going at night more. This system was not in last years catalogue and a quick call to Classic determined that this is a new design and this is the first year it has been marketed. Should I opt to purchase the system I will post items of significance in this thread. Thanks for your time and please drive safely.

Detective Lt. Will, Chief of Homicide/ Chief Deputy Coroner: RETIRED AFTER 32 years.

67 Camaro RS /327 -275 hp
Powerglide to 2:73 rear gears
Black vinyl over Ermine White
30,000 documented mile survivor
Second owner. P.O.P car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode